how well they hold up. The smaller and lighter package is
nice, assuming its rugged.

One thing that seems to be a slight disadvantage (compared
with the HP ) is that you seem to have to turn the output
off to set the CC limit on these, at least according to
the web site.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
One thing that seems to be a slight disadvantage (compared with the HP ) is that you seem to have to turn the output off to set the CC limit on these, at least according to the web site.

Can you expand a bit on this... aka dumb it down a bit!! :p

I'm still learning, and don't know what you're talking about! :( I'm still knockin' down Electronics for Dummies...

Thanks for your response! :thumbsup
john

HCaul

Newly Enlightened
CC is "constant current". It's basically a current limit for the output. If the load tries to exceed the current limit you set, it will drop the voltage (down to zero if need be) to limit the current drain to the value you set. Or you can think about it the other way; the power supply will raise the output voltage up to the voltage you set it to with the voltage control until it is delivering the current you set with the CC control.

A supply with a CC setting can (should be able to) handle a dead short with no problem.

CC is a standard feature of bench/lab supplies; it's basically what distinguishes them from garden-variety fixed voltage power supplies.

For most applications, you can just keep the CC limit cranked up to the maximum. But when you need to set it, it's great to have. (You can use the CC feature to test an LED without a limit resistor, for example, or set it to avoid frying a circuit that might have a short in it.).

H. Caul

jch79

Got it... mostly! :thinking: Thanks for the awesome explanation! :thumbsup:

Well, I just ordered one - I'll post in this thread when I get it! :)

john

brickbat

Enlightened
could you guys look it over and see if it'll fulfill my needs?

Um, at the risk of being a smart ***, how would we know if it meets your needs? The only requirement you listed was 'not made in China'. And I see no mention of the country in which the item is actually manufactured.

jch79

Um, at the risk of being a smart ***, how would we know if it meets your needs? The only requirement you listed was 'not made in China'.

I listed in a post #9 that it'd be just for tinkering with LED flashlights.

And I see no mention of the country in which the item is actually manufactured.

I posted in post #1 that it's made in England.

:) john

Latest posts