Best Bang for Buck Minimag Mod

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of AA Minimags that I'd like to get some good use out of, but I'm not willing to spend a lot. 1-watt luxeon TerraLux module at Brightguy, for ~$26, seems like a pretty good bet. Would appreciate any comments or alternate ideas.

Thanks.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Best bang for the buck would probably be to use energizer lithiums. They give the incan bulb fairly steady (and slightly brighter) output for a while longer than alkaline.

I understand there's a xenon bulb available for the minimag now too.

I prefer a good luxeon sandwich. They areen't always cheap.

Daniel

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have one minim*g with an Opalec Newbeam in it.

One with a Madmax+ sandwich in it.

And one with a Lambda 3W Drop in pill in it.

All are nice, Opalec for close work and runtime. Madmax for brightness (although mine is tinted rather purple/blue)...

But the Lambda pill is without a doubt the best money I ever spent on a light!!! Output is very good medium size WHITE spot with outstanding spill! Runtime is in the neighborhood of 2 hours on NimH (though I have run mine for at least a month intermittently with no sign of dead batteries yet).

I also have 2 of the XM3 from Elektrolumens and they are pretty nice.

But the Lambda mini rides on my belt and it doesn't look like it will get bumped any time soon!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for the money I vote Lambda. It's only a few bucks more than the average drop-ins, and it really beats them up as far as just about everything you'd need a flashlight to do. .

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lambda MiniPro III thread is HERE. Relax and prepare for a long hour of reading because it is a long thread.

I've got a MP III and it is good. You might also consider using a Nexgen or Madmax with a reflector in a MiniMag. They are comparable to the MP III.

The MP III is waaaay backordered. Lambda is pushing to have MP III DIY kits made for early January.

mrme

Enlightened
I found some nice Xenon bulbs for mine. They were replacement bulbs for a Bison 2 C cell light. The current draw is about 750 ma. I used it at work for several months where batteries were provided, so runtime was not as much of an issue. They were alaklines, which give you plenty of warning before they run out (important when you use the light a lot at irregualr intervals). I had to drill the reflector a bit to make them fit, but it works fine. I got them at Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo, Utah, at about $3 for a 2 pack.

I'll bet a Stremlight Twin Tasklight bulb would work. The 1L is rated to 900 ma and 3 V. The 2D will probably be close to that.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lambda MiniPro III sounds great, but appears to be a loooong wait. In the meantime, anyone tried the Terralux MiniStar 2 (1 watt) luxeon drop-in? Great review from Quickbeam, and they're $25 at Berkeley Point, and a 10% discount is available for CPFers. Also, low shipping costs, ~ $5. Anyone tried them?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just recently dropped a Terralux MiniStar 2 into a Minimag, and it seems to be everything advertised. Beam is a bit smoother than the original, and definitely brighter. Nice, white light in my sample too.

This is perfect for my wife, who loves her Minimags. It seems I was always putting new bulbs in those things, so.... I converted two of them with the Ministar1 - those are her travel 'reading' lamps. The one with the Ministar2 is her general purpose light.

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
Best bang for the buck would probably be to use energizer lithiums. They give the incan bulb fairly steady (and slightly brighter) output for a while longer than alkaline.

I understand there's a xenon bulb available for the minimag now too.

I prefer a good luxeon sandwich. They areen't always cheap.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried energizer E2's in my mags and they are to fat to fit in.

Also the new blub (the one with the green right around the base) is a little nicer. smoother althought a little oval shape, but still not to bad for a stock bulb.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my two Terralux Ministar 2 drop-ins a few days ago. Easy to install. At first, I was a bit disappointed in output---more than a Gerber Trio but less than a SL JR Lux. Then, began to like more and more as I used one over the weekend: nice, small MiniMag form factor, decent amt. of useable light for lighting up the trail and various chores around the house, easy twist-on operation (much faster than the JR's thumb operation). Just plain handy.

Ended up putting 2 lithiums in one to replace my Ultra G as my emergency light in the car, and the other will continue on as a general purpose light for house, trail, etc.

If they really end up getting 5-7 hours of regulated output, that may ice the cake.