BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

menos_16

Newly Enlightened
Re: Noob doubt, Romisen RC-T6.

wow, I was trying to create a new thread, no hijack this thread for my question, sorry for any inconvenience.

Plus-Secur

Newly Enlightened
I got the SacredFire NF-555 today.

At first:
Don`t forget, this one is a plagiat. I appreciate the work of R&D and will get the original one as well.

Now, back to the review.

I have the Romisen RC-A4 with the Q3- led and the Q5 version. The day the SacredFire NF-555 showed up in the "New Arrival" section I had to order it.
It just arrived and I had some time to play around with it. The overall build quality is quite good, it comes with a very solid clip (a big plus for me), has got a glass lens and a reverse clicky that seems quite sturdy. With some patience, tailstand is possible.
The finish is very good and the thread is even lubricated and has one O-ring. It has similar dimensions and design as the Romisen and weighs 77gr with one protected 16340. 16340? Yes, a little more about this later.
The bezel is a little thinner as the Romisen`s one, but it still guards the lens very good. Speaking about other functions: If you have the training needed, you can use it against an opponent if you have it in your hands anyway. Using it as a glass breaker isn`t a good idea. You might destroy a window with it, but prepare some dressing! I tried to break a car side-window with the Romisen (security class of course) but had no luck to break it, even when I applied a lot of force. No worries, I did this legally during an EMT-training.

Mode arrangement of my one is Lo > High > Strobe. I would prefer Hi > Lo > Strobe as advertised. I am a big strobe fan and this strobe is very good to get someones attention. To use it in a selfdefense situation it should be a little brighter and quicker. The memory mode is a little weird: It always starts with the next mode.
The beam pattern is quite good: a nice and well defined throw with a very usable spill and only a decent donut hole.
At first I used a CR123A primary and the beam seemed to be a warmwhite version of the Romisen Q3 (running on 16340). This changed a lot when I put a 16340 into it:

This one is bright! I compared it to the Q5 version and I really have to say, that this one is at least as bright as the Q5 Romisen, maybe even brighter AND has got a nicer beam pattern! Wow. I ordered a R2-led to upgrade this light, but there is realy no need to do this.
After 10minutes of running, the flashlight gets warm but not too hot to worry about it. It seems to be perfect for cold german winter nights;-) Speaking about running time: I did not check for how long this flashlight would run, I`ll do that this weekend.
I`m a Romisen-fan, but in this case they seem to be beaten.

Sacredfire, change the modes to Hi > Lo > Strobe, give it a forward clicky with momentary on, change the memory mode - and if the runtime and the longtime experience will be as good as the first impressions,....than we have a close to perfect edc light here!

English is not my mother tongue, so excuse mistakes. I hope no one minds, that I will copy-paste this into the DX-forum as well.

mfm

Enlightened
Did anyone get the AKOray AK-12 (on kaidomain)?

I tried to search for it in the forum, but nothing came up.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Data overflow -_-

I have read so much about flashlights in the last month but as with all the things i want to buy, its only making matters worse.

i currently own a c-8 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6131), and i must say i'm happy with it. It has nice throw, is bright and is very handy because it has no big giant head.

The first problem occurs that i don't really know what i want. I want something that puts out alot of light. Then i figure, i don't want a giant flashlight, because i'll never take it with me. The third problem is, that i don't really need another flashlight, so i don't want to spend over 30$ for it. The cheaper the better. I only have AA bateries at home, but i did order a cr123a and 18650 charger, so i am willing to go for 18650, they are probably best for flashlights if i want some runtime. I am also not sure if i want a flooder or a thrower. After thinking about it, i want something of a thrower, but it doesnt have to be all about the throw.

Anyways with all this in mind, i went over to DX and added a few to my wishlist. And thats up i have untill now

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23284 - I love the slim design of this aurora. 900mA on a 18650 seems to promise a lot of light, but im not sure about the emitter on this one, is the R2 WC any good?

