ArmyTek Predator 2.5 (XP-G2 R5 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Regular and Pro Review: RUNTIME+

s013202

Newly Enlightened
Need some help with my Predator v2.5
I want to program the "screwed in" line to full brightness and lock it there if possible. Feel free to treat me as a real novice so step by step please!
The manual for the v2.3 is very hard for me to understand.
The "unscrewed" line is already strobe which I want.
I just want to set it this way and leave it.
Thanks a million.

First to say,i'm not a English-speaking person.
So sometimes you may not understand what i mean , if there is,please point it out and i'll try to explain again.
I think you want to set the "screwed in" line ,which i used to call line 1 ,to only one mode with full brightness,right?
If it is , follow the steps below:
A.Set line 1 to only one mode.
1.Stay in line 2.(Un-screwed)
2.Turn tight to change to line 1. (wait and let it become line 1)
3.Turn loose to change to line 2. (wait and let it become line 2)
4.Click off & on fast. (within 1 second)
Step 2. to 4. need to be done within 3 seconds!
5.Click off & on fast by three times. (you will see indication with 4 blinks cycling)
6.Tighten & loosen fast. (within 1 second)
7.Do step 6. again immediately after indication with 1 blink
8.Do step 6. again.
9.Done.:huh:

B.Change brightness of line 1.
1.Stay in line 1.
2.Turn loose to change to line 2. (wait and let it become line 2)
3.Turn tight to change to line 1. (wait and let it become line 1)
5.Light start first with three firefly modes,then ramp up to the full brightness.(blinks at 25% 50% 75% 100%)
6.Loosen & tighten fast. (within 1 second)
7.Done.:huh:

If you want to save the current settings of the flashlight into user's Custom preset, do the following steps:
1.Stay in line 2.(Un-screwed)
2.Turn tight to change to line 1. (wait and let it become line 1)
3.Turn loose to change to line 2. (wait and let it become line 2)
5.Click off & on fast again.(you will see indication with 2 blinks cycling)
6.Tighten & loosen fast. (within 1 second)
7.Click off & on fast immediately after indication with 3 blink.
8.Done.:huh:

alltoclear

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, i m in a dilemma in deciding whether to get the predator pro or a viking pro. i notice the viking has more lumen but shorter throw. Which light do you guys recommend if i intend to mostly use the light for jungle hiking and trail walking at night.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Which light do you guys recommend if i intend to mostly use the light for jungle hiking and trail walking at night.
Hmmm, I personally tend to prefer a more general beam for those sorts of tasks - so would generally recommend the Viking. I don't like path walking with a too narrowly focused light - it sort of becomes "follow the bouncing ball" of the hotspot, as opposed to attending to what's all around your feet. In the jungle, you are going to want to see what is all around you, and up ahead.

On the other hand, a good quality diffuser can turn any light into a flooder. If you think you might come into clearings where the extra throw of the Predator would come in handy, then that could be another option (i.e., Predator with a removable diffuser). For that matter, you may even what a diffuser for the Viking, should you go that route (which I still think is probably your best bet).

Somewhat different environment, but I did post my experience of using different style lights in a primary and secondary rainforest a few years ago. The lights have all changed, but the general experience persists. :wave:

EDIT: thedoc007 makes a good point below that overall spill angle is the same for the two lights - and so both may be a bit restrictive for a trail walk without a diffuser.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, i m in a dilemma in deciding whether to get the predator pro or a viking pro. i notice the viking has more lumen but shorter throw. Which light do you guys recommend if i intend to mostly use the light for jungle hiking and trail walking at night.

I'd go with the Predator if you are willing to also buy and use the diffuser. Neither light is any good for hiking, really, without a diffuser attached. While the Viking does have a larger hotspot, the spill angle is exactly the same, and both lights have narrower spill than most other lights of equivalent size. I have found flooders to be immensely more useful for night hiking. Wide spill allows you to see your surroundings much better, and specifically trip hazards are MUCH easier to spot without having to constantly wave the light around.

alltoclear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Advice noted. Btw, does a 5degree vs a 10degree hotspot makes a big different in a near distance say about 5 to 10 meter in front of us? or it is barely noticeable??

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, Advice noted. Btw, does a 5degree vs a 10degree hotspot makes a big different in a near distance say about 5 to 10 meter in front of us? or it is barely noticeable??

