BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: [BBREVIEW] Akoray K-106 3-mode Q5 AA/14500

A few of us were saying how great the Akoray was a few month ago when it first came out. No one listened to us!!! I guess us semi-newbies just don't carry enough weight. :mecry: I would say this light is by far the best you can get for ~$20 right now. It has a great build, programmable settings, super-bright, flexible power source! UI might not be as good as the Nitecore, but it is most likely brighter, and build is at least on par. Can you do a comparison for us Bessiebenny?

Anyway I curious why there aren't any budget P7 light reviews? Can anyone recommend one right now, or are they just all not worth getting?

Thanks!

Ordered one ! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16092
Seems to be good ? Some people have had problems ?
Put in the order Thu - got an email saying shipped today , Eeeer , thats 4 days from order to ship from DX :poke:

In anyway , been playing with the Ultrafire WF-502B R2 5mode + Memory from DX and its under $20 USD , and all I can say is kudoo's to DX for stocking it at the price they do . This one is the bee's knee's :grin2:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16179

I know its cheap , I have 3 Ultrafires ATM , and I haven't found a thing to complain about . If your not a Flash-a-snob , then you just might want one in your collection , I would have got another , but a 501B came into my life instead , and I sure would like to see DX stock the 501A , and I so want to add a 502D and a C1 :candle: But I think 3 x R2's is enough :crackup:

So a few more Ultrafires I would like to add to the collection :

But a Review on the 502B/501B when I get a Round Tu-it . :tinfoil:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire WF-502B / 501B Review

Ok here we go : Both take P60 style 26.5mm drop ins , both are R2 5 mode and the 502 has memory while the 501 does not .
Reverse Clicky , 2xCR123A 3v-3.7v / 1x18650 .
The 502 has a Belt Clip but no lanyard , while the 501 has the lanyard but no belt clip , of the two the 501 is slightly shorter and of lighter construction [ weighs less ] . I think it would be a great Idea if the 501 was given a belt clip , and the 502 a lanyard , other than that Im quite happy with both .

At this point I will mention the 501 has :http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13658
And was not supplied as an original R2 Model from Ultrafire .

The 502 has a internal threaded tail cap , and is the more difficult of the two to screw on , and is very easily cross threaded , so some care is needed .
Since I have no real complaints to go on about , lets get to performance .

Ultrafire WF-502B

Throw = reading @ 1 meter , light box readings = minimum readings .
LB1 = Light box 1 , LB2 = Light box 2

Ultrafire 18650 2400mA Protected

Hi - o.72mA - LB1 236Lux - LB2 11700Lux - Throw 5800Lux
Med - o.28mA - LB1 97Lux - LB2 4500Lux - Throw 2300Lux
Lo - o.o6mA - LB1 20Lux - LB2 900Lux - Throw 470Lux

Trustfire 18650 2500mA

Hi - o.64mA - LB1 217Lux - LB2 10300Lux - Throw 5300Lux
Med - o.26mA - LB1 88Lux - LB2 4050Lux - Throw 2000Lux
Lo - o.o5mA - LB1 17Lux - LB2 820Lux - Throw 420Lux

Ultrafire RCR123A 3.7v x 2 = 8.4v

Hi - o.43mA - LB1 221Lux - LB2 10800Lux - Throw 5230Lux
Med - 0.19mA - LB1 94Lux - LB2 4400Lux - Throw 2230Lux
Lo - o.o5mA - LB1 19Lux - LB2 900Lux - Throw 460Lux

Trustfire PRCR123A 3.7v x 2 = 8.4v

Hi - o.43mA - LB1 222Lux - Throw 5220Lux
Med - o.19mA - LB1 97Lux - Throw 2250Lux
Lo - o.o5mA - LB1 19Lux - Throw 460Lux

Ultrafire WF-501B

Ultrafire 18650 2400mA Protected

Hi - o.83mA - LB1 269Lux - LB2 12000Lux - Throw 4000Lux
Med - o.32mA - LB1 105Lux - LB2 4500Lux - Throw 1630Lux
Lo - o.o6mA - LB1 20Lux - LB2 900Lux - Throw 330Lux

Trustfire 18650 2500mA

Hi - o.81mA - LB1 242Lux - LB2 11900Lux - Throw 3600Lux
Med - o.31mA - LB1 92Lux - LB2 4500Lux - Throw 1400Lux
Lo - o.o5mA - LB1 18Lux - LB2 900Lux - Throw 280Lux

Ultrafire RCR123A 3.7v x 2 = 8.4v

Hi - 0.44mA - LB1 247Lux - LB2 11320Lux
Med - o.19mA - LB1 105 - LB2 4500Lux
Lo - o.o5mA - LB1 20Lux - LB2 900Lux

Now after taking more throw readings for the 501 , I could only conclude it was not much of a thrower and stopped there , sorry , thought it a little pointless ...

