Bad luck with surefire*RESOLVED*

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
Re: Bad luck with surefire

It's a great EDC. Only other problem is sometimes it comes on in the car and I don't notice till my leg is warm, but a quick twist of the LOTC prevents that.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own a 2007 E1L. Well I'm not too happy with the output,I didn't expect a pocket rocket but I was hoping for a little more. Also it's on the green side and it has rings,but only on white walls. Yesterday I bought a E1B and you guessed it,yellow and more rings,but this time the rings are dark,really distinct on everything,plus there is a small hot litttle spot at one edge of the light.

the single level E1e was designed t run for a looong time on one 123. there is only so much energy in one 123 cell.

as to the emphasized part. did you buy a light to use or shining on white walls? How do they look when used outside?

if you truly are not happy with its white wall performance, give Surefire a call, they've been very accomadating to CPFers in the past on this issue.

thegeek

Enlightened

I bought a KX2 head to use on my E1L not too long ago. When I was screwing it on the threadlock that they use to keep the two halves together broke loose. I just screwed the two pieces together tightly and used it that way, however I noticed it had a couple rings that I was less than impressed with. I started playing with it and by unscrewing the top piece a little bit it turned into a very nice even spot with little in the way of noticeable rings. I guess my point is that maybe your optic is just a touch too far away or too close to the emitter, and all it takes for them to fix it is to adjust that. I don't know what tinkering with it yourself does to your warranty, but that may be an option to consider.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

My L1's beam is pretty bad too, not only full of rings but the rings aren't even circular lol. But I don't really notice it during actual use so I don't mind.

+1 :thumbsup:

houtex

Enlightened

the single level E1e was designed t run for a looong time on one 123. there is only so much energy in one 123 cell.

as to the emphasized part. did you buy a light to use or shining on white walls? How do they look when used outside?

if you truly are not happy with its white wall performance, give Surefire a call, they've been very accomadating to CPFers in the past on this issue.
I bought the light to to show and shine on everything,including white walls. Maybe I did't know exactly what I was getting. I don't have another E1L to compare to. As far as the E1B is concerned, I bought it as a backup for work. I work and live at night. Does the light still function? absolutely. The dark rings and that weird hot spot thing is annoying though. Noticeable on everything, my lawn,the side of my brick house,in my garage and yes esp white walls.
I should of began this thread more along the lines of what should I do if I am not happy with a SF product. Can I get a repair or replacement if such and such is the problem. I was looking to see if someone had the same type problem and what their experience was with SF.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought the light to to show and shine on everything,including white walls. Maybe I did't know exactly what I was getting. I don't have another E1L to compare to. As far as the E1B is concerned, I bought it as a backup for work. I work and live at night. Does the light still function? absolutely. The dark rings and that weird hot spot thing is annoying though. Noticeable on everything, my lawn,the side of my brick house,in my garage and yes esp white walls.
I should of began this thread more along the lines of what should I do if I am not happy with a SF product. Can I get a repair or replacement if such and such is the problem. I was looking to see if someone had the same type problem and what their experience was with SF.

the "hotspot" thing is pretty common among Cree lights, I remember there was an uproar when the first Cree light, the P1D CE was put into market (you weren't around then) in late 06.

the edge of the beam issue is a product of the optics. The optics are much less tolerant of the slightest differences in how the emitter is mounted. the mark on the outer beam seem to be on the out most edge. I'm sure SF will be happy to replace it for you if you consider that significant enough of an issue.

I have six optic-equipped SF heads, 1 KL1, a KL3 two KX1s, an L1, an E2DL, and I have another E2DL coming. Their beams are very good, and any irregularity that I could see is of no concern in real world use. The imperfect beam is small trade off when considering the benefit of the optic lenses.

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened

Definitely give them a call. Surefire's warranty and their customer service is second to none!

Force Attuned

Enlightened

With my E1L I only have a very slight dark ring around the hotspot. It doesn't bother me as I only notice it against a dark wall. In general I love the E1L...the bright setting is great, the low setting is perfect for me and the runtimes are fantastic. The E1L and E1B are my new fave lights.

dougie

Enlightened

I would agree with MikeSalt about not wanting to use a flashlight that was not water resistant. In SureFires' defence I'm not sure if it is entirely unreasonable not to expect a glass bezel lens to be undamaged by a drop onto a hard surface? One of the benefits of using glass is the ablity of the material to allow more light through the lens and to resist scratching. The obvious disadvantage is the potential to become damaged if subjected to various types of shock.

