Battery leaked in quark aa2

daizi

Newly Enlightened
I was using rayovac alkaline batteries with my quark aa2 and it leaked inside the flashlight and now it wont turn on most of the time. You have to play around with it to turn on but when it does, the light flickers. Also when the light is on and you try to change to the different modes, the light will just shut off or die. The battery leak at the tail cap part and so none of the acid touch the emitter head so I'm thinking maybe the acid mess up the tail cap?:shrug:

So what I'm asking is, does the warranty from 4sevens cover battery leak damage or will i have to resolve it with rayovac?

It is unreasonable to assume that any flashlight manufacturer will cover damage as a result of a defective battery. That would be like asking Ford, GM, Chrysler (etc.) to cover any damage done to the vehicle by using crap gasoline.

As a new member, you may not be aware of the horrible, horrible reputation that alkaline batteries have. But they are cheap, and widely available to the uninformed, so they continue to sell by the boatload.

Your best course of action is to contact Rayovac, and take some pictures of the battery and the damage done.

Then, the next thing you want to do is head over to the battery sub-forum and spend half a day reading about why alkalines are bad juju, and become intimately familiar with Eneloops. :)

Sorry that happened.
But it's no surprise.
That's why we call them "alkaleaks" around here.

The general rule is "don't put alkalines in any flashlight that you care about keeping".

Not to keep rubbing salt in the wound, but there are two types of alkaline battery users...

those that have had leaks, and those that will.

Most people (unfortunately) have to go through a leak before they become "enlightened".

+1 to what shane said. Many have learned the hard way that using cheap alkaline batteries in an expensive flashlight is risky business. They are bound to leak eventually. Best to stick with a good rechargable NiMH like Sanyo Eneloops, or use something like the Energize lithium AA's, but they are expensive. I keep Energizer lithium's in my Fenix TK20 which is a 2xAA light. I keep this in my vehicle so the lithiums ensure it will be ready to fire up even in the dead of winter. My vehicle light doesn't see a lot of use so it's the expense of the lithium batteries isn't an issue. If you use the light on a regular basis the rechargable Eneloops would be much more economical. Hopefully Rayovac will offer to send you a check so you can replace your damaged flashlight.

Also many people buy AA flashlights with the thought they want to be able to use readily available AA batteries, especially in an emergency. The good thing is you can use alkaline batteries in an emergency if they are your only option, but when there isn't an emergency use better quality batteries. :) Also don't store alkaline batteries in your flashlights, they normally leak when the light is sitting around not being used. If you pop them in to use the flashlight, then take them out when you're done, you're probably pretty safe.

Battery leakage is not covered under the 4sevens warranty. However, most of the major battery manufacturers do offer a warranty for battery leakage.

Test it with a paper clip to see if the tail cap is the problem, if so, buy a new tail cap.
And go buy some Eneloop.

I would contact Rayovac either via internet or their 800 number and see what they will do.
I bought a used rayovac flourescent lantern and it was draining batteries even when turned off and
I had to pay to have it shipped to them but they sent me a brand new one for free.

I'm assuming you removed the batteries that leaked and are using some fresh cells... As said above, don't use alkalines (use NiMH or lithium) and I would take the tailcap apart and clean it with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. All you need is a small pair of needle-nose pliers to take out the retaining ring.

Thanks everyone, i try what glockboy say and it works without any flickering.
Test it with a paper clip to see if the tail cap is the problem, if so, buy a new tail cap.
And go buy some Eneloop.
So now a new cap is no it's way. I always use Duracell rechargeable batteries but that night i was on a night fishing trip and went through all of them and had to use the rayovac, which turn out to be a big mistake.

Then, the next thing you want to do is head over to the battery sub-forum and spend half a day reading about why alkalines are bad juju, and become intimately familiar with Eneloops. :)

Eneloops ROCKS!
eneloop20091212003.jpg

here's the relevant text from Rayovac's customer service page:

"Device Guarantee
We will replace, repair, or refund, at our option, any device damaged by our battery if the device and batteries are returned to us, prepaid, to the address below. Be sure to remove the batteries from the device, but include the batteries in the same shipment as the device. Our guarantee does not cover devices that are damaged by batteries that are beyond their expiration date."

here's the link with the address: http://www.rayovac.com/Consumer-Services/Warranty.aspx

you might want to call them and ask them what documentation they need to clearly identify your light. i think i've read about Rayovac sometimes not giving folks the full value of their lights. but i'm pretty sure if you argue with them, they'll give in. i've never tried getting a nice flashlight replaced, but my personal experience with getting Rayovac products replaced has been great.

also, i'll echo everyone else's sentiments that you really shouldn't be using alkalines in your high drain flashlights. eneloops and a smart charger really aren't that expensive either and are totally worth it. if you look around, you should be able to find a 4 pack of eneloops with a smart charger for about $15.

great news....since I order a new tail cap and it's on it way, i decided to take apart my mess up tail cap like beerwax and tyjo said. I wish I've done this before i order a new tail cap.
the easyest quickest and sureest solution is get a new tailcap from 4sevens. ethically you have some responsibilty you r the one who left the batteries in there. we are not talking a million dollars. if thats the way you decide to go then you can focus your full attention on dissassembly and cleaning of the original cap. you might find it comes good easy, just a wee bit of gunk somewhere. and you might have fun.

cheers.

edit - you would want to be sure it was the tailcap.

I'm assuming you removed the batteries that leaked and are using some fresh cells... As said above, don't use alkalines (use NiMH or lithium) and I would take the tailcap apart and clean it with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. All you need is a small pair of needle-nose pliers to take out the retaining ring.

After taking it apart there were residue from the battery inside the cap and so i cleaned it up but it still wasn't working.I then deiced to desolder the clicky button and take it apart to find the four contact point inside it cover with black residue.

I didn't have any baking soda so i use a steel wool and flat screwdriver to get all the residue off. After it's all clean i reassemble it together and solder it back on to the circuit board. Reassemble everything and now the light is working as brand new now.

Hope this will help anyone who might be in the same situation as i was so they won't buy a new tail cap.

great news....since I order a new tail cap and it's on it way, i decided to take apart my mess up tail cap like beerwax and tyjo said. I wish I've done this before i order a new tail cap.

After taking it apart there were residue from the battery inside the cap and so i cleaned it up but it still wasn't working.I then deiced to desolder the clicky button and take it apart to find the four contact point inside it cover with black residue.

I didn't have any baking soda so i use a steel wool and flat screwdriver to get all the residue off. After it's all clean i reassemble it together and solder it back on to the circuit board. Reassemble everything and now the light is working as brand new now.

Hope this will help anyone who might be in the same situation as i was so they won't buy a new tail cap.
Nice fix. Now you can use the new tailcap, since the old one might not be as reliable, and you got the old one as a spare.