I have some figures for my Solarforce L2 to throw in as the testing was done under the same conditions etc .

LB1 Hi = 230Lux / LB2 Hi = 12000Lux / Throw 5300Lux .. Just for some perspective .

Beamshots tonight !

501B click to enlarge .

502B click to enlarge .

Solarforce L2 click to enlarge .

I guess the only way to know for sure is with real world trial , the solarforce L2 and the ultrafire 502B are very close to the naked eye , the 501B does lack some throw but its not much to the naked eye .. But the camera sure does tell the difference ...

Last edited:

genotypic

Newly Enlightened

btw, there is something VERY troubling when using 14500, after first 2 minutes of 200+ lumens, it drops to 50%.
Then after 2 minutes at roughtly 50% of initial output, it drops to ~10% output. Then just stays at that output.
But if you turn this light off and back on. It goes back to being 100% output again. Very strange indeed.
I've done the test with 14500 twice now. Both the same. Seems it has a overheat protection built-in?
My run time test is done in an air-conditioned office environment. Light does get quite warm. But not too hot.
If someone else has a K-106 & 14500, please confirm if it is the same for yours. (Just leave it on for 2+ minutes)

The K-106 has built in battery overdischarge protection. I'm not sure what the cut off voltage is, but that's what it does in mine when the battery is drained. Try popping a fresh 14500 in it and see what happens again.

The overdischarge protection can be toggled by triple tapping it (just like how you tap it 5x to enter program mode, but 3x instead of 2). It's on if it flashes twice, off if it flashes once. To toggle it just triple tap it again.

I know it's a bit confusing and I was totally confused by it for the first couple of days before I figured it out.

genotypic

Newly Enlightened

Oh, and I forgot to mention, using fresh 14500s charged to 4.18V, mine drops down from max to medium in about 40 minutes with overdischarge protection on. After that it's still possible to run it in medium for a few more hours depending on how low medium is programmed to be.

oronocova

Enlightened

Does teh K-106, or I should say does anyone else's K106 do this:

I have mine set to Minimum, Maximum, "Beacon"
if it goes unused for a while (i am assuming maybe a minute or more or it might be more time than that, usually if i leave it for a day i notice it) It will turn on in High every time. This is with a 14500 I am not sure if that makes a difference. Then I have to click through to low. It never turns on in low or beacon after a while just high. If you are using it on a regular basis it will just turn on in whatever mode you left it. But if you leave it for a while it loses it's mind or something. Anyone else have anything similar?

oldrock

Newly Enlightened
Re: BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part 8)

so does the K106 come with instructions to explain all the functions? Sounds like I am going to need to do some practice with it if I want to take advantage of its features. I will probably run mine with protection mode off so I can take advantage of full power.

My first order hasn't even arrived and I am already browsing for a second order. :grin2: Thinking maybe I need one of those super powered 500+ lumen maglight sized ones. I need something really bright for night hunting wild hogs out at our hunting property out in the country. The wild hogs are becoming a real nuisance and nighttime hunting is best long as you have a good strong light to see them. I have a cordless Q-beam which works good but only lasts maybe 20 mins and is very bulky and heavy.

gravityz

Enlightened

i ordered the akoray based on the findings here
the 6 mode was not so special but if it is 3 mode with memory it will be very nice
looks like when you order now you get the 3 mode(which i need) instead of the 6 mode)

hopefully i am right on this one.

oldrock

Newly Enlightened

my understanding is they are only selling the 3 mode now. At least I hope that is teh way it is since I ordered 3 of them with that understanding. I should have mine arriving in a week or two so will report soon as I get mine.

vali

Enlightened

Today I did a waterproof test to the Akoray K-106 and I confirm its pretty well sealed. I put the light in a tin of water with an almost depleted alkaline in low mode. Depth was about 10 cm at the lens and was there about 6 hours.

No moisture nor water inside. Since the can was tight I wasnt able to use the switch to confirm it can be operated submerged. When I tried to use it outside water a some went out of clip holes.

Since I used an almost depleted cell (one of the cells I used to test the runtime of the RC-N3 a while ago, and then even use it again a bit) and the K-106 was still working, I wonder what the runtime in low is (I dont expect it to be in par with a premium light?. BB, will you do a runtime test in the lowest mode? I'll really appreciate it.

If you want pics I can put it again in water and do a couple, just ask.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened

Hey guys, so if you're looking for a DX light, which brands have reliable quality relatively?

