Best high capacity 18650?

agr

Newly Enlightened
what's the best 18650 for flashlight?

hi
i have 7x cree l2 flashlight, using "trust"fire 3000mah batteries but the output is pretty weak
the seller of the flashlight told me i should get batteries with low internal resistance. is there anything else important?
actually i prefer not to start comparing and reading the tech terms, and to get recommendation for the best 18650 at price up to 10$ per one, with decent capacity of at least 2000mah that will get the max output of the flashlight. i know that probably there is no "best" but would like to get a recommendation for a very good battery that will output the max lumens of the flashlight. samsung 20R? 25R? sony VTC5? other battery?
i appreciate any help
thanks

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Re: what's the best 18650 for flashlight?

hi
i have 7x cree l2 flashlight, using "trust"fire 3000mah batteries but the output is pretty weak
the seller of the flashlight told me i should get batteries with low internal resistance. is there anything else important?
actually i prefer not to start comparing and reading the tech terms, and to get recommendation for the best 18650 at price up to 10$ per one, with decent capacity of at least 2000mah that will get the max output of the flashlight. i know that probably there is no "best" but would like to get a recommendation for a very good battery that will output the max lumens of the flashlight. samsung 20R? 25R? sony VTC5? other battery?
i appreciate any help
thanks
What flashlight? Odds are that no battery will get it to reach its claimed output, since a 7 LED light sold with TrustFire cells probably overstates its output as much or more than TrustFire and UltraFire overstate battery capacity.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Best recommended rechargeable 18650

Any cells that have panasonic A (3100mah)or panasonic B(3400mah) in make a good choice imo, and go with protection to start with. From generic cells(green and black) to branded cells from KeepPower/Xtar/Efest/Eagletac etc etc etc(avoid cells that are ending in fire and 5000 made up mah) .I find some brands expensive for pretty much a different wrap and PCB. Eagtac are expensive but very good cells and also advantage of being a little shorter.

Last cells i have bought have been Efest 3400,i have Xtar,Sanyo,LG,Samsung,Pany generics,Nitecore,KeepPower,Sony, to name some off the top of my head. All been issue free:thumbsup:

If USA, look at going gear or illumination supply or mountain electronics to just name 3 reputable shops.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best recommended rechargeable 18650

...or you can get the latest hard to find Panasonic 18650 technology in the new Orbtronic 3600mah(!!)18650 made in Japan. I have 6 of these and they are by far the longest lasting highest powered 18650's I have ever used. They are expensive and sell out almost instantly so keeping an eye on the Orbtronic website is needed as to when they have them in stock.

Navistar

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for Reliable 18650 Batteries - Any Recommendations?

My vote is for Orbtronic I use them and charge them daily at work and I'm very impressed. No need to pay the premium for the latest greatest 3600 just buy the 3400, you won't regret it. I replaced all my ultrafire cells so at this point I have 8 of them and zero failures.👍

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somebody mentioned here on CPF that the Panasonic 3600mAh may be replaced soon by a Panasonic 3900mAh 18650. Has anyone seen confirmation of this?

NeilP

Enlightened

What sort of continuous C rate do cells such as this have?

My lithium battery experience up to now has been solely with LiPo cells where a 15C rate is considered low.
I seem to remember reading typical figures for these Li Ion only being about 2 C..

Just wonder if these new cells are liable to be any better than that?

Buck

Newly Enlightened

deleted to start new thread

Last edited:

joker_likes_flashlights

Newly Enlightened
Default Re: Looking for Reliable 18650 Batteries - Any Recommendations?

Are there certain 18650 batteries that create brighter light?

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Default Re: Looking for Reliable 18650 Batteries - Any Recommendations?

Hello Joker likes flashlights,

Welcome to CPF.

No.

Tom

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somebody mentioned here on CPF that the Panasonic 3600mAh may be replaced soon by a Panasonic 3900mAh 18650. Has anyone seen confirmation of this?

I haven't. And frankly, the 3600 mAh cells have been in very short supply already...so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next version. Even if they are in the pipeline, who knows when you'll be able to actually buy and use them?

incd

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys, need your advice.

