Best 18650 charger?

Nev

Banned
The 3400 discharge down to 3.1 volts , the 3100 discharge down to 2.8 volts.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes same charger just different names...............just too add to the confusion . The latest version as Nev states discharges down to 3.1v due to issues with some protected cells(tripping iirc or just cheap cells). The older one which i have ,v2.2 discharges down to 2.8v. If anything, the older will get you a more accurate reading as most cells min V is 2.5. So manufacturers will measure the cells mah from 2.5(or 2.75 variable on manufacturer) to 4.2v. Its not critical imo anyway, you can still build up a comparison with other cells you have and also notice any build up(IR) loss of mah.

Both models(or all as several) have 0.2 to 2a on bays 1+4, 2+3 are limited to 1a and if all 4 used, all limited to 1a.

Even today, several years on, the opus still offers very good bang for buck. Hard to beat this side of $35 imho.................its not perfect but its damn good!

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Xtar Dragon, so I wouldnt have to worry about multimeters and everything. Its perfect so far.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3400 discharge down to 3.1 volts , the 3100 discharge down to 2.8 volts.

Not entirely correct.

The BT-3400 v. 2.2 discharges down to 2.80v and the BT-3400 v. 3.1 discharges down to 3.10v. The BT-3400 v. 2.2 also has an upgraded fan over the BT-3100 v. 2.1 model and you can toggle the lighted display for 'constant' on, or off after a few seconds.

Chris

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you can see, lots of good chargers these day to choose from, these days it's most important to know what you really want in a charger.

1. Compatible Cell Chemistries
2. Max Charge Rate
3. How Many Cells
4. Maximum and minimum physical Size of the cells you need to charge.
5. 12V input OK, or do you prefer USB for connivence.
6. Integrated battery analyzer?
7. Other special requirements?

Thinking about these points, and probably a few I forgot like ergonomics/ease of use, can help you get the right charger.

Since you said you might settle for 2 cell charger, I'm liking the look of the MiBoxer C2-4000 right now. On paper it looks really good. If it was 4 cell I'm sure it would be a hot item, but currently the companies 4 cell chargers don't have a good test/analyzer mode. Check HKJ's review of the charger first, I have not had a chance to play with it myself, just too many other chargers to play with these days, but I'm looking forward to spending time with it. Lots of other good suggestions already mentioned.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Nitecore SC4 charger. 4 slots, 300mA to 3000mA charge per slot (though half-that if you use all the slots at the same time). It has a bunch of functions, and will do all chemistries, but really the only thing I use is the voltage readout, in case I want to take the cells out early.

Unless you're into analysis, pretty much any lithium-ion charger is fine. They all use the same CC/CV algorithm. I like the little micro-USB chargers for single cells, if you don't need a rapid charge. But, yeah, for multi-cell lights, your best bet is a 4-slot charger.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I've had the Zanflare C4 for about a month now. Great charger, very happy with it.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.

Is it true that the Opus BTC3400 has an internal switch to switch to the 4.35v Li-ion cells?
That could be very useful in the future for me.

Normally i design my own chargers but i wanted to get a ready made one this time that can test cells as well.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.

Is it true that the Opus BTC3400 has an internal switch to switch to the 4.35v Li-ion cells?
That could be very useful in the future for me.

Normally i design my own chargers but i wanted to get a ready made one this time that can test cells as well.

Yes it is, but you have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the case to access the slider switch with a toothpick, or other non-conductive tool.

I drilled mine out with a Dremel and a monkey can do it.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is, but you have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the case to access the slider switch with a toothpick, or other non-conductive tool.

I drilled mine out with a Dremel and a monkey can do it.

Chris

Hi,

I think that tipped the scale for me. That's my preferred charger now :)

Thanks for the info here.

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Excellent thread and info - just ordered a new XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus.

I currently have an XTAR VC4 but it's really slow when charging 3 x 18650s so the VP4 plus will be a great upgrade. Hopefully set up and ease of use will be as simple as my old VC4.

Robert Crayton

Newly Enlightened
Hello there,

Is there any really good charger out there, an up to date model i hope?
I might settle for a two cell charger that does 1 amp each cell with 2 cells installed, but i would prefer to be able to do 2 amps per cell with 2 cells installed, and four cells with 1 amp each or really four cells with 2 amps each would be ideal.

Anyone have some links or ideas?
18650 is the target cell but other cells would be nice too, such as the bigger ones.

Thanks again.

Hi, I am new to this forum and just saw this message from you while browsing the site. For recommending batteries and battery chargers, I think I am very vocal because I have used at least 20 brands of batteries and chargers. I bought and used EBL battery and chargers now.
Worked like charm, no problem! This is the simplest solution to achieve my needed result! The most is this battery charger fit for many battery types: 26650 18650 17500 14500 16340(RCR123), Ni-MH/Ni-Cd AA AAA Batteries, can charge almost all the batteries I use nowadays. Highly recommend it to you.