Best or worst way you killed or lost a light?

56FordGuy

Newly Enlightened
Dropped a 3D Maglite into a porta potty once. Didn't even think about trying to save it.

It was kind of funny watching people react walking by the glowing portable toilet for a few hours though, the light worked until I assume the batteries died. Maybe the guy who pumped it out got a nice surprise. :lol:

Burgess

Flashaholic
^ ^ ^ :lolsign:

Sorry for your Loss.

But I certainly enjoyed your Story here !

lovecpf
_

Welfare

Newly Enlightened
G2ZL. My 8 year old daughter "borrowed it" from the car whilst I was away, it has never been seen since . The thought that she will be looking after me in my old age is payback :)

jlennosh

Newly Enlightened
I had a 5.11 TMT A2 I used for EDC one day I could not find it. I knew it was in my truck somewhere and looked hard over dsys. I found it long time kater wedged in the seat springs, batteries corroded. I had to use tools to open it. I tried but could not save it.

nimdabew

Enlightened
Bought a Thrunite Ti3 for my keychain. I put a battery in it, and thought, "I need to put a lanyard on this before I lose it." Promptly lost it. I turned it on a total of one time.

Cleck

Newly Enlightened
Stinger LED - either lost by a family member or stolen by a neighbor. Still upset. Such a BA light.

k2-_65252f81-18e7-4e33-b467-5a6eac75d0e5.v1.jpg

Left one of these under a Jeep Cherokee that I replaced an oil pressure switch on. Base is magnetic, so yeah. Probably stayed under it for quite a while.

fieldvilleiowa

Newly Enlightened
I had a nitecore tube in my pocket with my keys and some change. One roller-coaster later I only had keys left in my pocket... At least I was still able to get home, even if I couldn't see where i was going that night.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My greatest loss was a Lummi Wee Ti. I'd just lost it in the street outside my parents' house and despite an extensive search, I couldn't find it. At the time, I didn't have a lot of spare money, so I opted for a Wee SS instead. I really wish I had found a way to stump up the extra for a replacement Wee Ti because you cannot get them anymore after Rob went AWOL with our money (and an XM-L light engine of mine) :(

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've lost many to alka-leaks until I swore off them. Dropped many into places that were not recoverable from...such as oceans, lakes, rivers, fires, swamps, concrete block walls, etc.

I've forgotten after modding which lights/lasers needed which polarity, and reversed them, as well as using hi amp IMR's where the LED can't take it and fried.

I have put them down on the job and forgot to pick them back up...often....until I started using mostly pocket sized lights.

I sometimes have people find them and get them back to me, for those I leave at sites for example...

One of the dumbest losses was a Lambda that I was doing beam shots with along with dozens of other lights, and, the next day, saw it was missing...went back to the test site, couldn't find it in daylight, and figured I'd screwed the pooch on that one.

About a year later, I found it. It had simply slipped into a side pocket instead of the main compartment of the bag I had the lights in, and, I didn't notice until I was using the bag again, and it was a little heavier when empty than expected.

It was like xmas.

:D

Cleck

Newly Enlightened
Finding it is such a relief, isn't it? The euphoria that came over me when the wife texted me what she found was pretty awesome. Glad you got yours back too.

Poppy

Flashaholic
good one TEEJ :)

Yesterday, I discovered that I lost my dad's key to his car. One of those electronic FOBs that'll cost a small fortune to replace. Well, after calling my ride to the airport, the airport lost and found, and the CNBC News stand where I made a purchase, and filing a lost report online with the airlines, I found it in a pocket of my suitcase. That was a kind-of grunt, and celebration in one breath.

My dad gifted me a pair of minimags with alkalines that were so corroded they became a part of the lights. After soaking in vinegar, and then WD-40, I proceeded to drilling and using a punch. I destroyed the switch in the first one, because I ended up using a 3lb ball ping hammer on it. I proceeded from light taps, to COME out you mother!!!

So the best way I destroyed a flashlight was by using a grinding wheel to surgically remove the switch from the second one, so that I could gift it to a CPF friend who needed a switch.

Unexpectedly, I received a 2AA Rayovac Indestructible in return mail.

Two days ago, despite living 4 states apart, we got together for lunch. Who'd have thought?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad gifted me a pair of minimags with alkalines that were so corroded they became a part of the lights. After soaking in vinegar, and then WD-40, I proceeded to drilling and using a punch. I destroyed the switch in the first one, because I ended up using a 3lb ball ping hammer on it. I proceeded from light taps, to COME out you mother!!!

So the best way I destroyed a flashlight was by using a grinding wheel to surgically remove the switch from the second one, so that I could gift it to a CPF friend who needed a switch.

