Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe too fringe/low volume, but the Fraz wireless american made flashlights may suit the OP's user interface desires. Weight may be an issue.
Disclosure: As admirable as HDS is, the idea that one was forced to buy a small body then buy the 18650 body to get a longer running tool was too much. For an item to be carried, weight is a factor and the added HDS thickness is not needed for me. I don't own a shotgun so no chance of shooting my flashlight.
Since 2013, Zebralight fills the bill for everynight carry in this neck of the woods. SC52 first but disappointment with lack of capacity and horrid tint then led to SC62d and now the SC64 LE. UI is not perfect by any means.
If people are willing to buy HDS year after year, then it's got to be good. In the long run, the extra money spent on it is simply not a big deal.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS rotary and zebralight SC64w hi are two of my favorite lights. For me the ui of the hds is sufficiently superior to justify the added cost. I also like to support small businesses and makers when I have the opportunity.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
The Rotary UI and Zebralight UI are both excellent, but I don't believe there will ever be a "perfect" UI, not because of a design limitation, but because we are human beings, and no design will ever be a "one size fits all".

One note I would like to make on the Zebralight UI. Although at first glance, when reading the directions, as well as using the light for the very first time, it may seem overly complicated at first, and nothing different that the mass market gimmicky UIs. But my own experience is that it's becomes second nature so easily and uniquely it's amazing. When swapping between different lights I have, I would always found myself fumbling with the UI , missing modes, etc. Not with the Zebralight, it becomes second nature. YMMV.

scout24

Flashaholic
With the concern about material getting into the mechanism, let's remember if the HDS Rotary stops being able to be rotated, it will act like a regular Clicky. So, you can program three additional output modes in addition to Rotary functionality. Say, moonlight, 10 lumens, and full power. Rotary only has to occupy one preset slot. The engineering failsafe thought may not be bottomless, but it's pretty damn close

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a wtb to see if there were any more reasonable price to be had. Most of the used prices I saw were just 20-30 bucks less than buying brand new. I guess it's good to see high resale value but at those price points it makes more sense to buy from the company.

I sold a 140 lumen HDS clicky (219A, HICRI) for about $190. If you are OK with an older model, you can find a used one in great condition in vicinity of $200. 6200K XP-G2 Rotaries routinely sell for around $160-180. If you want to see for yourself, do a search for "WTS HDS 250."

If you're looking for a limited edition emitter at 200 lumens or more, don't expect much of a discount. Which in a way is good news - you know you're buying a tool that holds its value because of demand.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drill hole, not conjecture, common sense. Tell me, what is a stronger, and a more integral design. An HDS with a drill hole, or one without? Don't need an engineering degree to figure that one out.

The hole is an engineering necessity, to connect the rotary dial with the battery compartment. If Henry could eliminate the hole, he would.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
As admirable as HDS is, the idea that one was forced to buy a small body then buy the 18650 body to get a longer running tool was too much. For an item to be carried, weight is a factor and the added HDS thickness is not needed for me. I don't own a shotgun so no chance of shooting my flashlight.

If you choose "Custom-built" under HDS Products, you can pick a specific battery compartment. If you want only an 18650 configuration, no problem, just order it. Want only 2xAA, no problem, just order it.

alexinc

Newly Enlightened
How about any alternatives to the Executive? The more I research the more I realise that I think that is more suitable for me. The pocket clip setup seems more usable less cumbersome.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your definition of "alternatives." If you want a 1" diameter, rugged, multi-mode, made-in-USA, rear clicky with multiple emitter choices, look close at Malkoff as TG recommended. But if you value the UI/firmware and configurability of HDS (ie the electronics), you are out of luck. No other vendor really comes close, although I agree with DoR that ZL is one of the few (only other?) vendors to offer direct access to multiple brightness settings via a clicky interface. I detest cycling through modes I don't want to find the one I do.

EDIT: by Malkoff, I mean a VME head mated to an e-series body (or an MD2 with hi/lo ring) with multiple M61 variants :)

EDIT: @jon_slider speaks well of the RRT-01 and Eye10...

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
How about any alternatives to the Executive? The more I research the more I realise that I think that is more suitable for me. The pocket clip setup seems more usable less cumbersome.

Lumintop FW1A is very similar in size and shape, but the UI is different. Still good, just different.

E: Quality/reliability is reportedly lower, but my (similar) FW3A hasn't seen issues.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 1, good recommendation! Forgot about that one. Anduril's ramping is a solid alternative!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Fairly different aesthetics ... but Peak QTC Logan ? ... SureFire T1A ?

I also missed Archimedes post, the Surefire and Peak are very good, low cost suggestions for the OP that are very well made and reliable.

Thank you. How about some comparison photos ?

Pvxin5t.jpg

63KTNi0.jpg

pD9uta9.jpg

6TQ1OPV.jpg

8j5zBwb.jpg

wCEtE3o.jpg

Most of the above have been mentioned somewhere in this thread. Glad to answer any specific questions, too ....

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you choose "Custom-built" under HDS Products, you can pick a specific battery compartment. If you want only an 18650 configuration, no problem, just order it. Want only 2xAA, no problem, just order it.

Great news; was hoping that option was available now. HDS is absolutely worthy of respect.
But when walking the dogs late evening with 10 year old son and wife, being able to juice the goose with full blast whatever lumens ZL 64 LE puts out, is nice.

20 seconds, recorded last night, neighbor's house <15 minute brisk walk away:

https://youtu.be/JFizjhytuaQ

A little over a month ago:
https://youtu.be/Vsarpd2ZEck

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
God knows I never want to recommend the usage of disco mode, but just in case, it's 3 clicks on the Zebralight guys. :laughing: Just make sure to preprogram the strobe mode of your choosing (can HDS do that :thinking:) or you'll get a beacon.

In a serious light, that really is a scary situation to look at there, and the utilitarian use of the massive burst mode of the Zebralight is a good point Kitrobaskin makes. It has it's place.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure to preprogram the strobe mode of your choosing (can HDS do that :thinking:) or you'll get a beacon.

Yes. In addition to 24 brightness levels, each of the 4 HDS presets can be configured as FastStrobe, SlowStrobe, Pulsating Strobe, Beacon Strobe, or SOS (46CFR161.013-7 compliant).

Although more difficult to source, OP might consider a MD1 or MD1.5 battery tube made by CPF member Martin White mated to a MDX22.3 head with a Malkoff M361 (or, if you can find one, a P60 with Drjones Lucidrv2). Unlike the short-tube HDS, the MD1 will take an 18350 or 16340.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Yes. In addition to 24 brightness levels, each of the 4 HDS presets can be configured as FastStrobe, SlowStrobe, Pulsating Strobe, Beacon Strobe, or SOS (46CFR161.013-7 compliant).

Although more difficult to source, OP might consider a MD1 or MD1.5 battery tube made by CPF member Martin White mated to a MDX22.3 head with a Malkoff M361 (or, if you can find one, a P60 with Drjones Lucidrv2). Unlike the short-tube HDS, the MD1 will take an 18350 or 16340.

EDIT: Zebralight has fast strobe, slow strobe, dim beacon, bright beacon. No SOS. Strange I guess the HDS is the better light for at sea :)

Not saying that setup isn't a good choice, and a good solid light, and OP has kind of hinted he's looking in another direction than Zebralight, and that's fine, but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?