Battery recycling -- Ultrafire prevention!

B42

Newly Enlightened
Before I knew anything about Li ions I made several purchases of "Ultrafire 3000"s and "5000mAh" Chinese batteries on Amazon, and I was able to return most of them. In a couple cases, I was able to get a refund and they didnt require the batteries returned. Now the "5000mAh" Chinese batteries are running more like approximately 700mAh and not really useful, and some of the "3000 mAh Ultrafire" are irregular and they were probably recycled junk to start with and now possibly dangerous. How do I recycle these cells and ensure that they dont return back to the market as re-wrapped "Ultrafire 3000mAh" batteries??? Is there a safe way to destroy the cell so they dont just repackage and sell to someone else before recycling? Its kinda crazy but the whole episode of finding out how much they outright lie and cheat makes me want to ensure they cant just pick them up and do it again, at least with what I'm discarding :ohgeez:

sassaquin

Enlightened
Check with your city or town to see if they have a lithium battery recycling program. My town does and it is free of charge.
I think it is highly unlikely any bad lithium battery put into a recycling program in this country will be repackaged and sold.

Last edited:

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
Are you in the USA? Best Buy has a battery recycling program. Tape the + and - ends and drop them off there. That's what I do with all our rechargeable batteries.

Or go over to www.call2recycle.org and see if there is another place that accepts them. I think they will even send you a mailer if there is nothing nearby.

B42

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for responding all. Yes I'm in the USA. But I was asking more if there was a way to safely partially destroy the batteries (render unusable) so they arent re-packaged and sold again after recycling them. From the battery contents of "Ultrafires" and reports of other people and the way they respond (degrading quickly with few recharges), and the fact that the do get sent to China to be "recycled", I think its highly likely some get repackaged and sold again.