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335 again a lovely slim design, price kicks ***, but it seems too much of a flood light, 1.2A, q5 emitter, 18650, low mode, everything but the beam pattern seems to be perfect at the first glance. I might buy this one as my indoor lamp one day.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16179 This UF WF 502b also seems like a nice design, and the bigger head also promises a bit more throw.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10637 This aurora doesnt seem to bad either, promises alot of throw and has a Q5 emitter. Also what i love about it is that i has only 2 modes. I like having Hi-Lo, but most of the time that means you have the useless strobe modes also.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5379 This one looks nice too, cheap, romisen, throwy... There is also one that is supposed to have 2 modes, but some comments say it only has one (not sure if people just don't know how to use them)

If you have any comments about the choices above, bring them on. If you have any suggestions that are better then these, they are also welcome. If you manage to smack some sense into me and convice me not to buy anything, you get a medal. :p

And im sure i could find a bunch more that fit my bill. Another nice thing would be if i could get it somewhere else then on DX, since i'm kind of sick of their service and taking them a month before they even ship out anything. But heck they have things i cant get on ebay and are usually the cheapest. -.-

PS; also thinking of buying my GF a flashlight, but that one probably has to be (double) AA, anyone knows if the c3 UF q5 on ebay is better than my c8? :D

Mike_TX

Enlightened
Did I get a WF-502B in a WF-501B package?

The Ultrafire 501B is supposed to be a single-mode, but the one I just got is a 5-mode ... H, M, L, Strobe and SOS. That seems to describe the 502B, doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy, just wondering. ;-)

Odd thing, though ... when I got the light it didn't work. Checked the batts with my multimeter and everything was fine. So I cleaned the tailcap threads and applied a little lithium grease, and voila - it works fine now. Go figger.

As a quick comparison with my Cree P4 zoom (rated at 100 lumens), it's easy to see the difference the 501B's 250 lumens makes. The 501B is obviously more of thrower than a flood.

WF-501BComparison.jpg

mrbubbles

Newly Enlightened
Longest runtime flashlight on DX?

Anybody know what is the longest runtime flashlight on DX on low mode?

I'm looking for a flashlight that takes 18650 or RCR123, preferably 10 hours or more on lowest mode, longer the better.

Thanks in advance.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: Longest runtime flashlight on DX?

My vote goes to either of the 1-100% ramping drop ins (17593, 11074).

At the lowest setting they draw in the double digit mah. I measured the 17593 at 35mah from 2xRCR123 cells. I would expect the 11074 to draw roughly ~2x that (70mah). Divide your cell capacity by each of these to estimate your approximate run times. You should also be aware that light levels this low are only really useful with fully adapted night vision.

DX:17593 - Minimag Solitaire - ITP-A3 EOS-Low (3 Lumens)
dscn2152.jpg

Last edited:

how2

Enlightened
Plus-Secur

How hot or cool does the sacredfire run compared to the

Romisen RC-A4 with the Q3- led and the Q5 version.

Thanks

superpila

Newly Enlightened
Kaidomain WF 502B with R5

I just got the ultrafire wf-502b from KD, with 5 modes XP-G R5: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10066
I also have the 5 mode R2 from DX, and thought it would be nice to make a comparison.

The drop-in came with the emitter out of center. I took a look inside and found a first horrible surprise: the star is not glued to the heatsink but it's just floating on a bubble of thermal compound. When you screw the reflector in, this keeps the star "close enough" to the heatsink. I don't know how this thing is supposed to work in the long run, because the emitter becomes extremely hot after few seconds of usage, although I successfully run the torch at high for five minutes, without apparent damage. Perhaps I should try to glue it anyway (suggestions?)

When I switched the thing on, on a freshly charged 18650, it looked immediately much brighter than the R2 version. On a subjective ceiling bounce test this thing is comparable to my MCE dropin from DX, although differences in color make it quite difficult to make a fair comparison

It has the usual 5 modes: High, medium, low, strobe, sos. Unlike the R2 version you don't have the half a second wait when you switch the flashlight on, also modes don't have memory and the flashlight always starts on high. This means that we are looking at a different driver than the R2 version. And in fact, here is what I measured on a freshly charged 18650:

high: 2.60A (OMG!!!!)
medium: 0.9A
low: 0.15A

This explains why it was so much brighter than the R2 version which "just" runs on 1.0A . The R5 is DD at high, and PWM (the flickering is barely noticeable) at lower settings.
2.6A (although it quickly drops to 2.2 after a couple of minutes) is definitely not a good idea for this emitter, especially with such a poor thermal design of the dropin.

