Brand Loyalty

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Real Coke - not diet, not caffene free, not Pepsi - Real Coke.
Back when I could have sugar... even though I'm not Jewish, Passover was important to me because that's the ONE time a year they make a batch of Coke Classic with real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Slop*... and yes, it makes a BIG difference! I've done the occasional "taste test" on friends and to a man they've preferred the version with real sugar. I notice that PepsiCo has been doing occasional "Throwback" releases of Mountain Dew and Pepsi that are made with real sugar; I wish Coca-Cola Co. would do the same. Even with the diabetes, I might be able to sneak a taste of The Real Thing occasionally - but it would be a lot easier to manage from cans than the 2-litre bottles that Passover Coke is sold in around here.

I've tried "Mexican" Coke - but despite the claims that the flavor blend of Coke is the same the world over, it tastes very different to me than "Kosher" Coke, and I preferred the latter. (One of the downsides of NAFTA on the other side of the border is the demand of the big producers of HFCS that Mexico's tariffs to protect their domestic sugar industry - which are why Mexican sodas are made with real sugar - give way to their product. *bleah* So there's no guarantee Mexican Coke will stay HFCS-free.)

*Apparently, corn is in a "might be mistaken for/disguise something REALLY forbidden during Passover" category, and thus many observing Passover prefer to avoid corn products at that time. Coca-Cola and PepsiCo both produce "Kosher for Passover" versions of some of their sodas in areas with a large Jewish population.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Taylors make really nice Port.

Blair's range of hot chilli sauces - good flavours, not just blistering hot.

fedexbox

Newly Enlightened
Doing a project on Quaker Oats - 130 years in the business - strong brand recognition.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a hippie, but I used to have 3' long hair (I'm 6'). Even here in the SF Bay Area (think Berkeley back in the '60s) people still called me that.

I'm with Monocrom, I have no brand loyalty. I used to waaaay back when but it's lost its magic.

I was a die-hard Sony fan. They made really good electronics back in the 80's and 90's. Particular favorites of mine were the cassette Walkman and Discman. Then they shifted from "Made in Japan" to "Made in China". They also started making everything proprietary and expensive. After a while it became pointless.

The one brand I buy frequently is Kirkland Signature (think Costco). Less expensive but way better than branded items.

Last edited:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Thinking about it, I guess I'm not into Brands as such, more like I am in to buying quality things that will last and / or give me enjoyment. I would not buy a certain item to impress others.

Does that make sense?

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Thinking about it, I guess I'm not into Brands as such, more like I am in to buying quality things that will last and / or give me enjoyment. I would not buy a certain item to impress others.

Does that make sense?
Well, yes - but I started this thread talking about food - where it's usually a literal matter of taste than worrying about what "message" one's favorite brand of whatever sends. Many people do think more about what "image" their stereo system or car sends than what brand of butter or orange juice they buy.

Maybe I should have used a different term than "brand loyalty" now that I see the direction the discussion went, since "brand loyalty" has implications beyond what I was getting at, though it's a commonly used expression. Ah well - live and learn. :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should have used a different term than "brand loyalty" now that I see the direction the discussion went, since "brand loyalty" has implications beyond what I was getting at, though it's a commonly used expression. Ah well - live and learn. :)

Being loyal to food is easy. You prefer one over another, and you only buy your favourite.

Being loyal to a brand is much more than that. You might like their product, but do you like the way they do business, or their corporate philosophy?

I'm loyal to Apple. I like their product, but I also like their business model, and the way they think about the design of their products, hardware and software.

I'm extremely disloyal to Sony. I find their business practices abhorrent. If I can avoid giving them a single dollar, I will.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Sperry Topsiders. Been wearing them for three decades. The best part: when the old pair wears out, I go to Amazon, order a pair of 10 1/2 M, and know that they will fit like a glove. Every time.