I'm especially looking for 1xAA and 1xAAA lights... unless I become a real flashaholic (doubtful) I won't jump into 10440s, RCR123s, and the like...

gravityz

Enlightened

the ultrafires are allways good to start with
they have a 5 or 6 mode with memory
i bought the akoray 6 mode(which is in fact a programmable 3 mode) which also seems good.

the stainless steel ones look nice but they are not that practical
they are heavy and do not transfer heat well.

if you choose one take one with HAIII coating. this means the aluminum is hardened and it will not scratch that easy.

for the type of led go with the Q5 or the Q2 type

if you have more money and want the best 1x AAA out there go for the LF2X
this thing produces more light than most 1x AA types but is really small(and will get hot on this setting)

Hey guys, so if you're looking for a DX light, which brands have reliable quality relatively?

I'm especially looking for 1xAA and 1xAAA lights... unless I become a real flashaholic (doubtful) I won't jump into 10440s, RCR123s, and the like...

tbenedict

Enlightened

If you want something bright and relatively cheap, check out the MTE C2-1. I bought one based on Bessie's review and love it for outside use. I think it has a great beam profile for it's purpose.

Note that it is too bright for close up work and it only runs about an hour due to the high output.

frankiej

Newly Enlightened

Phill

Newly Enlightened

Romisen is generally considered the best. Ultrafire is pretty close to them and MTE seems to be on the heels of UF. There will always be freak lights that are pretty unknown but get good reviews like the Akoray K106 that came out of nowhere not long ago though, so you shouldnt be too brand focussed overall.

Generally speaking, your best off just working out what you want to use the light for (ie, output, runtime, multimode, dimensions etc), then trawling through the reviews that are in the first post of this thread and the ones on DX and come up with a short list. Post up the short list with some thoughts as for what your looking for in this thread and there will be plenty of help and advice (including stuff you might have overlooked).

Fwiw, the CR123a is barely a little more expensive than a good AA battery. If you arent going to use the light daily then running one of them on primaries (which can be had for around a dollar a battery) can be a very size and energy efficient way of getting performance that you will never achieve with AAs. For instance, there are lights that can run on one 123 battery or two AAs, and in 123 mode it is much shorter and performs better.

richdsu

Newly Enlightened

Just stumbled upon this at ebay selling Solarforce L2 ( 6P compatible ) and parts at very low pricing ( even lower than DX and Kai )

===feel like to trying : getting two 18650 extension tubes, join them to the main body = 3 x 18650 6P flashlight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280303259494

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-L2-F...h=item280327441606&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-1865...h=item270355304240&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just stumbled upon this at ebay selling Solarforce L2 ( 6P compatible ) and parts at very low pricing ( even lower than DX and Kai )
Go to their web store, the prices are a little bit cheaper on the lights.

I got a Solarforce L2 with 18650 body, battery, and holster for $25.
Same thing on their eBay store is $28.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Solarforce L2 (6P-clone) and L2m (3P-clone) are awesome bargains these days, available in black, sand, and grey. I think their quality is right on the heels of SF... except for the tailcaps, which I still prefer from SF.

I just bought a couple of these from the Solarforcestore.com. For $25 you get a complete 6P-clone (or 3P clone) including Q5 or R2 lamp, rechargeable cell, and carrying case. Free shipping too. Takes about 10-days from Hong Kong. A superb deal on a high quality flashlight.

http://www.solarforcestore.com/serv...searchpath/10133/start/13/total/14/Categories

Phill

Newly Enlightened

Ive been looking at the Solarforce recently. Im sure im missing something but they do seem tremendous value.

By the by, can both use the P60 drop ins?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive been looking at the Solarforce recently. Im sure im missing something but they do seem tremendous value.

By the by, can both use the P60 drop ins?

Absolutely... I run Malkoff M60, M30, M-P7, and a variety of D26/P60 drop-ins in the Solarforce L2 and L2m hosts. They also accept Surefire tailcaps if you want to use, for example, a Z41 tactical twisty or Z59 tactical clicky.

Solarforce is head and shoulders above all the other xxxxfire brands. Solarforce is nipping so close to the heels of Surefire's 6P and 3P lights in quality that I consider them comparable. To get a complete 6P or 3P with Q5 or R2 lamp, rechargeable, and case for $25 including shipping is a staggering good deal. Great quality and rock bottom pricing. Buy an L2 or L2m and drop in a Malkoff M60 lamp and you've got an incredible light for about $80... and a spare Q5 or R2 lamp to use however or to sell.

Recently I bought a couple of Surefire 6P heads and comparing to the Solarforce L2 heads, the Sure's have a really cheapo plastic lens retaining ring whereas the Solars use a high quality stainless steel lens retaining ring. I like the Solars heads better. And the Solar lenses are very nicely finished on the edges, not like the cheap brands. Body-wise, I think the L2 L2m are equivalent to Sures. Re: tailcap switches... I still prefer Surefire's designs (and you can buy them separately), but the Solars switches are good quality and work well. Solarforce L2 and L2m components are completely interchangeable with Surefires 6p/3p components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.