I want to buy 3400mAH with button top, which one between these i should choose, keeppower, olight, or soshine.

All price almost the same, is about us$ 29.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want to buy 3400mAH with button top, which one between these i should choose, keeppower, olight, or soshine.

All price almost the same, is about us$ 29.

If they are really the same price, I'd take the Keeppowers. They have the longest track record, and Keeppower cells often have lower internal resistance than others. That said, they are all based on the same high quality Japanese cell, so you really cannot go wrong. No need to obsess over the decision.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

If they are really the same price, I'd take the Keeppowers. They have the longest track record, and Keeppower cells often have lower internal resistance than others. That said, they are all based on the same high quality Japanese cell, so you really cannot go wrong. No need to obsess over the decision.
While that is generally true, some cells are longer than others. For example, my Olight 3400's do not really fit in my G25C2-II; they're slightly too long. EagleTac 3400's (unsurprisingly) fit perfectly, because they're shorter.
So it can depend on the light.

incd

Newly Enlightened

While that is generally true, some cells are longer than others. For example, my Olight 3400's do not really fit in my G25C2-II; they're slightly too long. EagleTac 3400's (unsurprisingly) fit perfectly, because they're shorter.
So it can depend on the light.

The light is able to take long battery, but the charger, i don't know.

I have old nitecore i2 2012, i don't know if it can handle long battery.

I hope someone here could give info about this.

Last edited:

ClemsonSCJ

Newly Enlightened
How to make sure your 18650 is a good battery?

Hey guys I'm new to this particular forum but not forums in general, so I would like to preface this by saying that I tried looking around and have been by this forum for quite a while for this and that information. So I've tried finding the answer to this question by searching around but couldn't find anything.

I for for the local Sheriff's Office so when we're on night shifts I use flashlights quite regularly, so it's something I've invested a bit into to make sure I have good stuff. I have 4 flashlights that I keep with me while I'm on duty. First is my Maglite LED which I carry when I'm dealing with people at night, that way I've got something that I can defend myself with that's already in my hand, plus it's an awesome spot light for long distances. Next is my Streamlight Protac HL. I use this one for tromping through the woods, since it doesn't throw the beam as far as I thought it would, but it works great in the woods because it puts the beam as far as you would be able to see in the woods anyways. In my vest I have a 5.11 TMT L2 that I got for free with some pants I ordered, but it's quite bright and just a great all around flashlight. I use it for general purposes or in situations I'm afraid it might get dropped or lost since I don't have anything in it. Last is my house clearing light. It's a Coast light but I can't remember the model. But it's got the adjustable head on it, so it expands the beam to almost completely light up an entire room if I'm standing in the doorway.

Anyways, the Streamlight and the 5.11 light both take 2 of the CR123 batteries so but they're getting to be quite expensive as much as I use them. So I was told that the 18650 will replace both of them. But how do you know if the 18650 battery you're buying is a good quality battery? Where is the best place online to buy this type of battery? My local Batteries Plus sells them, but not the charger, so I'd just rather order from somewhere that sells the charger with it.

frascati

Newly Enlightened
Default Re: Looking for Reliable 18650 Batteries - Any Recommendations?

Hello, please indulge a newcomer's question that 'cuts to the chase'. I've had a Trustfire TR-3T6 in my desk drawer for six months that I bought on impuse since it was dirt damn cheap... cheaper than ordering the three Cree cells within separately. But I never got around to ordering the 18650 cells and charger to go with it.

Would someone please offer a quick suggestion as to best value 18650 cells, six of them at least per order, with charger, for this flashlight.

Ultrafire 18650 3.7v 400mah li-ion seem ubiquitous on ebay but are not highly regarded here it seems.
I'd like to keep the price somewhat within the 25 dollars that the flashlight itself cost if possible.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

coctailer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Default Re: Looking for Reliable 18650 Batteries - Any Recommendations?

How are the Olight 18650 cells for quality?

Is there a thread that reviews all available cells by brand name? I've seen some in the past, but they are always omitting the brands that I am looking at.