Unexpectedly, I received a 2AA Rayovac Indestructible in return mail.

Two days ago, despite living 4 states apart, we got together for lunch. Who'd have thought?

lovecpf

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dremels are cool. Grinders are cool. Busted Mag Lites are cool. CPF members are cool....

Ironically about that same time I recieved a switch and some other parts for my favorite (busted) mini mag from a place several hundred miles north east of me, so I sent an indestructable to the address where said parts were sent from....

Then a few days later got word a cool CPF'r would be passing through my little sleepy town.
Well my work truck was due for some scheduled maintenance and I needed to change out of my jammies at some point...

About an hour later I had the pleasure of meeting a CPF'r I had envisioned to look similar to old Saint Nick, but instead appeared to be a middle aged marathon runner more than Santa Clause.
Shared laughs, memories, ideas and goals while munching on food my doctor says to avoid and being served by a waitress with the biggest eye tooth I'd ever seen...just one...
Maybe she was halfway through an operation to become a vampire and the surgeon died?
I dunno, but she kept the iced tea glasses full.

The CPF'r said something about sunshine and palm trees and was on his way...
I went home and revived a Dorcy flashlights grinning ear to ear.

So instead killing lights lately I've been fortunate to be able to bring 2 back from the dead...

^^ a 90's mini mag

^^ one of my dads Dorcy lights.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Dremels are cool. Grinders are cool. Busted Mag Lites are cool. CPF members are cool....

Ironically about that same time I recieved a switch and some other parts for my favorite (busted) mini mag from a place several hundred miles north east of me, so I sent an indestructable to the address where said parts were sent from....

Then a few days later got word a cool CPF'r would be passing through my little sleepy town.
Well my work truck was due for some scheduled maintenance and I needed to change out of my jammies at some point...

About an hour later I had the pleasure of meeting a CPF'r I had envisioned to look similar to old Saint Nick, but instead appeared to be a middle aged marathon runner more than Santa Clause.
Shared laughs, memories, ideas and goals while munching on food my doctor says to avoid and being served by a waitress with the biggest eye tooth I'd ever seen...just one...
Maybe she was halfway through an operation to become a vampire and the surgeon died?
I dunno, but she kept the iced tea glasses full.

The CPF'r said something about sunshine and palm trees and was on his way...
I went home and revived a Dorcy flashlights grinning ear to ear.

So instead killing lights lately I've been fortunate to be able to bring 2 back from the dead...

^^ a 90's mini mag

^^ one of my dads Dorcy lights.

That's a beauty! :)

I think we are going to have to change your name to LightFyxer!

Now... on Dasher, on Dancer, and Prancer, no vixen

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's a beauty! :)

I think we are going to have to change your name to LightFyxer!

Now... on Dasher, on Dancer, and Prancer, no vixen

Sounds like a plan...afterall the bykfixer moniker came from keeping disposable bicycles from being set out by the trash cans...
lytfixer...kinda has a ring to it.

Local kids would bring them over with busted disposable parts and my wife's boys and I would swap better parts to them to make them last a little longer.

Last edited:

Cleck

Newly Enlightened
That blue Minimag I had pictured....I think it's done now :faint:

Did everything mentioned to try to get it to work - cleaned the threads, tried different batteries, made sure it was grounding, etc. Replaced the stock incan bulb with a few led's I had around the house. Noticed they lit up, but spotty, like a bad connection. Jiggle led, get light. Took off the black bit and saw the contacts the leads sit in looked stretched out and the part that touches the barrel looks tired. Long story short, I need that whole section now. Contacts are junk, lol. Oh well, it was a good experiment, and I'm glad it didn't work before I took it to the lab :)

186kmps

Newly Enlightened
One time when my truck broke down, yet again, I was so angry I grabbed a cheap ( thank God ) led. I couldn't get it to shine were I needed it. So I put it in my mouth ( not smart ). After almost choking, as I was lying on my back, I started to chomp down on it.
After fixing my truck, I noticed that I had made permanent teeth marks on the housing. Maybe not destroyed, but a true and funny story. Now where did I put that headlamp?

mpett1

Newly Enlightened
And the winner is ding ding ding

(Dropped my MagLite 3D in a puddle of sulfuric acid, later in the day I reliezed I'd lost it. I went back to that area of the plant, only to find half a flashlight bubbling away. I just left it there, and the next day there was nothing left.)

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure my 1 year old put one of my Eagletac D25A2s in the trash and I didn't realize it until a few days after I had taken the trash out. I have searched my apartment high and low, been through everything and cannot find it.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at the laundry and I swear I see a flash of light in the washer. It was my KD V6. It rattles and has a moonlight mode now.