Batteries for Quark Mini

shane73

Newly Enlightened
I have a few questions about a Quark Mini 123 R5 I just ordered. It is about the batteries for it. I think it will come with a 4sevens battery which I will use until it goes dead. Then I would like to get a couple more primaries just to have as back-ups. I have read reviews and looked at runtimes done by people like selfbuilt. I think he compared like 4-6 batteries in his tests. Is this the top ones? Are there anything new out since he done his tests? Has there anything changed on the light I am getting that would make one work better than another? I wanted to ask for advice from someone who has had experience with more than one brand. Since I don't have any, and all I can find out is capacity printed on them and price - all other would be a guess other than seeing a lot of old charts that I don't know how would compare to this particular light.

Next I would like to know what's the best rechargeable to run in it. I know it says 3.0 volt but the Quark Mini 123 and the iTp A1 are suppose to be very close to the same thing and they support rechargeables. I read somewhere that 4sevens said the Quark will take the voltage and current but it's just the heat dissipating part that keeps them from supporting rechargeables. Then I saw this on Light Reviews….

"Tests produced a maximum output of 176 lumens on a CR123 cell which is slightly lower than the advertised 189 lumens. Although not specifically stated, the MiNi CR123 also unofficially supports the use of 3.7V 16340 li-ion cells. You can use a 16340 cell for low and medium levels without worry, however high should only be used continuously for less than 1 minute at a time although you do get a nice boost in output measured at 255 lumens. This is because the small body of the light is unable to effectively dissipate the heat at this high level. Prolonged activation of high output on a 16340 cell will lead to accelerated degradation of the LED over time."

I also read something about if the newest ones LED is low Vf then MORE current will hit the LED. This may change things. I know it works very well on primaries but I really would like to get the most out of this little light. I also think it would cost a lot less to just recharge a battery than to throw it out and buy a new one each time. I have read so many things about rechargeable and the more I read the more questions I get. I have read that the ones with protection are longer and not good for the twist heads. I have read that the ones without protection could blow up. Not good in the front pocket and it accidentally turn on. Also not good clipped to a hat right in front of your eyes. Then I read about the IMR cells but they do not have much capacity. Then I read about some type cells that charge to 3.0, some 3.6, and some to 4.2 volts. I have read threads like the 123 shootout but threads I find with a lot of good information like that are over 5 years old. I am sure batteries have changed some since then. I also would think several new ones are out now too.

I don't plan on using it on high over a minute at a time. If I do plan on going somewhere that I need high for long periods of time then I can always pop in a primary. I will be using medium and low most of the time. This will put out enough light for most anything I need but, if I need super bright for a few seconds, then it's always there. I was also wondering… if I use it a few seconds here and there on low and medium, wouldn't after a little while the battery be ran down to 3.0 volts or less?

I also read stuff about regulated, direct drive, and high frequency PWM. I am still reading up on this and trying to figure out exactly what all this does but I have somewhat an idea. Will any of this affect a certain type rechargeable? I read that certain rechargables don't need to be run down below a certain volt. I run across this while reading…. "Got home measured the cells with a voltmeter. One of them is fine at 3.86volts the other was 0.71volts. Lovely, so if I was a noobie didnt use a voltmeter before charging the cells - I would be seeing fireworks in my home" Does this mean you can't charge them if they drop below a certain voltage?? This is a big question I have and still not found an answer to.

Say im running the light… does it just go dead when the battery is empty or low or does it shut off at a certain volt? Does it just get dimmer and dimmer, does it blink when I got 15 minutes left, or does it just cut off and leave me in the dark. If I run it too low, can I not charge the battery without damaging it? I would hate to have to carry my volt meter with me all day.

I am new to all of these cree lights. I have some small LED lights, lights that came with my tool sets, and the small bulb type Mag light on my keychain I have been using for years. Until I found this place a month ago I didn't know what a Cree was. I have picked up an iTp A3 and the Stanley HID spotlight since I joined here but this is going to be my first real EDC light so I want it to be the best that it can possibly be.

These are some ideas I had on primaries:

4Sevens, Titanium Innovations, Surefire, Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic, Streamlight. I want PTC cells correct??

If I am hard headed and going to run a rechargable Lithum battery in this light, which one would be the best and last the longest? These are some ideas I had on rechargables:

AW

Some type of IMR

I read this somewhere too..

AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123

Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V

Is this one I have to carry my volt meter with me to make sure I don't go below 2.50v or I take a risk of damaging it?

I looked through https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133440 and several other places to try and find answers to a lot of my questions but most of the stuff here are multiple years old or I don't fully understand it.

Also while im on rechargables, maybe in the near future I may get a few batteries for my little iTp A3. What would be the best rechargables for it. I have done some research and came up with these...

AccuEvolution LSD 800 mah

AccuPower 1200 mah

Ansmann MaxE LSD 800 mah

Ansmann 1100 mah

Sanyo Eneloop LSD 800 mah

Sanyo 1000 mah

Yuasa 1000 mah

Yuasa Enitime LSD 800 mah

GP Recyko+ LSD 850 mah

I was also looking at some rechargable alkaline batteries maybe for it since they are pretty cheep, last 7 years, and have 50 deep-discharge cycles to 500 shallow-discharge cycles. A couple I found are:

EnviroCell

Pure Energy RAM 800 mah

I also saw this one:

OWL RAM batteries work like a high power alkaline battery giving a full 1.5 volts and working straight from the pack but without the environmental impact. Each rechargeable RAM battery replaces 100 single use batteries, has a 2000mAh capacity, contains no toxic metals, has a 7 year shelf life and can be recharged up to 500 times. Fully accredited by the Canadian Government. These have got to be the best rechargeable AAA batteries going. • Owl Rechargeable Batteries are guaranteed for five years.

Is that 2000mAh correct?? I thought it might have been a misprint.

cistallus

Enlightened
Rest of the original thread as recovered from cache

Re: Batteries for Quark Mini
Written by cistallus on 11-23-2010 12:48 AM GMT

First, take a deep breath. :)

Any of the brands you mention should be fine for your primary CR123 disposable batteries.

For rechargeable, just get AW protected RCR123 (16340). And a charger - the WF-139 isn't perfect but is popular.

I use an AW RCR123 in my Mini 123, it's great for short bright bursts; for longer runtimes I can either tightly hold it in my hand to act as a heat sink, or swap in a CR123.

Just treat the cells nicely - don't discharge too much (light gets dim), don't overcharge (remove when charger says done).

You don't have to carry a voltmeter with you. A meter is handy for getting a feel for the voltage the cell is at after various runtimes. You mentioned 3.0V - the usable range for a LiCo cell (like those AW) is about 4.2V (100% charge) down to about 3.5V (near 0% charge). When I purposely ran down my RCR123 in the Mini on high (heat-sinked in my hands, lasted about 1/2hr total), it ended up at 3.1V (at the end the light flickered for about 20 seconds then shut off) which is a bit low, but I quickly recharged the cell and it was OK.

Get AW 10440 for the ITP A3 (the WF-139 would charge these a bit too fast, you'd need a different charger like WF-138). Don't even consider the rechargeable alkalines.

I have no idea on those OWL batteries, they give no information. If they are alkaline, see above. If they are NiMh, they are probably quoting the AA size capacity not AAA - at any rate get Eneloops instead. Eneloop AAA will work in your ITP A3 but of course not be as bright as a 10440.