Best batteries/charger for D cell Malkoff Maglite

B.D. Dubloon

Newly Enlightened
I am planning on using a 2 and/or 3 D cell maglite with a Malkoff device for about an hour or so every night for work. What would you guys recommend as far as rechargeable batteries go? I found this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204321&highlight=maglite+rechargeable+batteries

but wasn't sure if using the Malkoff device would change anything and make the recommended batteries in that scenario not as good.

Also, my battery charger is a cheapo Harbor Freight one, is that okay or will I get much better performance out of a more expensive one?

Thanks

Nubo

Enlightened
I'm very happy with the Accupower cells, but since you plan on using the light daily, you probably don't need to pay the premium for limited self-discharge chemistry.

I've had good results in the past with Titanium cells. HAven't used their D's , but AAA, AA, and C's have been good. I wouldn't hesitate to try their D12000's

note: some chargers won't fully charge a 12AH battery. Not the end of the world, but can be a hassle.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I am planning on using a 2 and/or 3 D cell maglite with a Malkoff device for about an hour or so every night for work. What would you guys recommend as far as rechargeable batteries go? I found this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204321&highlight=maglite+rechargeable+batteries

but wasn't sure if using the Malkoff device would change anything and make the recommended batteries in that scenario not as good.

Also, my battery charger is a cheapo Harbor Freight one, is that okay or will I get much better performance out of a more expensive one?

Thanks
The Malkoff should make no difference. As for batteries, I agree that if you are actually using the light every night you probably won't benefit from LSD batts; they are the best for sitting on the shelf unused for months, which isn't how you want to use them.

I don't know about your charger specifically, but you may want to research the brand/model or look at your manual for specs. Many, many cheapo chargers are simply pumping in on a timer rather than actually measuring where the battery is at for termination of charge. So on a timer, you may easily overcharge or undercharge... possibly by a lot. That could shorten the life of your batteries... possibly by a lot!

You would definitely want to have a smart charger. If yours is not, read some of the threads here on chargers... there are plenty. Here is a good thread to start you out:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177074

I just ordered a new charger myself, the Maha Powerex MH-C9000, because it does so much more than just charge the batteries. But it's for AA and AAA sizes only (although I'll rig mine up with some leads for the occasional D). For charging D batts regularly, I would suggest you look closely at the:
Accupower Accumanager 20 ($49 at Thomas Distributing)
Maha C808M ($88 at same)
Titanium MD-3000 (under $40 after discount at Battery Junction)
There are other good ones, but that will give you a start. :grin2:

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, Santa Wife (or is that Wifey Claus?) just brought me a C808M. :grin2: I'm loving it so far. I'm going to be using it on D-cells for my Malkoff, so I'm glad it has a decent sized power supply (i.e., it should be able to charge them in a couple of hours instead of taking all day).