Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Another vote for the X5, in either flavor. I've run 123's that wouldn't light my E2d in our X5 white for weeks and weeks of evening half-hour walks. Talk about a slow vampire.

For AA's, I've been using my L2d-ce recently, but they also seem to keep going and going...I have had ONE set start leaking though, and actually was sitting at my computer, and noticed the tailcap rubber starting to balloon out over the course of a few minutes. It had a pair of alkalines that were quite old in it though...pre-emptively replaced the batts in our CO detector in the house, they were over 3 years old, and it was starting to chirp. Those bears lit the L2D though....even when they started leaking.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

added a cpf built, home modified, etc section..:D

Crenshaw

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

123A: Inova 24/7

I put some "dead" 123As that were no longer able to light up my Surefire M4, into my two Inova 24/7s ... the 24/7s are running as if on new batteries, they are perfectly happy. Unless the problem wasn't the batteries but something wrong with my M4 or M4's bulb (I've not reloaded it to see), the 24/7s run on depleted batteries just fine.

LouRoy

Enlightened

The Tekna Splash-Lite LED is a great battery drainer for a single CR123 cell.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The milky candle will take the batteries which you think are dead and run on them for a week. I have too many dead Cr123 a to even feed this. I could keep in on 24/7/365 easily all on dead battereis. I think it will work on 1.5 volt cells too.
Anyway if you are talking about completly draining a 123 cell then this is the ultimate device to do it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/76293
Yaesumofo

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I use one of my hds lights to kill my old cells. Just put it on one of the lowest setting witch is what i use any ways and its all good.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

1xCR123A: Peak McKinley. In a recent informal runtime test, my McKinley 1 LED model was still going strong at 7 hrs. 45 min. on an RCR123A when I ended the test. Seemed to maintain fairly flat output as well. I imagine on 1 primary CR123A, its times would be impressive, but I'm too cheap to sacrifice a cell to find out. ;) Provides a decent amount of light on a well-spent primary. Beam, however, is much prettier on the 7 LED McKinley, mentioned below.

My 7 LED (old style) HP model is another runtime champ. In the same test, its RCR123A's protection circuit kicked in at 7 hrs. 45 min., and it maintained good regulation up to that point. Just tried a well-spent primary cell in it, and it put out a nice dim circle of light, similar to the Matterhorn on a spent alkie, referenced below.

1xAAA: Peak Matterhorn. On a semi-spent alkie, puts out a smooth even large spot, fairly dim and perfect for reading in bed. Mine is a 3 LED (old style) HP, so I'm sure a 1 LED model would be even better.

2xAA: Gerber Trio. Once described as a (CMG Infinity) "Ultra on steroids", this nicely built light puts out a very wide, even flood beam, with a bluish tint. It's decently bright for ~ 6 hrs. on 2 AA eneloops, then dims and maintains a very long tail. On well used alkies, it still puts out useable light, and I imagine for a very long time.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

For AA's, I've been using my L2d-ce recently, but they also seem to keep going and going...I have had ONE set start leaking though, and actually was sitting at my computer, and noticed the tailcap rubber starting to balloon out over the course of a few minutes. It had a pair of alkalines that were quite old in it though...pre-emptively replaced the batts in our CO detector in the house, they were over 3 years old, and it was starting to chirp. Those bears lit the L2D though....even when they started leaking.

I'm a bit surprised about the L2D being a "Vampire", since the L1D can be hard to light up with depleted cells. But when I come to think about it, I don't think I ever had that problem with the L2D. Anyone know why it's so, that 2 cells together can be depleted more than 1 single cell?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a bit surprised about the L2D being a "Vampire", since the L1D can be hard to light up with depleted cells. But when I come to think about it, I don't think I ever had that problem with the L2D. Anyone know why it's so, that 2 cells together can be depleted more than 1 single cell?
Might be that 2 batteries in series will provide more Voltage then a single battery at any charge level. like, if a single is giving 0.9 instead of 1.5, two batteries would still give 1.8? maybe...but is the L2D series?
Crenshaw

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery Vampires

I thought, unlike the multi-cell lights that use circuits to draw high current, that the Inova X5 was safe with two cells because it just uses a resistor and doesn't draw more than what the battery want to push out. :thinking: is that wrong? :confused:

This situation is muddied by the fact that the INOVA X5 red is often recommended as a great light to draw the last out of a 123 cell. While this is true, it is very important to remember that the INOVA X5 with a red LED only uses one cr123 cell.

The INOVA X5 Red is not a 2xcr123 light.

I was referring to a two cell X5, so your comment confuses me. :crazy:

Is it safe to use two worn down cells in a resistor based LED light or an incandescent? Now what if those cells weren't perfectly matched?

Does the SureFire M6 have any type of circuit in it or is it a straight incandescent?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Might be that 2 batteries in series will provide more Voltage then a single battery at any charge level. like, if a single is giving 0.9 instead of 1.5, two batteries would still give 1.8? maybe...but is the L2D series?
Crenshaw

I think you've got it right. I've also used my L2D as a drainer. Since it's the same head as the L1D it will work with one battery, too. A couple AA's that won't fire it in one cell setup will work fine in two cell mode.

Geoff

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery Vampires

I was referring to a two cell X5, so your comment confuses me. :crazy:

Is it safe to use two worn down cells in a resistor based LED light or an incandescent? Now what if those cells weren't perfectly matched?...
I don't think it's safe in a two cell light, from what I've read.

dulridge

Enlightened

Here's what we should all do - use nothing but 6D Mags.

This way, when the battery drops to 1.25V, switch to a 5cell bulb. When the battery goes down to 1V, switch to a 4cell bulb. 3cell bulb @ 0.75V, 2cell bulbs @ 0.5V, and finally, solitair bulb at 0.25V.

Who says you can't have perfect regulation on a stock Incan Mag? :D

:crackup:Bit big for EDC though. Love the idea.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

somthing interesting just happened, My E0 lit up on a battery that my arc wouldnt run on....:eek:oo: im happy i ordered another E0 now..

Crenshaw

pbs357

Enlightened

Are there any other multi-led (5mm etc) lights that run on 1xcr123 with white LEDs?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

sorry, this fell out of circulation before the E01 came out....

ill update it now..along with another find of mine

Crenshaw