Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

I think if you use Cr123's and you have something that will vampire them, why not? Alkalines are another story because they leak, especially when you vampire them - not worth it unless it is an emergency.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

[...] the savings of the effort of the battery vampire... next to nothing and essentially unable to pay for the light/device used to do so one may be better suited to toss the depleted cells and invest in another 18350 or 18650 battery and/or light.
LA, I agreed with virtually everything in your post but only wanted to briefly dwell on what I've quoted above; it's not purchasing a battery vampire flashlight per se, but identifying which light in a current inventory is good for BV 'backup' status.

Some of my all-time favorite lights are my SureFire L1's; knowing that particular model is a good BV means that it has another fuel option in an emergency, i.e. depleted CR123's from my headlamp, buck-driver Malkoff dropins such as the M61/91's, or other lights. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Now I'm curious; thinking that I could perhaps do a full run of my Malkoff M61 on two fresh CR123's; then see what sort of light my (boost-circuit) SF L1 could produce from those cells.
Any other L1 fans out there, chime in to let me know if that info would be worth it; frankly I think the M61 would drain those two cells down pretty low to begin with, as its voltage cutout is most likely pretty low to begin with ...

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I didn't think anyone used CR123 cells any longer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

michaex

Enlightened

Not cold enough in NJ? :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I didn't think anyone used CR123 cells any longer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

God. I have 50 in stock at any given time. And that's way down from what I used to hold.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

LA, I agreed with virtually everything in your post but only wanted to briefly dwell on what I've quoted above; it's not purchasing a battery vampire flashlight per se, but identifying which light in a current inventory is good for BV 'backup' status.

Some of my all-time favorite lights are my SureFire L1's; knowing that particular model is a good BV means that it has another fuel option in an emergency, i.e. depleted CR123's from my headlamp, buck-driver Malkoff dropins such as the M61/91's, or other lights. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Now I'm curious; thinking that I could perhaps do a full run of my Malkoff M61 on two fresh CR123's; then see what sort of light my (boost-circuit) SF L1 could produce from those cells.
Any other L1 fans out there, chime in to let me know if that info would be worth it; frankly I think the M61 would drain those two cells down pretty low to begin with, as its voltage cutout is most likely pretty low to begin with ...
I wonder what various 18650 lights would do on very low modes that can use a pair of CR123s.... could be the ultimate cure for excess batteries best of both worlds IMO.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I remember back in the day where someone proposed using a pair of depleted CR123's and a Malkoff M30 for 'vampire duty'.

Not a bad idea in theory :)duh2:), as that low-voltage boost module would suck every drop of life out of a pair of cells, and /hopefully/ not :poof: if the cells were already drained enough to begin with ...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

I'd like to think the Fraz Labs QTC lights belong here. No electronic overhead, just qtc, a cell, and an emitter. I have a Tiny Nugget designed for 18350 use, but it makes a good amount of light on a primary 123 cell. Next one my HDS decides is run down, I'll try in the Nugget.

Thermal Guy- That cell count hit close to home. :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Henry's older stuff "U42,U60" were fantastic battery drainers. Would go down to much lower voltage then the new ones will.

Scout: I got 24 hours off of a primary 123 battery in my tiny tank. Battery ended at at 2.59 volts. It was still plenty bright at 24 hours and thinking it would of gone much longer but wanted my new toy back😁

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to think the Fraz Labs QTC lights belong here. No electronic overhead, just qtc, a cell, and an emitter. I have a Tiny Nugget designed for 18350 use, but it makes a good amount of light on a primary 123 cell. Next one my HDS decides is run down, I'll try in the Nugget.

Thermal Guy- That cell count hit close to home. :)

Wait. I missed that and should have tried it myself. I had no clue I could run my nugget on 123

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Yup. Runs at reduced output but for a long time.

Ran for 24 hours before I shut it down. And that was starting on high . I'd imagine with a fresh cell and dumbed down to a lower output she'd go for a long long time.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Thanks for the info TG. I'll have to give it a try, I should have a depleted 123 here this week. :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

If you have a P60 converted to a Yuji that dude can vampire a 123 a good long time. Hopefully nobody said that already.
I have an R30 converted in a fivemega 3P body for just that.

Latest posts