How do you pronounce (Brand Name)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at work and I'm wondering how you pronounce some computer equipment brands since I heard my boss mention a few in the background.

Benq > Boss pronounces it "Ben-Que" but I say "Bank"

Ricoh > Boss pronounces it "Re-ko" but I say "Ri-ko"

Which is right ?

mchlwise

Enlightened
I say "Benk" as in bank, but with an "e", or bench but with a k.

And I say (and have heard) "Ree-coe" as in... Ricoh. :shrug:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Linux:
Lyn-ux?
Leen-ix?
Line-ix?
:nana:

I've always mentally pronounced benq as Ben-Cue. Don't recognize ricoh, but just at a glance I'd say Rie-Coe because us Americans love our long vowels.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ten cents including GST:

BenQ = ben kyew
Ricoh = ree ko (long o sound)
Linux = leenix, as per Linus Torvaalds' pronunciation. (I have an audio file of it if anyone is interested.)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Ben-Cue" I've got a BenQ Lightscribe drive. While looking for an LS drive to buy, some random guy in Fry's told me he heard that "Ben-Cue" drives were supposed to be good. Since he pronounced it like I did, I figure that must be how it's said. I never really gave that one any thought, as I thought it seemed obvious, but I guess it really isn't so obvious.

"Ree-coe" - I've never given this one any thought, either, because from an early age, I've heard it pronounced by my uncle, who is an avid photographer.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working in a camera shop, i did a double take when someoe called one of my cameras a RYKO (ricoh). I mentioned that to a co-worker and he gave me a look like are you kidding me / is it that hard? lol

Valolammas

Enlightened
Linux:
Lyn-ux?
Leen-ix?
Line-ix?

I'd say it "Lee-nooks", but with short vowels. I hope I got that right, it's hard to come up with these pronunciation guides in English.

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you guys say "NiMH"? Can it be said as a single word in English or do you spell it out?

(Not too long ago I would have happily pronounced LED like lead (the metal), but apparently it's an L-E-D.)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it "Lee-nooks", but with short vowels. I hope I got that right, it's hard to come up with these pronunciation guides in English.

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you guys say "NiMH"? Can it be said as a single word in English or do you spell it out?

(Not too long ago I would have happily pronounced LED like lead (the metal), but apparently it's an L-E-D.)

i say the full english meaning of the abbreviation NiMH.

engineers often go either way on LED/LEDs, i.e. i hear both L-E-D-(s) and occassionally LED(S). we can be lazy, er..., should i say more efficient, in the number of syllables we use.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say NiMH as "nim" but sometimes as "nihm" (which sounds pretty much identical anyway).

I say LED mostly as "L E D". Very occasionally I'll say "LED", although I vaguely recall the last time I said it that way some little kid told me off. :laughing:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always go L.E.D. but generally quickly without annunciating the letters. Elleedee
I slow down when I'm showing flashlights to unenlightened.

As for NiMh, I mentally say Nih-Muh, but I'll always articulate it as Nickel Metal Hydride if I happen to actually speak with someone about them (which is rare).

DM51

Flashaholic
As has been pointed out with 'LED', you can sometimes tell how people pronounce things by how they write them. Examples "an 18650" = "an eighteen-six-fifty" whereas "a 18650" = "a one-eight-six...". This isn't foolproof - both ways of saying "a 17670" would be written the same way.

Back to the OP: if your boss has a particular way of pronouncing something, you would be very unwise to tell him he is getting it wrong!