Best EDC size

Hoya

Newly Enlightened
How large can you accept your EDC light to be? A2 is not too big for me. Sometimes I swap L2 as EDC too.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire L2 has displaced my folder clipped to my right front pocket in casual wear. As some have noted, the L2's length can be an asset in this carry position -- keeps the light in place. My A2 in the same position can be uncomfortable when I sit down.

For work (I'm an engineer) EDC is a Photon or Inova button cell light. Not much room in the setting of client/government meetings, etc. However, I do carry the L2 when I go to a job site.

Scott

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That depends on what I am wearing, if it is in the autumn/winter with big coats, then I can carry a big light (a Stinger fits easily in my coat pockets). If I have to have it in my pants, then 3" x 0.75" is the biggest I want to go.

Sigbjoern

sithjedi333

Enlightened
For a true EDC, I would go with something that can go on your keychain. The largest size I can handle there is the Fire~Fly II, which I am a big fan of.

I am thinking of getting a larger 1 cell light to supplement that, like an HDS light.

I can carry a 2 cell light, but find it a bit large, so I would only do that occasionally. When I need one I go to my Aleph, which I put in my pocket or on my belt with the belt tab attachment.

scudinc

Enlightened
An FB1 with a KL1 (>3 inches) is my current EDC, but it seems a little large. I'd like to get a Pierce M10 (2.6 inches) when the new body style comes out.

mateen

Enlightened
I agree that keychain size is best for a true EDC. I do carry a larger light but I get to wear casual pants in my office. I also carry a two-cell light in my pack. For EDC, though, you will carry it much more than you will use it, so smaller is better.

DimBeam

Enlightened
I always ECD 2 lights if I am wearing jeans. One on my keychain, a Sonic, and one loose in my front pocket which usually is the Q3. Since I am currently unemployed(help!! anyone hiring?) jeans are worn most days except for that rare interview when I will just carry the Sonic.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to carry an ARC LSH-P with twisty tailcap for EDC. Anything much bigger than that is too big for me to carry around daily. After ARC went belly-up, I sold most of my ARC's and replaced the LSH with a Surefire E1L. It is a little bigger, but not much. I use my E1L for when I need a spot for illumination of objects that aren't very close, and still carry an ARC AAA for close up flood use.

-Keith

The_virus

Enlightened
In my usual casual wear of choice I EDC a Streamlight JR Luxeon and before that it was a Princeton Tec Impact II...before that it was a 2AA MiniMag.

I'm a fan of belt holsters and a 2AA or a comparably sized light is good for me. When I go to work and I have to dress a little more businesslike...a belt holster is just inappropriate so I go with something like my Gerber Infinity Ultra, Inova X1 (which has a tiny belt holster I could probably get away with), or Dorcy 1AAA LED. Basically one-celled lights either using AA or AAA.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
My trusty Arc AAA is about the biggest I'd go for keychain EDC. One of those Jil CR2 lights might work but I'd want to take some other things off my keychain first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for true EDC I usually have a CNC-123 (3.4"x1") in my back pocket riding vertically next to my wallet. I never even know it's there. I've tried 2x123 lights but the extra length makes the light more noticeable.

Jon

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, ease of deployment is more of a factor than size. I have an Arc AAA on my keychain, but its a pain to dig it out of my pocket. Its mostly there as a back-up, but never gets used. And much of my light usage is during the daylight hours, and a little more punch is needed (e.g., I just used my HDS to look for Allegra in the bathroom closet). So I like an open top belt holster that allows me to grab a light in a nanosecond. I EDC everything from an HDS to an L4 or a Aleph 3 2x123.

best regards

StanTeate

Enlightened
I like my FireFly, a LOT, and the CR2 version with aluminum head is even more pocketable, and relfector gives good throw for its size.. These days I am carrying a LionHeart on the belt which replaces everything up to a SpaceNeedle 2, has variable light output and modes, and uses rechargables. Before LH was a VIP

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Same here, I too have a modded Lux III head with ARC AAA body on my keychain, but it is too much of a pain to dig it out for use. And as for my true EDC, I used to carry E2D a lot, but now I am mostly carrying a modded HA3 Minimag.

Glenn

Enlightened
I EDC an ARC 4 with the 2 cell extender at home.
Clipped inside my front pocket it stays put better with the two cells than the one cell and I hardly know it is there until I need it.
Plus the 2 cell gives GREAT battery life on used cells from other lights.

When going away from the house I carry a normal ARC 4 loose in my front pocket.
(I would hate to loose the one with the 2 cell extension).
I also carry a Q3 in my coat pocket if I wear a coat.

I also EDC (everywhere) a Lux Solitaire mod by tonyb for a close up even floodlight.

Glenn

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
My true EDC is the Sonic on my keychain, but I have no problems with wearing my L2 when desired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
Although mostly an upclose light, the Photon Freedom gets my vote. I don't use the "flashing" modes much but the variable brightness is great. I purchased one for my Dad and had to force him to start carrying it, now we won't leave without it and can't believe he got along without one for so long. With the new model out, 2X brightness, I got to retire mine and upgrade.