bathtub caulking/enable repair question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll throw this out here first to see if I get responses before looking for home repair forums.

I am removing some very old and zealously overapplied applied caulking between the bathtub top and the tiled wall. Unfortunately in the process of removing the caulk I have removed some enamel from the tub as well. Can this be repair and if so how and should it be repaired before or after recaulking.

Thanks for any input.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
In our area, there's a business called Surface Doctor and I'm pretty sure it's a chain. Anyways, they do enamel repairs. However, if your new bead of caulk will cover it, don't worry about it. If it won't then it depends on the tub's material. Is it cast, steel or acrylic?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's cast. Man that old Phenoseal is tough. Basically wherever it was removed, it took the tub and tile enable with it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually yes, the caulking covered up most of it (I'm a terrible caulker and use too much is better then not enough approach so what I need is something white whether it be enamel repair or waterproof porcelain paint if such a thing exists.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are repair kits out there for just such things. I used to work in a hardware store, after high school many years back. A good well stocked hardware (and sometimes Lowes, Home depot and other mega stores are not your best option for something old school) should either have it in stock or be able to order it for you.

Remember to wet your finger to run along the caulk bead to smooth it out, it sticks less and makes a nicer looking edge.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
Remember to wet your finger to run along the caulk bead to smooth it out, it sticks less and makes a nicer looking edge.

+1

Keep wetting your finger, too. This also keeps the bead smooth.