AW C Li-Ion cells, what will you replace them with?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm mistaken and something has recently changed AW doesn't make IMR17500's, though many of us are hoping they will come out someday.
Yeah, my bad. Guess I was thinking of his IMR18500. (Which, as a C-cell replacement, is actually better than 17500.)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my bad. Guess I was thinking of his IMR18500. (Which, as a C-cell replacement, is actually better than 17500.)

Yes, it does have more capacity, but it does not fit in stock Surefire P/C/Z/G bodies or E-series bodies either.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
...while my 2C mag 1111 setup runs fine on the blue label C cells that are now out, my M6 with short tail cup accommodates AW black label C cells but not the blue label ones.
There maynow be a solution for that, the red 25500 protected cells (e.g. sku S009415 from one of the dealers-we-dare-not-name) are of a more modest length, noticeably shorter than the blue ones. Don't know how they perform; I only use mine for low-drain (<1A) use. They might not perform very well under hotwire drain levels.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
There maynow be a solution for that, the red 25500 protected cells (e.g. sku S009415 from one of the dealers-we-dare-not-name) are of a more modest length, noticeably shorter than the blue ones. Don't know how they perform; I only use mine for low-drain (<1A) use. They might not perform very well under hotwire drain levels.

Thanks. :thumbsup: When my AW's are retired I will have to give those a chance.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This highlights the danger of using proprietary, single source cells. The maker goes away or drops the product and you are left with no support. Hardly anybody makes protected cells.

All my lites can run on either 18650 or 123s. My 2x18650 lites can also run on 4x123, in case protected 18650s disappear.

Anyway, if I had one of these 2xC with C-Bezel, I would run Alkalines in it or more likely NiMH C cells, all with Malkoff M31 drop in module. It would make for insane brightness, circa 230-260 lumens and pretty decent runtime, even with Alkalines. On AA chemistry, it's the brightest 2xAA lite you can use, so the C cell can only be better.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The problem is if you had a setup that requires the higher Lithium voltage previously made by a "dealer that we dare not name." Luckily I have 5 remaining "dealer that we dare not name" protected C cells left.

Otherwise, the only possible source is using unprotected cells from a "discount dealer whose name shall never be uttered under penalty of dismemberment," which I plan on using and transferring the protection circuit from the "dealer that we dare not name's" product with my handy battery pack welder, and some 1 mil shrink I found. Where there's a will, there's a way.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the 4000+ mAh capacity of IMR 26650's has rendered 26500's one of the form factors I've skipped over and will continue to skip over. I now drive >3.5 A lights only with 26650's in M@g D bodies, with NiMH or NiCad C or D cells in various bodies, or 6S2P or 9S2p (MYSTERY #)mega AA battery holders or 1S3P 18650 battery holders in his 2005 vintage wide body lights (Which I paid for and which are no longer offered).

I am tempted to buy a C thread single 26650 body to use with D26 drop-ins and Sure(combustion synonym) heads (called bezels by manufacturer) from (Mystery #)mega.

In the interest of cpf integrity, I admit that my next-door neighbor in the 1980's was named Schilling which may or may not be a German derivitive or precursor of the English word Shilling.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is if you had a setup that requires the higher Lithium voltage previously made by a "dealer that we dare not name." Luckily I have 5 remaining "dealer that we dare not name" protected C cells left.

Otherwise, the only possible source is using unprotected cells from a "discount dealer whose name shall never be uttered under penalty of dismemberment," which I plan on using and transferring the protection circuit from the "dealer that we dare not name's" product with my handy battery pack welder, and some 1 mil shrink I found. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Gosh, is the familiar marketplace dealer, identified by two capital letters, now also a Dealer-We-Dare-Not-Name?

But are you planning to buy and test the new Red cells now sold by the year-round-Santa-hat-wearing-dealer?

Not that I'm recommending that anybody get them there. Or not.