The dropin with reflector removed:

img6446m.jpg

R2 version on the left, r5 version on the right:
img6451.jpg

Beamshots

502b r5 on the left, r2 on the right:
img6452a.jpg

502b r5 on the left, fenix LD20 on the right:
img6457.jpg

502b r5 on the left, DX MCE dropin in 502B host on the right (ugly beam):
img6459j.jpg

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Kaidomain WF 502B with R5

Sounds like when the bugs get worked out and heatsinking gets properly done that the XR-G LED is a quantum leap forward!

BRIGHT pretty beam especially compared to MC-E!!!

J_C

Enlightened

I just got the ultrafire wf-502b from KD, with 5 modes XP-G R5: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10066

The drop-in came with the emitter out of center. I took a look inside and found a first horrible surprise: the star is not glued to the heatsink but it's just floating on a bubble of thermal compound. When you screw the reflector in, this keeps the star "close enough" to the heatsink. I don't know how this thing is supposed to work in the long run, because the emitter becomes extremely hot after few seconds of usage, although I successfully run the torch at high for five minutes, without apparent damage. Perhaps I should try to glue it anyway (suggestions?)

If the pill screws in far enough to keep reflector pressure against the LED base, that can work fine to heatsink it. If it doesn't, you could glue it down but personally I would want to be able to easily remove it later.

Assuming (check it with your multimeter to be sure) the "star" LED board itself is electrically isolated from the +/- power supply, I would instead drill a couple tiny holes in it (noting how much clearance you have between the +/- traces as seen in the picture), and slightly smaller holes in the pill, and screw it down using screws you add, continuing to use heatsink grease but it could require fairly careful measurement and accurate drilling since the reflector base may need a bit of clearance around the LED. I would only try this with a drill press not a hand-held drill.

Exactly.

img6446m.jpg

vivid

Newly Enlightened
Guys I was wondering if you could help me pick out a flashlight. Normally I buy cheap flashlights when I see them on special. My last buy was for a couple of 14 superbright LED 3AAA flashlight from an electonics website for sub $5. Not a bad light but I know there must be better.

I will be buying multiple of these (get the discount from DX) for my home and cars. I want it to be a little bit of everything, good throw but also reasonable flood, bright and compact in size. Generally a great every day light. I will use it for anything from task lighting, moving around in the dark to monitoring the back yard (30m).

One item that makes my search a little harder... I just invested in some duraloops AA and AAA and want to utilize these cells. I don't mind if the flashlight needs multiple calls to operate. When looking through the highly rated lights on the first post, most lights were geared towards specialty batteries, or at least worked much better with the specialty cells.

As its a everyday light I don't really need too many modes, maybe just a hi/low mode. I do prefer a positive clicky to a reverse.

if unable to recommend a particular flashlight could you give me tips for things to look for such as bulb type, min light output and throw etc.

thanks in advance.
Mark

superpila

Newly Enlightened

If the pill screws in far enough to keep reflector pressure against the LED base, that can work fine to heatsink it. If it doesn't, you could glue it down but personally I would want to be able to easily remove it later.

Assuming (check it with your multimeter to be sure) the "star" LED board itself is electrically isolated from the +/- power supply, I would instead drill a couple tiny holes in it (noting how much clearance you have between the +/- traces as seen in the picture), and slightly smaller holes in the pill, and screw it down using screws you add, continuing to use heatsink grease but it could require fairly careful measurement and accurate drilling since the reflector base may need a bit of clearance around the LED. I would only try this with a drill press not a hand-held drill.

