Best LED thrower period?

camaro09

Enlightened
HUH, has anybody else heard bout these sunlite eagle lights. They look pretty cool. Just myself have never heard the name before. Anybody else know build quality or beam quality or throw?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I only have had their 65 lumen and 100 lumen pen lights. I'm more impressed with their technology than anything else. They are on the pricey side though....:broke: If this 8w doesn't meet my expectations, then I'm sure I can return it...I hope.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Gotta say the new Surefire UB2 Invictus will be brightest of the previously metnioned lights look for it in a few months, not yet available but should be about 400 true lumens.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
"Its virtually indestructible multi-die LED generates an astounding 400 lumens of output."

Is this the P7 or the Cree MC-E? Appears Surefire found a way to get one of those LED's to "perfectly focus" This will be a neat light to see.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heliotek HTE-1A is an amazing thrower. Easily throws out to 100 yds, according to the instruction manual it goes out to 350'. I wouldn't doubt it either.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aspheric set ups are cool, but I didn't find myself using mine that often. I really don't care for the beam, and I already have a hard enough time finding wide open distances where my regular throwers (DBS, Spear) can't reach as far as needed. Just driving around here I have a hard time finding a stretch of field that is over 700-800 feet before there is a tree line, and the DBS/Spear does fine at that range. You also get a nice round beam with usable spill.
I'd recommend the Dereelight DBS V2. While a lot of the throwers are close in real world use, I find the DBS the easiest to upgrade, reconfigure, and carry. I can just put it in my jeans pocket and it has a great clip to hold it in place. I don't find the Spear nearly as comfortable. The Tiablo A10 looks bigger and bulkier, but I haven't handle one yet. There continues to be upgrades for the DBS, R2 pills, MC-E Pills (not for throw) and hopefully in the future there will be continued upgrades available.

I'd recommend the DBS V2, get set up with some quality 18650 batteries (at least one) and a charger (recommend AW brand available on cpfmp in the dealers section), and get a digital pill like the 3SD, 2SD, 1SD, etc that drives the Q5 or R2 Cree at 1.2A. Enjoy the light until an even better pill is available in the future.

I second that opinion. The aspherics are toys (my subjective opinion) and the DBS V2 is really good at throwing light, and it has an economical solution for upgrades/modularity, with a working supply of upgrades from Dereelight. It also takes a lot of other modules (P60/D26) available in a number of venues.

It's this easy to upgrade to higher output:
[URL]https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190499[/URL]

/Stefan

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read what you said, but I still have to answer your first question: it really is the DEFT my a mile.

There are several other aspheric mods or flashlights, some of which outthrow any light using a reflector.

Out of the flashlights using a reflector, despite the recent competition, I think the DBS is still king. The old lineup (MRV, A8, A9, Spear) fell short. The Regalight EDC surpassed it at 1m but spread out more over distance. The A10 hasn't really seen testing yet, but the shots I've seen put it about equal to the DBS, while the flashlight is significantly larger.

I own a DBS v2 1S R2, the configuration I would recommend. Although the beam is ugly at close range, it sure does have "just raw beautiful throw" :)

mesa232323

Enlightened
I will be getting the 2200mAh 8w from them, so I'll let you guys know how it is. I think it will have to be after Christmas though....

I'm kind of glad someone else mentioned the Sunlite lights. They are not a well known company, but put out a high quality product. And their customer service is great.:thumbsup:
AWSOME! You wont be dissapointed.

mesa232323

Enlightened
HUH, has anybody else heard bout these sunlite eagle lights. They look pretty cool. Just myself have never heard the name before. Anybody else know build quality or beam quality or throw?
Snap-on was the only company that was allowed to sell them for a while and anybody who is a mechanic or knows about tools knows that Snap-on only sells top notch tools.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Gotta say the new Surefire UB2 Invictus will be brightest of the previously metnioned lights look for it in a few months, not yet available but should be about 400 true lumens.

Wrong,400 Surefire lumens which is probably IMO closer to 550 lumens.
The light probably puts out 400 lumens on well used batteries. DAMN! I can't wait.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying, just wondering if this inexpensive Dorcy 220 lu flashlight is even in the competition. It appears to have a reflector that has the exact dimensions of a DBS reported to be Diameter 44.7mm Depth 48.4.mm.

camaro09

Enlightened
Would anyone be able to compare the throw distance or brightness of the mentioned lights above like the dereelight DBS, Olight M20, or the Jetbeam IBS etc. to the Streamlight Super Tac? Im curious because I have the Streamlight and want to upgrade greatly, but keep about the same size.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying, just wondering if this inexpensive Dorcy 220 lu flashlight is even in the competition. It appears to have a reflector that has the exact dimensions of a DBS reported to be Diameter 44.7mm Depth 48.4.mm.
It is not just about reflector depth,other factors have to be taken into consideration i.e power to the led,lens qaulity and of coarse how well the reflector is made.;)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not just about reflector depth,other factors have to be taken into consideration i.e power to the led,lens qaulity and of coarse how well the reflector is made.;)

I know. My last comment in the thread link addresses that. Just didn't want to take this thread too far off topic. We probably won't really know unless there is an accurate beam shot comparison. The Dorcy is only $40.00 at Amazon but not nearly the quality construction of the lights being discussed here. If there's a buget super thrower out there some folks might like to know about it. I prefer having a few high end lights over many low end lights. This one got my attention so I bought it. The beam looks similar to the DBS shots I've seen posted. Intensity? I don't know. I was getting image return at 100yds so I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder." Probably not. Just wondering.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I'm finding: the longer I'm here, the more I sound like the "old men" on the board... in that I'm less and less interested in the "brightest" and the "best throwing" lights... This used to be my favorite thing to think about! But now, I hear the echoes of the old men in my own mind saying things like "get a $5 laser pointer if throw is what you want!"... and it's sort of true. Looking at lights such as the Sun Drop from McGizmo at only 40 lumens and with its floody beam, one quickly sees that throw and power are far from everything...

Anyway, for the OP, I agree that the DBS is the king of what you seek--and it seems to be a great all round light so you are going to get something very much worth having and something usable. The problem with something like an aspheric and even the DEFT (which is amazing in its own right, of course), is that it is more of an achievement than a functional tool. You are throwing this tiny image of an LED hundreds and hundreds of feet in a laser-like fashion; how this is useful to so many is not clear to me unless you are spotting your cattle from atop a hill... That's not to say that I do not appreciate the inherent beauty in this endeavor, only to say that I think folks need to be clear in what they are looking for and why. :grin2:

camaro09

Enlightened
I totally agree with you that throw and brightness are not everything. But that is what im looking for in this particular light. I carry a novatac 120t and would like a thrower to go past where the NT leaves off in distance.

camaro09

Enlightened
Would anyone be able to give me any links where i could find the best aspheric lens for a 3D mag and maybe a bezel to protect it. It would be much appreciated.