ASP Lights

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any opinions on the ASP range of lights? I had never heard of them until today,i did find some threads here but all are older.

Cheers Dave

Mike 208

Enlightened
I have 3 ASP lights (not counting the 2 small led lights that have a built-in clip, which was intended to compete with the Photon lights). IMO, the ASP lights are very well made, and will take a lot of abuse.

My lights are the older models (I forgot the model numbers): I have 2 incandescent 2 CR123A lights, with a rubber-like material (the same that is put on their batons) barrel, that can be used as a stand-alone flashlight or attached to an ASP baton (both have focusing beams - One is focused by turning the head; The other is done by turning a knob on the rear of the reflector ["set-it-and-forget-it"], which was the first version and my favorite). They were made to fit inside their 16" ASP belt holders, but later came out with a light specific holster. Both have pushbutton "forward" tailcap switches. This light was replaced by an LED version, which could be purchased (IIRC) as a 2,3 or 4 cell light, or purchased as a set with all barrel sizes. The head had 3 LEDs. Except for inside a uniform store and on-line, I've only seen one of these lights, which was carried by an LAPD Officer investigating a "silent robbery alarm" call at a private residence 2-3 years ago.

The third light I have is an LED (forgot model number, and IIRC is 140 lumens), that takes 2 CR123A batteries. It has a removable pocket clip, and has a pushbutton tailcap switch. The tailcap can be set to 3 positions: Off, momentary on and constant on. This light can also be had with a tailcap switch which just had on-off. They also had a one-cell version.

As I said, the lights are good, but somewhat overpriced IMO.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your responses.I have never seen one,but reading up on them i am surprised they dont have more of a following.
Maybe there price is a problem.

eff

Enlightened
I just checked their website. They're not really cheap, but still affordable. One thing though, according to the description, their lights seem to only run at full power, and don't have medium/low modes. Am I wrong ?

YAT-YASNYC

Newly Enlightened
latestarter---
As a member of a large department (NYPD) I've had the oppurtunity to see all types of lights of different brands. I've been using ASP lights for a while and have no complaints. Our dept has, IMHO, outdated regulations on what we can carry (think the old bulky D cell mag-light). I rarely see anyone carry those anymore simply because they're too cumersome, fragile and not as all that bright. Several of my co-worker's carry ASP flashlights. I personally carry the ASP Triad USB as my primary light in their actical light case on my duty belt. The lumen output is about 300 plus it uses a 18650 Lithium-ion rechargable battery that can be charged thru the flashlight's micro USB port (the battery does not have to be removed). For a back up light I carry their scribe light which fits into my shirt front pocket (145 lumen output, runs on two AAA bateries). Again, typical wear on tear of police work (rain and dropping it) and no problems with these lights at all.

eff

Enlightened
latestarter---
As a member of a large department (NYPD) I've had the oppurtunity to see all types of lights of different brands. I've been using ASP lights for a while and have no complaints. Our dept has, IMHO, outdated regulations on what we can carry (think the old bulky D cell mag-light). I rarely see anyone carry those anymore simply because they're too cumersome, fragile and not as all that bright. Several of my co-worker's carry ASP flashlights. I personally carry the ASP Triad USB as my primary light in their actical light case on my duty belt. The lumen output is about 300 plus it uses a 18650 Lithium-ion rechargable battery that can be charged thru the flashlight's micro USB port (the battery does not have to be removed). For a back up light I carry their scribe light which fits into my shirt front pocket (145 lumen output, runs on two AAA bateries). Again, typical wear on tear of police work (rain and dropping it) and no problems with these lights at all.

Thanks for your comment. Any reasons why you prefer to carry an ASP light with only one mode, over a multimode light (surefire, HDS, etc...) ?

YAT-YASNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your comment. Any reasons why you prefer to carry an ASP light with only one mode, over a multimode light (surefire, HDS, etc...) ?

Eff----
From what I've used and seen in the past, "multi-mode" also required "multi-movements". From my experience both on patrol (midnights) and T & E thru training, I found that under stress it's not practical to have to make a decision of what direction to turn the on/off switch or how hard to press the on/off button whether it's to adjust the brightness, color, or strobe, especially if that stress is of a confrontational type with a perp right in front of me. Not to mention if I had my weapon out as well. What do we do if under that stress we accidentaly turn the switch to the wrong setting? It sounds simple enough, but so does a phase 1 malfunction on the range let alone in a gun fight. As far as a strobe feature, while it may very well be disorienting to the subject I'm dealing with, I found it to be just as disorientating for myself. Just like it's confusing for a subject, how often do those in the law enforcement/military field train to deal with a subject appearing under a strobe. Again, these are just my opinions based on my personal experiences.

bnemmie

Enlightened
From the title of this thread I was hoping the topic would be about this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010KOZXW/?tag=cpf0b6-20. I carry a baton every day and saw these lights as more of a novelty then an actual tool, but I have never had my hands on one. I was curious if anyon eactually carries this on their baton or belt every day and could comment on its usefulness and practicality from the prospective of an LEO.

Last edited: