Bicycle Lights?

Flea Bag

Enlightened
You may want to look at NightSun. I consider them to be like the Rolls-Royce of bicycle lights.

This is thier top-of-the-line which I've been salivating over; the SpARC XC. It's a dual light using a 10w HID for low beam and a 35w halogen for its high beam. Its still cheaper than a SF M6 or 10x!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Kilted said:
GreenLED, how well do you like the Inova 24/7? I've been thinking of getting one.

I like mine very much. I kept it in my car for the longest time (for emergencies), but since I started riding my bike again I decided it would be a good signaling light. The clip is really strong and I don't think it would fall off your pack, your belt or back pocket.

I usually "play" (cough, cough) use the strobe modes when I ride. There's this insanely bright white/yellow/red strobe that is definitely an attention-getter. There's also a yellow/red mode where the LEDs slowly come to full brightness and then slowly dim while switching colors. I use that a little bit too, but I like the rapid strobe better. I don't think I've ever used the red-only setting while riding. If I look back when I ride, I can actually see the lights flashing off cars, etc. I'm quite amused by it, can you tell? :)

Although it wins hands down when you compare it with the "regular" bike strobes (there's no way a driver's missing the fast strobe mode), I think the 24/7 may be a bit overkill as a bike marker. You might use 2-3 of the modes while riding and that's it. Sure, you can use the other modes once you're off your bike, but you've also reached your destination and hopefully have other types of illumination. In that sense, it's a bit of a waste of a really versatile little light.

Oh, and I'm not so sure about the waterproofness of it in case you ride under the rain...

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an HDS U-60 mounted on my helmet with a twofish cyclopblock, and a modded mag 2C Tri-LuxIII mounted on the handlebars. I run both lights off on Li-ion cells and get about 2.5 hours of runtime on each light with the HDS on the 30 lumen mode, and the Tri-LuxIII putting out 120-150 lumens.

hector

Newly Enlightened
I was mucking around with lights tonight. Surefire (9AN) was much nicer than my magcharger for riding around in the woods. But it died quickly. But then I thought, hey, why not a 35 watt HID? So, I thought of making converting a reflector, getting a big SLA, etc, but then it dawned on me, why not just taped (or mount) a x990 on the bike? About 6 lbs, but the beam is adjustable, huge lumens and 70 minutes of runtime. Plus, you can carry the spare battery for more runtime.

It's a stupid bright light so you have to aim it low, but out in the woods, you can aim it wherever. It's amazing how lots of lumens help when it's pitch black.

Geogecko

Enlightened
I ended up going with a Light & Motion ARC Li-Ion. Some day, I'd like to make my own, using LED's, but I think they got about another 6 months to a year, before they are efficient enough to compete with HID's. The only real bad thing about HID over LED, is that it's not an instant on type of thing. It takes around 20-30 seconds for the HID to warm up. After that, the light is pretty bright for mountain biking. I like it.

EDIT:

Someone powered one of those BL3000 LED's (I think that's correct), and it puts out almost 600 lumens (versus the L&M's 675), but that drew about 2.3A at 11.6V, and the L&M only took 1.3A at 11.1V. You almost need twice the battery to get the same run time.

hector

Newly Enlightened
HIDs are much more efficient than LEDs are will likely remain so for years (it's a huge leap of faith to think that an LED will put out 2400 lumens at 35 watts any time soon :( ). Instant on isn't a big deal when you're biking. My biggest concern is blinding innocent bystanders, thus adjusting the head on an X990 is a reasonable idea.

Geogecko

Enlightened
hector said:
HIDs are much more efficient than LEDs are will likely remain so for years (it's a huge leap of faith to think that an LED will put out 2400 lumens at 35 watts any time soon :( ). Instant on isn't a big deal when you're biking. My biggest concern is blinding innocent bystanders, thus adjusting the head on an X990 is a reasonable idea.

It's been said, or rumored (by Surefire), that 100lm/W LED's are just around the corner...so that's 3500 lumens for your 35 watt LED!:sssh:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Just got some twofish lockblocks. They hold my GL3 pretty tightly on the handlebar, and the straps are long enough that can hold a C-sized flashlight too. I like they're simple design. I still haven't had the time to test my Peli M6 out on the trails. :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very informative link, nisshin, thanks. I've got the L&M Vega myself and use it as a commuter light. I chose this one over all the other ones I could find because it's self-contained. I use my waterbottle holders to hold water (well, Mt. Dew more than water), so the external battery pack wasn't an option.

I hope to some day make a custom LED light for my bike (I'm thinking dual 3Ws, one with a flood, one optomized for throw, running on NiHM AAs or Li-ion R123s), but for now the Vega suits my needs.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob: :thanks: Excellent thread and excellent links!

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
On my kids bikes and scooters I have beens using some of my collection of COSTCO Luxeon Flashlights which seem quite waterproof and are otherwise virtually indestructable. They have been left outside attached to scooters for months at a time without apparent ill effects. I had used the rubber straps from Nite-Ize to attach these flashlights, but they have mostly deteriorated and broken. I have ordered some of the flashlight holders from http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ . I am sure these will be fine for bikes, but doubt they will work on scooters.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't bother with those holders. The two I bought broke within a few weeks of installing them (and city use only). I've been using two-fish lockblocks ever since I got them. Simple design, easy to adjust, etc. Highly recommended.

So far, I've been using a Pila GL3 and a SF U2 with the lockblocks (sometimes both at the same time :D). There's some cheaper bike-light systems, but I figured I already have spent enough $$ in lights that I don't need a dedicated system (I don't do a lot of hard-core trail riding either, so regular flashlights do the job well).

I also have a set of LED blinkers from Nashbar, BTW. Don't forget to add as much reflective stuff on you and your bike. Even with all that light/reflective stuff (and a helmet light) I almost got hit by a car back in Dec.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
I've only just spotted this thread!

I feel obliged to add www.lumicycle.com to the list of suggestions here. After all we in the UK spend most of our time buying lights from abroad - it's only fair that you should look at some of ours!

I got a set of these lights about 5 years ago because I had a section on my commute which was completely unlit (went past the end of an airfield runway) and I had been knocked off by a driver who pulled out in front of me, looked at my (perfectly adequate) Cateye light and said "Oh, I suppose you HAVE got lights then...".
Mine are the original NiMh bag pack with zip tie mounts on the handlebars. At the time they were easily the lightest and most compact "serious" bike lights available. I have 2 x 5w lamps, although I've never yet needed the backup. This gives a run time of 8hrs+ and far more light than you actually need for commuting - it's ample for road riding, at speed, in pitch dark.

The original system uses overdriven MR11 halogen capsules (up to 50w!) in neat little machined aluminium capsules about the size of 35mm film containers. Having revisited the site recently I see that they now have quick release mounts, a selection of colours, Li-ion battery packs and a HID option!

I have found my lights to be of extremely high quality and know others with the same experiences. I bought them in the first place because of the good reviews in the mountain biking press - they were outdoing the major manufacturers for features and price.

Worth a look if you have the traditional CPF love of low volume, technically advanced lighting!

Don

Wolfgang_Ludwig

Newly Enlightened
My two favourites: Lupine Wilma (four 3Watt-Luxeons) an Lupine Edison (16/10 Watt HID) with LiIon-packs. Hard to beat in quality and brightness (in price too).

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use LED bike lighting and have been doing so since Nov 2002,
Started with a BB500 Luxeon minimag on my helmet, moved to BB500 R2H in mid-2003 and it worked well. 500mA to an R bin Luxeon worked to around 16MPH with no problems. Looked a little odd, but it worked well.
Tried the Fenix L1P and loved the size, it worked well on my helmet but was not bright enough. Hence, the MillerMods L1P was the stock Fenix replacement. Hmmm, 500mA to an R bin producing 1.7 watts (I know it works!) with 75 minutes runtime sucking 1.7 amps. If it starts to quickly dim, I click the switch for the 5-ohm "low" setting which gives me enough time to get home.
A Planet Bike 3 red LED flasher that "auto-levels" running a single lithium AAA is strapped to the back of the helmet. A Cateye 10 or 12 LED flasher being fed 2AA lithiums attaches to my rear rack and is very blinding. Cars prefer to change lanes than get retina burns from those flashers.
Any more improvements for 2006? Sure! The 60 lumen MillerMods Fenix works amazingly well, always startles drivers when I look at them and is useable to see with as well as being seen. My dream is for a TWOH bin (at 350mA) Luxeon K2 humming along at 500mA. 100 lumens of helmet light but I have to wait for the dream bin to materialize. My hope is by September, 2006 (when dreaming, dream BIG!)
Riding around in Turkey at night is an interesting experience. Yes, there is some crazy traffic but the drivers are used to bicycles mixed in. I would feel a lot better by adding a frame mounted light to my recumbent to really light up the road. Yes, another mod is coming my way! So far, a bored HA-III 2D Mag and 8AA to 2D adapter have been ordered. My plan is to get one of Andrew Wynn's BAM! "drop-in mods" in the four Luxeon K2 SWAH flavor. 400 lumens when pushing the four K2's at 700mA each (9 watts) The four LEDs will be fed through four IMS 20mm reflectors to have decent throw and a nice wide beam with spill. The BAM will adjust the output by turning the Mag head and has three different outputs 400 lumens at 9 watts with over 2 hours of runtime on 8AA 2500's. 240 lumens at 4.4 watts with over 4.5 hours of runtime or, on low--60 lumens at 0.9 watts with 25 hours of runtime.
Normally, I plan on running the 240 lumen setting and 400 lumens in heavy traffic. If I don't pay attention, the 60 lumen low will bail me out.
The point of the mods is to not look to expensive, a Mag on a bike is not "normal" but it does not seem expensive. Some nut threw a 2D Mag on a bicycle! As long as they don't see it in action or worse, get nuked by 400 lumens I should stay in the background.
My stock Fenix L1P is velcro strapped to a friends helmet, she likes the light and it works much better than her cheapo Wally World special. Aurora 2AA Jupiters work well on my families bikes, they have decent throw and the bluish color is easily noticed by drivers.
I thought I was one of the few that used LED flashlights for bike lighting (although heavily modified flashlights) Time to fire up the MillerMods L1P on the helmet and hit the road... the night beckons.

Latest posts