I personally don't think of the smaller range of SureFire lights as indestructable. I believe them to be very reliable and from good to excellent lighting instruments that will survive a considerable amount of wear and tear and exhibit a much longer period of longevity than most of the competitors. The question here is what is a reaonable amount of damage that you can reasonably expect it to survive? I don't think that any glass lens light can be thought of as immune from a drop onto a hard surface. If it does survive such a drop then it is a bonus and if it doesn't then to my mind it is just bad luck?

If I wanted extremes of durability then I'd specifically avoid any light with a glass lens? As it is I use my smaller SureFires' with a rubber filter (minus the filter lens) as a shock absorber specifically to avoid Mike's problem.

Doug

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

dougie, I see your point, glass does break. However, I can name several less expensive models that have taken an absolute smack to the side of the bezel, and the AR glass has remained intact.

On inspection of the light, I gripped the edge of the bezel between my fingers and gave it a squeeze. To my dismay, I could hear the cracked glass flexing under the action of me squeezing the bezel. To me, it seems like the material surrounding the glass is too flexible, allowing any impact to transfer straight to the glass.

For the record, I got bored one night while in Florida and took my older Fenix P1D-CE outside to the pool to play a little night-time game of catch. Now of course, three lads, being slightly drunk, are not the best at throwing. The poor little thing ended up smacking the tiles as many times as it ended up in the water. The glass was fine however, wasn't even worried about it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

MikeSalt, did you send your light back? The OP is asking what people do when they have problems with their SF lights. You talked about your problems in another thread. Did you get resolution with SF? OP would be interested in knowing, I think.

Bill

dougie

Enlightened

Mike

Please don't think I'm unsympathetic to your post. It is a real shame that your light hasn't lived up to your expectations. However, I think before you make a final decision on the suitability of the smaller SureFire lights you should wait until the parts are replaced and then see if the new components provide you with a better experience?

Unfortunately, in common with lots of other US products sold in the UK getting replacement parts under warranty can be a lengthy and frustrating experience! However, SureFire have always come through for me and I'm sure that if you persist with their customer service reps it'll be sorted in the end.

As to the Fenix surviving so well it may be because it is well made or it could be luck? Either way I don't think I'll emulate any of your 'tests' with any of my lights!:)

Doug

cat

Enlightened

I've yet to hear of a Fenix P1D, P2D, P3D having crappy beams like that. And customer service? - fenix-stores customer service is as good as it gets.
Sorry, as much as I'd like an L1 and a U2, I'm not taking a chance with having to send it back, international shipping. I'll wait till I can make a plan with milkyspit.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

As others said, a telephone call works ... don't bother with email, as that does not work. Their customer service dept is excellent, and they will take care of your complaints.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened

I've yet to hear of a Fenix P1D, P2D, P3D having crappy beams like that. And customer service? - fenix-stores customer service is as good as it gets.
Sorry, as much as I'd like an L1 and a U2, I'm not taking a chance with having to send it back, international shipping. I'll wait till I can make a plan with milkyspit.
Cat,
Your post adds nothing to this thread and could be considered trolling. Nobody has mentioned anything about fenix, let's not start another vs. thread here.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everyone's posts here have been just fine. I'm not posting to say otherwise. However, please let's take a little care not to let this become a SF vs. Fenix type thread. The OP was asking about some specific issues with his SF lights, so that should be the main focus.

And in regards to that: I too would say call SF CS and see what they can do for you.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry js, perhaps my fault on the F-word? As an example, it was the only less-expensive light with a glass window that has been subject to such torture.

As you can tell, I am still pretty bummed about both tailcap and window being damaged by a single drop. Just the waiting game now for the parts.

houtex

Enlightened
I took the light to work with me this weekend,thought I give it a try in the field. A valet form the club next door was fascinated by it, I offered it for sale,now it's his. I'll by another,later. There is another gun show this weekend. I'll look for one there.

Latest posts