Best EDC on a cruise ship?

Jroddz

Newly Enlightened
2) Moonlight, 0.2 lumens, enough light with night-adjusted eyes to do most anything you need ~300-500 hours from a single AA. OK, except for the worst apocalyptic scenario, no one is ever going to need to run a single batt. 300 hours on moonlight. However, how much battery capacity do you think you will have when the SHTF - 50% on average? Then, how much additional capacity do you think you'll burn because moonlight may not be quite enough - 25% maybe? So if you've got 25% left to use where moonlight is enough, that 75 hours+ of light... what's that worth?

If you are stuck on a cruise ship for 300 hours, you've got other things to worry about than having moonlight mode. That's 12.5 days. I'd say after a few days you are fish food anyhow.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are stuck on a cruise ship for 300 hours, you've got other things to worry about than having moonlight mode. That's 12.5 days. I'd say after a few days you are fish food anyhow.

You'd think people would actually read into the quote they've just copied over? Here, I'll make it easier for ya. :shakehead

2) ......OK, except for the worst apocalyptic scenario, no one is ever going to need to run a single batt. 300 hours on moonlight. However......

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
I was perfectly happy with my SA2 on the past 4 cruises, but i had 2 spare cells. Currently running with an RRT-0, and will likely carry two spare NiMH, and two Li-Ions.

*edit*
forgot to mention I'm hoping to pickup a zebralight, either a SC80c, SC51c or H502 if they come out with a C model >_>

I want something with a super long runtime that can also go super low...

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wife and I were watching the Discovery Channel special on the concordia. When they mentioned that the life boat was pitch dark, she yelled out "That's what flashlights are for" mwhaha exccccellent, she has become my apprentice of the 'Light' side.

puns aside, Any flashlight is better than NO light at all. I EDC my SWM V10R Ti with AA extender. so i can dial in what ever output I want and in a pinch I can use a AA.

JulianP

Enlightened
I am still learning from this thread. It's not an unreasonable topic, as another cruise ship gets into trouble. The Costa Allegra has been without power for three days, and that must have been a lot of fun (not) for the passengers. 72 hours of light needed, so the moonbeam mode or lots of spare batteries become mandatory. You might say three days does not equal to 72 hours of darkness, but on a ship it does. In the middle of the day all stairwells, toilets and cabins will be in darkness .

BTW @Buckley, I've just ordered a pair of TriSquare eXRS TSX300 radios. Thank you for the tip.
:wave:

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one time it would make sense to have a light with that stupid SOS mode. But maybe one with a real SOS and not the Chinese SOSOSOSOSOSOS.

Xacto

Enlightened
I am still learning from this thread. It's not an unreasonable topic, as another cruise ship gets into trouble. The Costa Allegra has been without power for three days, and that must have been a lot of fun (not) for the passengers. 72 hours of light needed, [...]:wave:

I read somewhere that they got 400 flashlights (surely some cheap coincell light).... have one flashaholic on board and you just need approx. 200 lights. ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I used to work on cruise ships years ago (as a musician). Really, all you need is something small, that you can have on you at all times. This was even recommended to us. As has been stated, the main issue is a possible power outtage. It happens more often than you may think. If you are in an interior space (ie no windows), it is pitch black. Modern ships now have emergency level lighting, but it doesn't always kick in right away... As far as what is best if you are in the water... The life jackets all have lights on them that are water activated. And again, if there is an emergency, what would be most useful to you is what is already in your pocket... Nobody is getting on a life boat with a SR90...

BTW, the life jackets have whistles too...

Last edited: