boost driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there a 6v to 12v 8A boost driver available?

I take it you're changing the lighting on a car or tractor with a 6V (and possibly a positive ground) system. It may be better to convert your 6V system to a 12V system. To go from 6V to 12V, and deliver 8A, you'll probably be drawing 20A or more.

What is your application? These look like what you want, but they're a bit pricey. Also that 2A overhead and 70-75% efficiency might be problematic if your generation capacity is limited.

If it's for halogen lighting, many bulbs are available in 6V.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you wont find boost driver to work with 8-10a on either side, iirc 5A input is limit for hyperboost, and it is boost driver that handles most current out of all available drivers,

you will have to make your own, or have someone do it for you.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeesh! pricey lil units! i guess i woulden't mind finding the obsolete model if its cheaper. the new one is overboard for what i'm doing and the 2A overhead is a lil excessive. the unit i need doesent need to be uber regulated. just durable..

Damn, well i wonder what someone would charge for what i need. :/

You could try contacting Adafruit Industries, they make electronic kits, and the have one that very efficiently boosts 3.7 to 5V. It's a different animal, but they may at least be able to point you in the right direction. To do it efficiently, the DC has to first be converted to high frequency AC, then back to DC.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Those are constant voltage drivers, which won't be too great if you're planning an LED setup.

wquiles

Flashaholic
It is certainly more expensive, but you can use multiple boost drivers to achieve the total power output that you need. So for example, lets say that you have 10 LED's that need driving, you could use one boost driver for 5x of them, and a second boost driver for the other 5x. The input to both boost drivers would be connected in parallel - both drivers would get their input voltage/current from the same source, but you would split the work, instead of having a single driver try do all that work.

Will

It is certainly more expensive, but you can use multiple boost drivers to achieve the total power output that you need. So for example, lets say that you have 10 LED's that need driving, you could use one boost driver for 5x of them, and a second boost driver for the other 5x. The input to both boost drivers would be connected in parallel - both drivers would get their input voltage/current from the same source, but you would split the work, instead of having a single driver try do all that work.

Will

Apparently it's not for LED, OP is being mysterious :sssh:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
a client of mine wants to upgrade the headlights on his show car, that has a 6v system, to HID. i've already done the tail lights and marker lights in LED, as well as the interior and dash lights, but with the color scheme of his lighting, he wants a bright purple for the headlights, and i can't find 6v HID ballasts. he wants to keep most of the system at the stock 6v. and has all the stock parts set aside so he can sell it as stock should he decide to, but until then, he wants to mod up for the showcase.

wquiles

Flashaholic
a client of mine wants to upgrade the headlights on his show car, that has a 6v system, to HID. i've already done the tail lights and marker lights in LED, as well as the interior and dash lights, but with the color scheme of his lighting, he wants a bright purple for the headlights, and i can't find 6v HID ballasts. he wants to keep most of the system at the stock 6v. and has all the stock parts set aside so he can sell it as stock should he decide to, but until then, he wants to mod up for the showcase.

THAT was the post you should have started with - you were giving too little information and making us guess unnecessarily :mad:

So we are not trying to find an "LED" driver at all :ohgeez:

Do you need a simpler DC-to-DC boost voltage converter, which will then feed your 12-volt based (and standard) HID lighting system/kit.

Do a search on Google for "6V to 12V 10A boost converter" and you will find "many" circuits/modules for this. Be aware that 8Amps (output, which will mean at least 16 amps at the input!) will likely require more than one module to be wired in parallel in order to supply enough current for your 12V HID system.

Will

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, thats what i've been seeing, but i don't think the 6v charging system will last long with that kinda draw on it... so i'm looking into a 2nd alternator and a small 12v batt to run the HID side, as well as a few other small 12v items he wants to install.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
a client of mine wants to upgrade the headlights on his show car, that has a 6v system, to HID. i've already done the tail lights and marker lights in LED, as well as the interior and dash lights, but with the color scheme of his lighting, he wants a bright purple for the headlights

The lighting modifications/products you're asking about and describing are illegal. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal activity. This thread's closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.