Assistance requested for tattoo design ((Update - Artwork Finalized))

The Mad Scotsman

Newly Enlightened
Who are you to laugh at and judge a man about a tatoo? Bruce is a well respected CPFer who loves the hobby. People get tats that have to do with stuff that is important to them, the hell with what anyone thinks.

Better than getting a devil or a bloody skull or even a pot leaf tatoo. :D

Tatoos dont make someone any less Christian. :devil:

I have no problem with tattoos; I even have a "You'll never get a job that pays taxes" tattoo. There are valid arguments on both sides concerning whether or not it is ok for a Christian to get tattoos.

I just think that a tattoo of a flashlight is super cheesy, right up there with skulls and pot leafs.

You guys can blow sunshine up each others butts all you want but I intend to let the guy know that there are people out there that will laugh at him. If he doesn't care then good for him, but I think he does care.

I'm sorry that you all think a dissenting opinion given frankly is tantamount to trolling.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry that you all think a dissenting opinion given frankly is tantamount to trolling.
I don't think that at all. That's one of the great foundations of America - "Scotsman" - the freedom of speech. I welcome dissent when it is applicable. In this case, sure, I can see where your opinion could or could not be validated. But where I do think you err is when you bring the Christian/tattoo debate into a thread. This topic is more reserved for the Underground, so if you continue to tread that line, please move the discussion to that specific area of CPF and let's leave what's been said said.

Back on topic, I've always felt that any tattoo a person gets should have intrinsic meaning in that person's life - in one way or another - whether good or bad. The worst possible rationale for getting any sort of permanent markings/branding/inking/whatever on your body is because it's the trendy thing to do. I don't dislike armbands, nor do I particularly hate tramp-stamps (I know....bad phrasing :eek:), but I think a terrible reason for getting one is "because everyone else is getting one too". To me, that's just infantile and immature to say the least. Do it for your own reasons or don't do it.

If someone laughs at me for having a particular tattoo or marking on my body, so be it. I've never EVER been the type of person who does something for the sole purpose of seeking another's approval. My tattoo's are "for me"...plain and simple. If you don't like them, that's cool. If you do, that's cool too. Bottom line is this: I love God, am a follower of Christ, and don't mind displaying a part of scripture permanently on my body which affirms what I believe in. The flashlight illustration just so happens to fit the particular verse well in my opinion, and I've enjoyed becoming a part of this community of believers and non-believers alike. Strange as it may sound, CPF is kind of like a second family to me. Your relatively low post count signifies the disconnect from this wonderful experience. I hope you stick around long enough to build the relationships I have. I've met some great people here and I've also unfortunately met a few bad eggs. But for the most part it's an honest bunch who happen to share in enjoying a nice break from reality - collecting/using/modifying flashlights. I'm proud to be a part of that group and it's been a positive experience in my life.

So by that description, I think the tattoo is justifiable since it has intrinsic value to me. YMMV

The Mad Scotsman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that at all. That's one of the great foundations of America - "Scotsman" - the freedom of speech. I welcome dissent when it is applicable. In this case, sure, I can see where your opinion could or could not be validated. But where I do think you err is when you bring the Christian/tattoo debate into a thread. This topic is more reserved for the Underground, so if you continue to tread that line, please move the discussion to that specific area of CPF and let's leave what's been said said.

Back on topic, I've always felt that any tattoo a person gets should have intrinsic meaning in that person's life - in one way or another - whether good or bad. The worst possible rationale for getting any sort of permanent markings/branding/inking/whatever on your body is because it's the trendy thing to do. I don't dislike armbands, nor do I particularly hate tramp-stamps (I know....bad phrasing :eek:), but I think a terrible reason for getting one is "because everyone else is getting one too". To me, that's just infantile and immature to say the least. Do it for your own reasons or don't do it.

If someone laughs at me for having a particular tattoo or marking on my body, so be it. I've never EVER been the type of person who does something for the sole purpose of seeking another's approval. My tattoo's are "for me"...plain and simple. If you don't like them, that's cool. If you do, that's cool too. Bottom line is this: I love God, am a follower of Christ, and don't mind displaying a part of scripture permanently on my body which affirms what I believe in. The flashlight illustration just so happens to fit the particular verse well in my opinion, and I've enjoyed becoming a part of this community of believers and non-believers alike. Strange as it may sound, CPF is kind of like a second family to me. Your relatively low post count signifies the disconnect from this wonderful experience. I hope you stick around long enough to build the relationships I have. I've met some great people here and I've also unfortunately met a few bad eggs. But for the most part it's an honest bunch who happen to share in enjoying a nice break from reality - collecting/using/modifying flashlights. I'm proud to be a part of that group and it's been a positive experience in my life.

So by that description, I think the tattoo is justifiable since it has intrinsic value to me. YMMV

I didn't bring the Christian/tattoo debate in here. I think some assumed I was because I mentioned I was a Christian. I only mentioned I was a Christian to say that as one Christian to another I care enough about you to say something other than what you might want to hear. Some people appreciate the truth; I know I do. Anyway, enjoy your tattoo.

For what it's worth, I have 3 tattoos. None of them have any significance other than the fact that I thought they looked cool at the time and I most certainly did not get them "for myself", whatever that means. I totally got them to be a rebel and look cool. I don't believe anyone gets tattooed for any other reason.

The Mad Scotsman

Newly Enlightened
Why would someone get a portrait of a deceased family member or friend??

To be cool? :shrug:

I'll answer your question with another question. Why not keep a photo of your deceased love one in your wallet instead. Why put their picture on your arm? Don't get me wrong, I think a tattoo of a loved one is a great idea but why would we do that rather than just keep a photo?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer.

It is a purely subjective opinion/decision.

Therefore, brighterisbetter is not in the wrong for wanting a flashlight tattoo, and you are not in the wrong for getting tattoos to be cool.

But I tell you what. I plan on getting tattoos in the future, and they will be for me. In places that will only be visible, at the least opportunities.
Upper thigh, upper arm/shoulder etc.
I will show them to people who are interested, but keep them too myself as my little piece of personal artwork/uniqueness.

You may feel that no one gets tattoos for any other reason than too be cool, and that is fine!
That is your subjective opinion, but there is no need to come into a thread requiring assistance and say so.

Also I forgot to add.
A person may wish to get a tattoo of a loved one to feel some of the pain that they may have gone through.
Or experience a more emotional connections with the image.

Last edited:

Latest posts