Best or worst way you killed or lost a light?

nbp

Flashaholic
Working in a rail yard moving cars around, my McGizmo Mule slipped off my belt and I didn't have it tethered to me. Still hoping to find it in the spring. Wishful thinking. Learned a lesson that day!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

This is the saddest story. :(

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 19 month old daughter has recently got her hands on my thrunite tn12 I left on my nightstand. She then must have thrown it in the garbage. That night I took the garbage out and the cans to the curb. After two days of looking I realized what happened. Gone forever. Cans have kid proof lids now.
I feel really bad for you :( I wonder if that's a common cause of people finding good things in the garbage and thinking "why would someone throw THIS away?"
I guess in the future if I have kids, I need to be careful where any shiny objects are and put kid proof locks on the bins....

I used to wear a photon freedom around my neck at my previous job. It was extremely useful for peering around computers in dark areas (I will admit, at times I didn't have a bigger light in my pocket as I often left it on the desk in my office which was very dumb!). One day when I got home from work, the light was missing. It had popped off the clip on the necklace. I never found it, and I had carried that light with me for years :(

I'm worried about that happening again so now a criteria for a pocket carry EDC light is a very strong pocket clip and/or deep carry. I hope I never lose my olight S10R...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very first first generation LED light (also had a Xenon bulb); I had decided to get the matching headlamp and, when I got up that morning, that flashlight was absolutely impossible to find. Convinced it was lost forever, I bought both the headlamp and a new flashlight. When I got home, I was in a cleaning mode and there was something rather hard and heavy in the bedroom trash bag; found my light. I just knew it had to be on the night stand...

Only light I remember ever breaking was a Dorcy: day2, I dropped it on the carpet and an inductor came off the board. I returned it and got my money back.

[EDIT]: I forgot about my limited edition Mr. Elfin neutral... it just disappeared. I remembered last time I saw it was when I put it in my pack to go visit my father and I have no memory of taking it out of the pack. I checked all jackets, packs, pants and possible locations, but never found it. It was one my top 3 favorites. I was fortunate enough that the distributor who ordered the batch still had ONE in natural (I originally bought it in tan.) It's not as nice to look at, but it does the exact same job. I definitely wouldn't mind finding the original one and being stuck with 2 Mr. Elfin's, though...

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a petco shelf. No way whatever ***** found it will appreciate it.

Not a light, but some ***** stole a case of sf cr123a's from my old apartment's office, before they were ever transferred to my possession. Luckily, after sf's investigatin, even though ups determined they were " successfully" delivered, after much fighting sf had my back, ate the loss, & re shipped. I bet the thief had ZERO devices they worked in. Probably fleabayed or rapelisted them for pennies on the dollar.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a fleamarket with my (now ex-) gf of Philippino descent, ran into a relatively cheap but good looking combo of 1x 18650 zoomie, Li-ion cell, and charger. All in a nice gift box. After some back & forth, she bought it, and a while later it was sent to her relatives in the Philippines.

About a year later, I heard one of her relatives lost the light when crossing a river. Apparently he was carrying his wife, waters were unexpectedly strong, and light was dropped in order to hold onto his significant other.

Too bad for the light (from what I heard, her family used/enjoyed it a lot), but I thought it was a good story. From friends back at home, I remember some remarks along the lines of "should've dropped his wife instead"... :D

LGT

Enlightened
I lost an Armytek barracuda v2, zebralight SC600 MKII, and a ZL H52w AA headlamp all in one fell swoop.
I carried them in a small tote bag while at work for an electric co. A co-worker recieved a call for a downed wire, was going out to lend an assist if necessary. Placed the tote on the rear of the bucket truck, took out and strapped my H600 MK2 to my hardhat and put it in my till hopped in the cab and drove off. The bag didn't make the trip. Got back to the shop and started to look for my bag. The more it dawned on me that it wasn't there, the faster my heart raced, and head spun. It wasn't just the lights. I also had a total of six 18650 batteries, three enloop pro aaa, a garmin, and a casio solar atomic time watch in the bag. There was also identification as to where I work, so it could have been returned if found by an honest person.
Trying my hardest to keep positive thoughts and not wish ill will towards whoever found it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Working in a rail yard moving cars around, my McGizmo Mule slipped off my belt and I didn't have it tethered to me. Still hoping to find it in the spring. Wishful thinking. Learned a lesson that day!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Wonder if it got found.....
And if so, did it still work.

Oops Edit: page hadn't finished loading.
Happy endings are cool!

Add story edit:
Only one I killed was a cell phone I used as a flashlight. A metal Sony Ericson that was extremely tough.

It had a great flashlight!!! The screen. It was super bright and adjusted up n down with the volume buttons. Me & the ex had just split up so my possesions were few. That phone was my only flashlight.

It was a phone tied to an at&t company that was local to my area. I moved from there and it still worked without roaming. Still had the local provider logo on the screen and everything. This was around 01/02.

Work was slack so I moved to where the work was.

I was living 500 miles from home and used it often to stay in touch. One day I got a bill from the local company for $1200. Seems I was roaming the whole time.

I drove 500 miles to discuss with an agent who put me in touch with an 800 number. That person was rude, rude, rude.

Well at that point I commenced to running over my flashlight phone. Outside of the phone store in a shopping mall parking lot. Run over, back up, repeat. Nary a scratch.

People in the parking lot were perplexed but a few were cheering me on. lol.
Next was to spike it. When my arm grew sore I gave up on that. The phone was still intact.
Next was wall throw.

