Battery Corrosion Cleanup?

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Fenix LD20 as a stand-by for occasional use in our living room. Normally I have Eveready Ultimate Li-Ion , or Eneloops in my AA and AAA lights, but these were alkaline.

I just discovered one of the AA batteries leaked acid through it sidewall. I've removed both batteries and unscrewed the tailcap and head. (the acid didn't reach them)
I'm figuring to neutralize the acid in the tube with distilled water and baking soda unless a better combination, or product can be had?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
That's a good little light. I had one for a long time. I like to use NiMH cells in them.

That will probably clean it. If you have a gun cleaning kit, you may use a round wire brush attachment on the end of a cleaning rod to scrub everything out of the pits that the corrosion may have made.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought alkaline cell leaks were....alkaline, not acidic. So I would try a little vinegar if you want to neutralize it, but I always start with plain tap water and scrub with a toothbrush, which seems to be sufficient. If there is any corrosion, you can run a little tube of fine sandpaper into the tube. Plenty of water, a little detergent and thorough rinse with water is good for me.

If you were able to remove the batteries it sounds like a minor leak with minimal damage, so you are fortunate.

BTW, Energizer Ultimate Lithiums aren't Li-Ion like rechargeables, but Lithium/Iron Disulfide (Li/FeS2), as per their datasheet.

Attachments

• Energizer Ultimate Lithium l91 datasheet2023Sept.pdf
    344.2 KB · Views: 81

LED User

Newly Enlightened
Great! Thanks guys, I appreciate each of your help!
Excellent point about alkaline, I hadn't thought of that.
As well as the use of gun cleaning tools which I have but hadn't thought of.
Thanks again.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
@LED User, it looks like you were correct all along. I just ran onto this on the FAQ section of the Fenix Store website:

"Batteries leaked or corroded in my Fenix flashlight. What should I do?
The first thing to do will be of course to remove the corroded batteries. Then wipe out all areas exposed to corrosion with a clean cloth or paper towel. Next make a thick solution of baking soda and water. Using an old toothbrush or some other kind of soft-bristled brush scrub any spots of corrosion that are found on any non-electrical components like the inside of the body tube, the outside of the head, or the shell of the tail cap (not the tail switch!). This will neutralize any residual acidity and prevent the corrosion from coming back. If any electrical components have been compromised by the corrosion there is not anything that can be done to help them. Next rinse off anything you scrubbed with clean water, making sure to avoid getting water on any of the internal electronics, especially in the head. Let the pieces dry completely."

There ya have it, now we know.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, that could be it.
I'll check my EO1 v2 since it has the Fenix supplied battery in it.

Edit:
IMG_0577.jpeg

Fenix supplied this ALKALINE battery with the E01v2

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
What if the batteries are still stuck inside and mostly been there for quite awhile? Would distilled white vinegar be able to creep down in between the batteries enough to loosen them up?

Someone else mentioned Kroil but I figured I would try what I had on hand first.

IMG_4163.jpeg

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like to soak lights for extended times as it can damage other parts of the light. As an example, I had a battery corroded in a Fenix L0D and left it in a tub of water overnight - the residual alkali made a solution strong enough to eat away half of the anodizing.

Even if you did soak it, I feel there is usually enough corrosion that the battery gets throughly welded to the tube - it's not just dried electrolyte.

Yours looks to me like your best hope is to drill most of the battery out and rip the shell away with needlenose pliers. Then a thorough washing and restoration of the tube with the equivalent of a cylinder bore hone (like some sand paper wrapped around a bore brush).

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost a Led Lenser V2 (I think) to corrosion and ended up buying a new one recently. I could have warrantied it and LLUSA was willing to do so even though it is a Coast light but it was nostalgia so I keep it.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if the batteries are still stuck inside and mostly been there for quite awhile? Would distilled white vinegar be able to creep down in between the batteries enough to loosen them up?

Someone else mentioned Kroil but I figured I would try what I had on hand first.

View attachment 48612
This is a personal call. How precious is the light to you vs the value of your time. If the light has no special value (unique or rare, sentimental value, etc.) then if you know the brand of battery, you can make a claim against the battery manufacturer and let them compensate you for the light, then buy a replacement. If you don't know the battery manufacturer, but it is a common light readily available at cheap prices, e.g. an incan Mini-Mag, then you may decide that trying to save it isn't worth your time.

If you have more time than money, and want to salvage it, then look to treating it a couple of times with white vinegar, and then driving the cell out with a hammer and some kind of punch. If that doesn't work, then resort to drilling it out and then peeling the casing out with needle nose pliers. Once that is accomplished, try white vinegar again, then rinse with water. If the surface is too rough, then try some sandpaper until smooth.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

busseguy

Enlightened
This is a personal call. How precious is the light to you vs the value of your time. If the light has no special value (unique or rare, sentimental value, etc.) then if you know the brand of battery, you can make a claim against the battery manufacturer and let them compensate you for the light, then buy a replacement. If you don't know the battery manufacturer, but it is a common light readily available at cheap prices, e.g. an incan Mini-Mag, then you may decide that trying to save it isn't worth your time.

If you have more time than money, and want to salvage it, then look to treating it a couple of times with white vinegar, and then driving the cell out with a hammer and some kind of punch. If that doesn't work, then resort to drilling it out and then peeling the casing out with needle nose pliers. Once that is accomplished, try white vinegar again, then rinse with water. If the surface is too rough, then try some sandpaper until smooth.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

I'll give that a try.

Thank you!