The Predator hotspot is noticeably more intense, at any range. The Predator's XP-G2 is VERY well focused.

mellowhead

Enlightened
I concur with selfbuilt and thedoc007: I wouldn't use my Predator Pro for hiking/trails unless I had to. Although, I do always bring it with me when I'm backcountry hiking and camping - both as a backup to my headlamp that I primarily use, and for long-distance spotting of trails, markers, landforms, etc. Particularly useful for night hiking and trail finding. It would also be excellent at emergency signalling, if I were to find myself in that sort of situation.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I concur with selfbuilt and thedoc007: I wouldn't use my Predator Pro for hiking/trails unless I had to. Although, I do always bring it with me when I'm backcountry hiking and camping - both as a backup to my headlamp that I primarily use, and for long-distance spotting of trails, markers, landforms, etc. Particularly useful for night hiking and trail finding. It would also be excellent at emergency signalling, if I were to find myself in that sort of situation.

That is pretty much what I use it for. I have a Spark Headlamp on my head and the Predator in my pocket or belt. The Spark has a fairly floody beam which is nice for hiking, but because it lacks the long distance throw I use the Predator to supplement it when I need to see something further out.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is this too big to pocket carry? anybody here pocket carry it? Can the cigar ring be removed?

Last edited:

mellowhead

Enlightened
Is this too big to pocket carry? anybody here pocket carry it? Can the cigar ring be removed?
The cigar ring can be removed. The package includes a rubber band that you can install instead, which sits flush with the outside of the battery tube. It's the same band that is already mounted just in front of the cigar ring - visible in post #1 of this thread.
I can put it in my pocket, and have a few times, but it makes me look very... um... "happy to see you" - if you know what I mean...:naughty:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is certainly POSSIBLE to pocket carry it, but it is on the large side for a single 18650 light. And because the head is quite a bit wider than the body, it also doesn't slip in and out very easily.

You can easily remove the cigar ring. That was the first thing I did when I got my Predator.

stanleywen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your detailed preview! :thumbsup:
I had tried a Predator Pro at a local dealer's store, and felt it's not powerful compared to others cheaper XM-L/XM-L2 flashlights.
Now I know I was wrong. I should try it outdoor, the Predator is a pocket (or backpack) thrower!

One friend surprised me by throwing his Predator Pro to the ground 5 meters away, on the concrete floor. :eek:
When I went to pick the flashlight up, I can't find any damage or scratch on it.
Many of my flashlights got obvious scars after I accidentally drop them to the ground (about 1 meter height).
I have no idea how Armytek make their flashlight so robust? :thinking:

The local Armytek dealer just told me he may have a sale next month.
In fact, I can't already wait ! :hairpull:

recDNA

Flashaholic
So I have a new Predator Pro. I must be pretty stupid because I cannot figure out how to put on the clip or even WHERE the clip goes. Could someone help me out? Thanks!

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
If I remember correctly in front of the cigar ring there's a rubber ring that u take off and the clip fits in there ...don't have mine anymore.....

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I really like the predator, but it was a bit outta my budget. I ended up getting a nitecore p15. I find it to be a poor man's Predator. Size & dimensions very similar and both sport xp-g2. Would be interesting to see the two side-by-side for a beam comparison. Does anyone have both?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I noticed that unprotected li ion is set to shut off at 2.8 volts. Of course if my pro is set to LiFe mode that is 2.5 volts which is even worse. Doesn't it need to shut off at 3.7 volts to prevent damaging the battery?

mellowhead

Enlightened
I noticed that unprotected li ion is set to shut off at 2.8 volts. Of course if my pro is set to LiFe mode that is 2.5 volts which is even worse. Doesn't it need to shut off at 3.7 volts to prevent damaging the battery?

It depends on what the manufacturer's recommendations are for the cell that you are using. If you look at the most common cell out there - the 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B - Panasonic's spec sheet has a discharge graph that shows a 2.5V cutoff for a 100% discharged cell. I don't recommend 100% DOD cycles, as they will not only diminish the capacity of the cell, but also put you at higher risk of a "thermal event". That's a nice way of saying "catch fire". I think 2.7 or 2.8 is a reasonable level; it puts you into the 80-90% DOD range.