Exactly.

img6446m.jpg
Thanks for your hints!
The reflector was well insulated and the pressure was sufficient to keep the star close enough to the heathsink (I noticed that when fully screwed, the reflector made the star slightly twist, indicating that it was firmly pressed against the heatsink). Unfortunately, I verified that 2.6 were too much the worst way. In fact, running a discharge test on the torch fried my led at around 10 minutes. I have a spare 16mm xpg-r5 star, I'll try to replace the burned one and block it with screws, as you suggested.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys I was wondering if you could help me pick out a flashlight. Normally I buy cheap flashlights when I see them on special. My last buy was for a couple of 14 superbright LED 3AAA flashlight from an electonics website for sub $5. Not a bad light but I know there must be better.

I will be buying multiple of these (get the discount from DX) for my home and cars. I want it to be a little bit of everything, good throw but also reasonable flood, bright and compact in size. Generally a great every day light. I will use it for anything from task lighting, moving around in the dark to monitoring the back yard (30m).

One item that makes my search a little harder... I just invested in some duraloops AA and AAA and want to utilize these cells. I don't mind if the flashlight needs multiple calls to operate. When looking through the highly rated lights on the first post, most lights were geared towards specialty batteries, or at least worked much better with the specialty cells.

As its a everyday light I don't really need too many modes, maybe just a hi/low mode. I do prefer a positive clicky to a reverse.

if unable to recommend a particular flashlight could you give me tips for things to look for such as bulb type, min light output and throw etc.

thanks in advance.
Mark

AA / or AAA / or CR123A or 18650 ...

Multiple batts are OK ?

If you check out DX , they have lots of 3xAAA lights ..
I like multi mode , and the SAIK SA8 is 3 mode , only the driver is a little iffy with higher voltage , stick to 4.2/4.5v and you should be ok .

Actually I need to order another for Christmas .

Slash5

Newly Enlightened

I just got the ultrafire wf-502b from KD, with 5 modes XP-G R5:

medium: 0.9A
low: 0.15A

This explains why it was so much brighter than the R2 version which "just" runs on 1.0A . The R5 is DD at high, and PWM (the flickering is barely noticeable) at lower settings.
2.6A (although it quickly drops to 2.2 after a couple of minutes) is definitely not a good idea for this emitter, especially with such a poor thermal design of the dropin.
I ordered the 501B when it appeared on the KD site. I've had it for a couple of weeks and like it a lot. Nice big, smooth beam, great for walking the dogs. My emitter is off center just like yours - so bad I expected it to cutoff part of beam. But it doesn't seem to hurt.
I like it enough that I've ordered a drop in to put in a Solarforce.

Just metered it with a Fluke meter and got
High .95
Medium .35
Low .07

Also metered with a fairly expensive made in China meter from Canadian Tire

And an older good quality meter from RCC?

Last edited:

superpila

Newly Enlightened

I ordered the 501B when it appeared on the KD site. I've had it for a couple of weeks and like it a lot. Nice big, smooth beam, great for walking the dogs. My emitter is off center just like yours - so bad I expected it to cutoff part of beam. But it doesn't seem to hurt.
I like it enough that I've ordered a drop in to put in a Solarforce.

Just metered it with a Fluke meter and got
High .95
Medium .35
Low .07

Also metered with a fairly expensive made in China meter from Canadian Tire

And an older good quality meter from RCC?

kaidomain has two dropins:
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10197
and
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10064

the first is regulated while the latter (the one I burned) is DD at high, and only accepts one cell.
According to your readings it seems like you have the regulated version and that it works much better than the DD one, so I decided to order one of them. Perhaps I should buy a dog as well, it seems like a very good reason to own a flashlight
..... mmm maybe a dozen of dogs then :).

Last edited:

Slash5

Newly Enlightened

kaidomain has two dropins:
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10197
and
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10064

the first is regulated while the latter (the one I burned) is DD at high, and only accepts one cell.
According to your readings it seems like you have the regulated version and that it works much better than the DD one, so I decided to order one of them. Perhaps I should buy a dog as well, it seems like a very good reason to own a flashlight
..... mmm maybe a dozen of dogs then :).

Yep, dog walking is a great reason to grab the flashlight.
The dropin I ordered is the 10064. I'll have to measure it first thing when I try it and see what the draw is. May have to add a driver if it's too high.
Shipped on the 10th so probably at least another week before I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.