Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

Sos24

Enlightened
How about any alternatives to the Executive? The more I research the more I realise that I think that is more suitable for me. The pocket clip setup seems more usable less cumbersome.

Of it is just the pocket clip that concerns you, I use a ProTac 1L-1AA pocket clip held on using paracord. It works really well for me. You could also use zip-tie(s) or I think another member has used o-rings.
dae3eda230346a12bee50c11404b7d4f.jpg

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?

Assuming you mean the MD1, I agree that the specs probably favor the ZL. But OP seems to prefer American made, and Malkoff and Martin D White meet that requirement. I like to swap P60s, so I'm imagining the OP does too:twothumbs

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
EDIT: Zebralight has fast strobe, slow strobe, dim beacon, bright beacon. No SOS. Strange I guess the HDS is the better light for at sea :)

Not saying that setup isn't a good choice, and a good solid light, and OP has kind of hinted he's looking in another direction than Zebralight, and that's fine, but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?

You have made you're point that you think Zebralight is far superior to the HDS, despite it having neither a rotary or a tail clickie.

Now could we get back to helping the OP by trying to answer the question asked.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
You have made you're point that you think Zebralight is far superior to the HDS, despite it having neither a rotary or a tail clickie.

Now could we get back to helping the OP by trying to answer the question asked.

Absolutely. I just wish I had another suggestion for the OP that fits his criteria. That setup lion mentioned could fit the bill.

Sos24

Enlightened
+ 1, good recommendation! Forgot about that one. Anduril's ramping is a solid alternative!

I agree that Andruil's ramping is a nice UI and good alternative to a rotary. The one thing I do not like about Andruil is that the ones I have only turn on at last mode, highest or lowest. One of the thinks I really appreciate with the HDS (and other rotary + tail clickies) is I have the option of adjusting brightness before turning on.

Also, considering the OP was asking about made in US, and I'm also curious, are there any flashlights made or produce in US with the Andruil UI?

Depends on your definition of "alternatives." If you want a 1" diameter, rugged, multi-mode, made-in-USA, rear clicky with multiple emitter choices, look close at Malkoff as TG recommended. But if you value the UI/firmware and configurability of HDS (ie the electronics), you are out of luck. No other vendor really comes close, although I agree with DoR that ZL is one of the few (only other?) vendors to offer direct access to multiple brightness settings via a clicky interface. I detest cycling through modes I don't want to find the one I do.

EDIT: by Malkoff, I mean a VME head mated to an e-series body (or an MD2 with hi/lo ring) with multiple M61 variants :)

EDIT: @jon_slider speaks well of the RRT-01 and Eye10...

I agree with jon_slider that the RRT-01 is a nice light and from my experience the closest in quality to the HDS Rotary. Although, I would say if you want the Rotary + tail switch, make sure to find the RRT-01 Raptor and not the 2019 RRT-01 which is rotary only

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I recommended the RRT01 in the first page here. It seems to be a pretty solid light from the review I saw. Only problem is the driver is setup for a CR123, meaning it's direct drive with a Li ion, meaning no regulation.

alexinc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. That Lumintop had me curious. It is significantly cheaper. All the suggestions looked like great flashlights. Paralysed by choice!

Another question: anyone recommend a flashlight mount for their HDS for their shotgun? (mossberg 590) I'd like to keep that avenue open as well but wanted to see if anyone on here uses it for that application

nbp

Flashaholic
There are probably only two or three flashlight makers in CPF history that have been discussed more than HDS, and HDS is likely the smallest operation of them all. That doesn't happen by accident. Can you get one with a problem? Sure. But it's a tiny fraction of them. Look at all the manufacturers you don't hear from anymore. People catch on quickly when you build crappy products. They don't keep buying them for nearly 20 years like they have for Henry's lights.

daffy

Enlightened
I feel in the same way, a few HDS light are (pre-)ordered. At the End of 2020 I will post an update. It will looks tan quite a little bit better. :party::rock:
They are nice lights indeed will be good to see more when you get them :)

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I like the zebra UI, their quality control is really inferior to that in HDS. Out of 4 zebras I have had two have failed.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoping the thread originator here will inform us of his decision when made. I'm rooting for HDS; cost and all.
For the record; Going out in lion country at night should not be a solo affair. As it is said about bears, there has never been a report (I hope) of an attack against two or more people and in reality, HDS would likely be just as effective/ineffective shining light against a wild one as a light twice as bright. It is a false sense of confidence that a brighter light inspires.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Of it is just the pocket clip that concerns you, I use a ProTac 1L-1AA pocket clip held on using paracord. It works really well for me. You could also use zip-tie(s) or I think another member has used o-rings.
dae3eda230346a12bee50c11404b7d4f.jpg

Or a nice reverse bend Ti clip held in place with screws.

1629179978982.png