By then I'd switched arms. After a few throws the casing finaly began to become damaged.
I wanted that stupid screen to smash but it didn't. I wanted that Suncom logo gone!!!!
So I held a bic lighter to it...Nada. Glass. Ugh!!

By then I was worn out and the small crowd that had gathered had dispersed.
A policeman pulls up and asks what I was doing. I told him the story. He gets out his car, opens his trunk and hands me a ball peen hammer. lol.
A few good whacks with that to the screen and it was toast. But the dam thing was still lit.

I thanked him, he drove off and that was that.
I was near a Wal Mart. So I tossed the phone in a nearby drainage pond, went in the store and bought me a flashlight that I just restored a couple of weeks ago.

I drove 500 miles back to my new home thinking that sure was a nice phone.

I didn't have another cell phone for years after that.
I finally went in with my (2nd) wife on a contract she agreed to pay for. We bought a pair of LG flip phones (again for the bright screen, flashlight thing)...

When I walked out the store I tossed my new phone in the air as high as I could and when it landed on the pavement on a corner it flew into peices that I reassembled easily.
Note: I was prepared to go back in the store and buy another one if it shattered.

She says "wth did you do that for?" I told her the Sony story and indicated if worse comes to worse I now have the satisfaction that my new phone will at least give me the satisfaction of breaking apart if I ever want it to.

Oh, I ended up paying Suncom my normal $65 bill. They kept sending me bills saying we'll settle for half...one night I called their 1-800 number and a rep agreed to toss out all those charges if I'd agree to pay the normal bill.

Last edited:

Sun Boy

Newly Enlightened
Lost my Mag Light off the front of my bike late at night...never to be seen again. Getting home in the dark was not fun.

Fleetwood

Newly Enlightened
I went sledging in the snow and had the idea to tape a cheap, small incandescent torch to the front of the sledge so that I'd be the only kid with a "headlight" - how cool for when it got a bit dark...

When it was time to turn it on, it was already broke. Maybe the vibration, cold and wetness was no good for it...

Convinced parents to buy me another. They WERE cheap, so I got my wish. My second lasted about ten minutes.

Kids today would fare much better with the cheap, shock resistant, waterproof, budget LEDs of today.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 4D Maglite in carry-on and confiscated by airport security. I did not give it to them, instead gave it to a random person in the terminal.

it was an older mag with the Nite-Ize module.

Prepped

Enlightened
I lost my Surefire E1L Outdoorsman at last year Marine Corps ball (Yes, I'd probably had a bit too much to drink)
I was heartbroken as it had gone everywhere with me during my time in the Corps, so naturally I whined to my friends. Miraculously, it turned up in another Marines gear about six months later. I remained skeptical of his story, and suspected he had a sudden change of heart and his conscience got the best of him, but I was so happy to get it back.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well you have some folks who say "anybody lose a wallet?", and you have others who say "holy cow, I found a wallet"...
Hopefully it wasn't a pick-pocket thing...

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
Well you have some folks who say "anybody lose a wallet?", and you have others who say "holy cow, I found a wallet"...
Hopefully it wasn't a pick-pocket thing...

In all likelihood, I left it laying around. There's a saying in the Corps - "Gear adrift is a gift', which basically means, don't leave your crap laying around or it's fair game.

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Ouch! This one still hurts to talk about. But...

While riding a city bus one evening I removed my newest (at that time) ZebraLight SC600 Mk II L2 from it's pinkie lanyard (see pic below)..
3_zps9lhpix7w.jpg

...and set it on the seat next to me. I can't even remember why I removed it from my hand? But I did, and the rest, as they say, is history.

When the bus came to my stop I exited and my hand instinctively went to the cargo pocket of my shorts expecting to grasp my flashlight. Instead, what I grasped was the horror of realizing that my 3 week old Mk II L2 was left on the seat of a bus that was now accelerating rapidly away from me. I can still feel that sense of emptiness and stupidity that swallowed me like the darkness of the night that I was now unable to illuminate. I stood there feeling so deflated and helpless as I watched the taillights of that bus disappear into the distance. It was gone. Long gone!

In that moment I knew that there could be only one way to overcome this tragedy. And that, of course, would be to immediately go home and order another SC600 Mk II L2 from the folks at Zebralight. Another new light would be the only way to make the pain of my stupidity go away. That's precisely what I did just as soon as got home. This time, however, instead of the cool white version I ordered the warm (neutral) tint.

Thankfully, I still have that replacement (w)Mk II L2 in addition to my original SC600 and yet another new ZebraLight...the newest SC600 Mk III in cool white. The moral of the story: Slow and steady wins the race every time! Whoops! Wrong story...sorry! I meant, never leave your light on the seat of a city bus unless you're prepared to buy a new one and feel like an idiot for a week or two while you're waiting for the new light to arrive and stop the bleeding. Yeah, that's what I meant...that is the moral of this story ~ Don't throw $100 bills out the window of a city bus! :D

Benny Boy

Newly Enlightened
Dropped my MagLite 3D in a puddle of sulfuric acid, later in the day I reliezed I'd lost it. I went back to that area of the plant, only to find half a flashlight bubbling away. I just left it there, and the next day there was nothing left.

ddwilson

Newly Enlightened
forgot to check the batteries in the 2d maglite that sets in the top of my tool box at work for a while they leakedand got stuck in the tube. Tried baking soda and water, coke, auto battery cleaner finally managed to get them out but switch was damaged and enough corosion inside to keep it from ever workong again.

Latest posts