Oh, by way of full disclosure, I once withdrew some Schillings from an autoteller in Innsbruck.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aircraft800 said:
Are you talking about the "UltraFire BRC 25500 3000mAh 3.7V Li-ion"?
Yes.

Aircraft800 said:
What is a BRC cell?
Wish I knew. But I do note that the last time I saw "BRC" on an Ultrafire cell, member old4570 tested it and found it wanting at high drain levels.

Also, the eagerly-awaited 22600 is a similarly-wrapped "BRC" cell, so I would really like to know what this means.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just an observation that I've made concerning my AW "C" cells. Granted that they're a couple years old now, I've witnessed them dying one by one over the past year or so. I'm still using them lightly in 85's and 11's but this is only about every 3 months or so then they're lightly charged (.3A) on a pro-series Thunder Charger. About 5 months ago I was performing a light charge after about 15 minutes of use in the a mag85 when I noticed that one of the cells wouldn't take a charge. I attempted to nurse it back to life but didn't have any luck.

About 3 months ago I went to use a different mag85 and it was dead. I started checking cells and found that one had dropped to .080V and wouldn't accept any charge obviously.

Last night I pulled the FM11 out of the safe and it was dead as well. This was due to a single dead cell that was reading .0 something volts. This particular batch of cells (I number and date them) has only been partially discharged and recharged about 15-25 cycles. They've been used in 4 different lights and charged on two separate hobby grade chargers.

Given the light discharge and charge cycles, the museum like storage conditions in my home, the original cost, and AW's reputation for quality products, I'm a bit surprised that these would be dropping out this way. It's only a matter of time before I have to discard the entire batch. What do you think is happening to these cells and are others experiencing this phenomenon?

Thanks

Greg G

Enlightened
I had several lights that used these cells and started having the exact same problem. I'd go to use a light and it was dead. Remove and check the batteries, one would be dead, and it could not be brought back. I ended up taking them all out of my lights and giving them away to someone knowledgeable about Li-Ions.

I feel you're pain.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I ended up taking them all out of my lights and giving them away to someone knowledgeable about Li-Ions.

I feel you're pain.

yeah I hear ya

.....and gosh, I'm fairly knowledgeable about this chemistry myself and have a pretty long history with li-ion, it's just that they seem to be going belly up despite my best efforts to care for them. Obviously I mean nothing bad toward AW products in general but the "C" cells just haven't been up to par at all. Something internally is causing them to deteriorate on a time based principal regardless of how ideally they're treated.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just checked mine, all still good. I'll charge and discharge them to see how they are holding up. I think 3-4 years is a decent lifetime for Lithium Cobalt cells, but the deterioration should be gradual.

Maybe these were special "Mission Impossible" models that self-destruct after 200 uses. :green:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Maybe these were special "Mission Impossible" models that self-destruct after 200 uses. :green:

Haha....maybe. :sssh:

Thanks for checking your cells Lux. I'm curious to know how yours are holding up. I suppose it's possible that the 2nd to the final batch that AW had produced might have just been a little "off" but I'm really only speculating. I had purchased 8 from that particular batch before he ran out and then the final lot was offered.

I've now noticed that a 4 cell dropped to 2.9V and I've carefully brought it back over 10 hours to 4.2V. After letting it rest over night it settled in to 4.128V which really surprised me to see it holding that well. It makes me wonder if this is just a simple matter of cell maintenance. Perhaps these are self discharging more quickly than other li-ion cells I'm used to. Still, the lingering question is why don't they all self discharge at a relatively consistence rate if that's the case?

Like you stated, 4 years would be acceptable for this type of cell and although we're not there yet, cell death is inevitable. I suppose I'm just reluctant to let these cells go since the original performance was fantastic.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That cell performance sounds like a very sick cell near death. The only condolences I can offer is that AW is currently offering a recently released upgraded 2900mAh P18650 that probably comes near the performance of the original run of lithium cobalt C cells. That or grab one of the IMR26500 C-ish sized cells.