Best single AA flashlight?

ggreenjohny

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire backup that i use for work now. i love everything about it except for the batteries. I go through them so fast and my company doesnt pay for them but they will pay for AA batteries. So what light do you think would best replace my surefire?im looking for something with a good amount of output because im in dark tanks a lot.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when you say best, for me that is a combination of efficiency (best run time output per battery), beam pattern & tint, cost and mode spacing.

There are a number of choices out there. Since I've got the Olight i2, Olight T15, Fenix LD15 and EagleTac D25A mini. I'd say the best one I have is the D25A. See my post a few days ago on run times comparing these flashlights.

twicksisted

Newly Enlightened
Check out the JETBeam RRT-0 (550 lumens) or JETBeam PA10 (650 lumens), both run on a single AA and are very good quality

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
I am nowhere near the level of most on this forum, but after having the new sunwayman v10a xm-l, I can't imagine it wouldn't be in the mix for best single aa flashlight.

I think it is great with aa's, but I finally broke down and got some 14500s. I don't think I will go back. I don't think I can go back, lol.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
There probably is no "best" single-AA flashlight, just the one that best fits your needs. The most technically capable overall in terms of output that I'm familiar with would be the ZebraLight SC51 series and the ThruNite Neutron 1A. The SC51 has a side switch (electronic type, like a mouse button), which some people prefer, while the 1A has a tail switch (reverse clicky with no momentary-on, unlike your Surefire Backup). If you prefer the same type of configuration and switch that you're using now (forward clicky tail switch), then the 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical is one good option, although you'll give up some output with it, especially if you're going to use alkaline cells (not recommended but could be workable with the SC51).

Clearly we need more information. For starters, do you have any preferences with regard to switch type and location? Would your employer pop for lithium AA cells, rechargeable AA cells, or just alkalines? And how about the beam pattern? Do you like the one on your E1B, or would you prefer something different (and in what way)? Tint is yet another consideration. Are you happy with cool white, or would you prefer something warmer in tint (i.e. closer to incandescent flashlights)?

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you I'd invest in some rechargeable batteries for your surefire, and just stick with that. You could get a few RCR123 Li-ion rechargeables like "AW" brand RCR123's & a good charger. Keep a few charged & ready each day, and you'd be set. Li-ion batteries have great runtimes. But that suggestion is a little on the boring side because it's always more fun to buy a new light right??

My favorite single AA light by far is what I edc. It's a Quark AA. Now, the quark AA is not that bright on alkaline batteries, but it is very bright if you use a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery. If you do not want to go that route, and just want to stick with alkaline batteries since you can get em for free then I'd recommend a 2 X AA light like the Quark X AA2. It performs great on alkaline batteries producing 280 lumens. It has a nice floody beam with the new XM-L LED in it with great runtimes. There are two UI's to choose from - Tactical or Regular. The Tactical UI has high (head tight) and low (head loose), and you get to program both outputs...very easy. Or, you can get the Regular UI where you cycle through all the settings. Both are great. Check em out.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is like how long is a piece of string.I have a perfectly good £5 AA light and a perfectly good £50 AA light.Both shine the way for me,both aid me in dark places,pay your money and take your pick.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Check out the JETBeam RRT-0 (550 lumens) or JETBeam PA10 (650 lumens), both run on a single AA and are very good quality

Those are fine options, but I doubt that 550/650 lumens is achievable with the usual types of AA cells. Maybe a 14500, but I'm reluctant to recommend lithium-ion rechargeables to anybody but experienced and knowledgeable people in these areas.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I second the suggestion for you to switch to rechargeables.

There are a lot of good options for lights... but my suggestion would be:

Xeno E03 XM-L
Compact, good knurling, pocketable, very floody/broad light output

pobox1475

Enlightened
I'm reluctant to recommend lithium-ion rechargeables to anybody but experienced and knowledgeable people in these areas.
Why is this? With a good (Pila IBC) charger, quality cells, basic multimeter, and a little common sense these products are fine to use. I have been using 14500, RCR123, 17670, & 18650 protected AW cells for a few years with no issue.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are fine options, but I doubt that 550/650 lumens is achievable with the usual types of AA cells. Maybe a 14500, but I'm reluctant to recommend lithium-ion rechargeables to anybody but experienced and knowledgeable people in these areas.

I cannot see your problem in recommending those batteries.Joe Public gets them in a decent cordless drill-Led inspection lights etc etc.I wonder if lights will ever use Lithium-ion polymer batteries.

kreisler

Banned
Best single AA flashlight?

We always have to consider Quark AA (e.g. with XML head or not, doesnt matter if you run 1x Alkaline).

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say the Quark X Tactical AA2. The user interface gives you many different options.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm not an expert on 1xAA flashlights by any means, but I'm gifting a Fenix LD15 1xAA this Christmas and gave it some runtime first. Seemed like a pretty good light at a very good price online.

However, while I am an advocate for LiIon rechargeables, I would personally discourage their use in the OP's SF E1B. There are numerous reports on CPF regarding issues related to flashing/strobing with this setup. Many SureFire lights do quite well on LiIons, but AFAIK, the E1B isn't one of them.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Why is this? With a good (Pila IBC) charger, quality cells, basic multimeter, and a little common sense these products are fine to use. I have been using 14500, RCR123, 17670, & 18650 protected AW cells for a few years with no issue.

If you're an enthusiast who bothers to learn and follow all of the basic safety precautions, then I guess it's fine. I'm just saying that I don't recommend Li-ion batteries for flashlights right off the bat in a public forum that everybody can read. If you feel differently, then you're free to recommend them, but then I (or hopefully somebody else) will come along with a warning about Li-ion batteries.

I cannot see your problem in recommending those batteries.Joe Public gets them in a decent cordless drill-Led inspection lights etc etc.

In such cases people are using specific batteries designed for specific devices with specific chargers, and even then sometimes things can go wrong (yes, I'm wary of my own cell phone and flashlights). All types of batteries can fail, but lithium batteries tend to fail more spectacularly than others, and are at their most spectacular when sealed tightly inside the strong bodies of some flashlights (think pipe bombs). I guess I could make specific recommendations that should be safe, but I have no idea whether people will follow every one of them, and I think that potentially dangerous combinations of products are still available on the market.

I have no problem with informing people about the benefits and risks (never the former without the latter) associated with Li-ion batteries (that's how I learned), but in a thread where somebody with relatively few posts asks about AA flashlights, it's not the first thing that springs to mind unless they expressly ask for the highest output possible in a certain form factor. If you think that my reluctance is unjustified, then that's OK--you think it's unjustified and I don't (two data points).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a surefire backup that i use for work now. i love everything about it except for the batteries. I go through them so fast and my company doesnt pay for them but they will pay for AA batteries. So what light do you think would best replace my surefire?im looking for something with a good amount of output because im in dark tanks a lot.

Quark AA's Regular or Tactical, your choice! :) For more output, you could run them with 14500 batteries.