brightest flashlight under 40$

camelight

Newly Enlightened
for few weeks i am looking to buy the brightest flashlight i can with my budget. i saw the skyray king but after reading a lot i understood it's not as bright as i thought and there are so many clones i dont know if they any good. i keep searching for a very bright flashlight but as i read more i get more confused because there so many flashlight and a lot of the information on them isn't true.
so it would really help me if you can help me
i also have the possibility to buy not so good flashlight and improve it myself, but again an advice would help me very much

and just for clarification when i said my budget is 40$ is only for the flashlight no battrys or shiping

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
The skyrays i have, i would guess between 1500-1800lm ish(3 led versions).

Maybe look along the lines of the BLF A6, this has quite an output on a single 18650 and fairly compact. So unlike the skyway clones, this can be slipped into a pocket and used!

Just a thought;)
:welcome:

camelight

Newly Enlightened
The skyrays i have, i would guess between 1500-1800lm ish(3 led versions).

Maybe look along the lines of the BLF A6, this has quite an output on a single 18650 and fairly compact. So unlike the skyway clones, this can be slipped into a pocket and used!

Just a thought;)
:welcome:
thanx for the help but this kind of flashlight is not what i am looking for. i have 2 mte p7-d they are very similer to this blf a6 (but it looks like the a6 is better)

ven

Flashaholic
To help others , help with with more info please . Size , idea of use as I have 300lm level on throwers that look brighter than a flooder on a 1000lm. Lumens are great, but the reflector plays a huge part.

Any particular use in mind?

camelight

Newly Enlightened
To help others , help with with more info please . Size , idea of use as I have 300lm level on throwers that look brighter than a flooder on a 1000lm. Lumens are great, but the reflector plays a huge part.

Any particular use in mind?
well size no so important but not a huge spotlight
i want to use it for riding a bike
well i Prefer more floody lights but when i am riding i have to see far awey so i dont want a spotlight or hid flashlights
somthing like this photo
mqdefault.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, pick any BLF light. A6 (more floody), D80 (mega throw) or X6 (more throw than flood). check banggood and gearbest. I like the neutral 3B tints.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
I agree, pick any BLF light. A6 (more floody), D80 (mega throw) or X6 (more throw than flood). check banggood and gearbest. I like the neutral 3B tints.

i saw some reviews on youtube and the those lights looks very good but i am looking for somthing very very bright even more from that if there isn't brighter lights in my budget\it's low quality\i don't like it from any reason no doubt i would buy one of those blf

ven

Flashaholic
You maybe just better going on fasttech/gearbest/banggood then and hoping for the best! Your not going to get what you want for $40 and be very reliable. Cheap(so called bright) lights are cheap for reasons, no heat sinking, cheap copied LED's(not CREE)...........

Up the budget and have something thats worth the money imho, or after a few days/weeks it will be potentially scrap!

Saying that, the skyway king(3 led version as so many its hard to tell whats what, whats a copy of a copy of a copy............) has been fine for years. Not been used in anger, nor would i depend on it. Again maybe 1800lm but it is quite bright.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love these BLF flashlights.

One small nitpick: the BLF D80, using a Cree XM-L2 emitter, is the one that has "more throw than flood." Using a Cree XP-L HI emitter, the BLF Kronos X6 definitely out-throws it.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
You maybe just better going on fasttech/gearbest/banggood then and hoping for the best! Your not going to get what you want for $40 and be very reliable. Cheap(so called bright) lights are cheap for reasons, no heat sinking, cheap copied LED's(not CREE)...........

Up the budget and have something thats worth the money imho, or after a few days/weeks it will be potentially scrap!

Saying that, the skyway king(3 led version as so many its hard to tell whats what, whats a copy of a copy of a copy............) has been fine for years. Not been used in anger, nor would i depend on it. Again maybe 1800lm but it is quite bright.

well i know that in that budget i wouldnt get the best thing but still 40$ is no so cheap its inexpansive but not cheap
so if there isn't somthing that is exstreamly bright and reliable its a problem because when i am riding my bike in the dark i have to see very well but i think a 1000lm should be enough too
so now my question is what the most reliable 1000lm flashlight in my budget?
i dont Expect it to be like a fenix but i am sure there is nice quality flashlighets in this budget

I love these BLF flashlights.

One small nitpick: the BLF D80, using a Cree XM-L2 emitter, is the one that has "more throw than flood." Using a Cree XP-L HI emitter, the BLF Kronos X6 definitely out-throws it.

is the blf a6 reliable?

i see Recommendations to convoy flashlights in this site sre they good?

Right now the blf a6 lookes the best but I heard few bad reviews that is didnt work at all or missing o ring that made the lens fall ant brake

ven

Flashaholic
If you buy a convoy s2+ off Simon from aliexpress(be careful with gearbest and banggood as have had copies) then for maybe $15 a nice tint and the beam is what i say a happy medium type, Reasonable reach and spill so useful, would say potentially a good light for a bike!!

Running a single 18650 at 1000lm will not be sustainable due to heat............

However 3-400lm in the woods should be enough for night adapted eyes and you wont want 1000lm on road anyway as its dangerous to traffic.

Would not get hung up on 1000lm, its how the light is put out there..........the furthest throwing LED flashlight with 1.3 million cd is a bit over 600lm !!!!

For a coke can multi cell/LED , the thrunite tn30 mini would make your day, i know over budget but will save in the long run.............just a thought and a very good value light!

Its so easy to amass lots of cheap lights, some break, other just plane *beep*, PWM like a strobe............only to add up the total cost of a lot more than one decent light.

The BLF is not a perfect light no, then again you could spend $300 on a light and it could be DOA............it happens.

Fenix do some reasonably priced dedicated bike lights, beam more ideal for riding ......just thoughts.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the BLF A6 reliable?

I see Recommendations to Convoy flashlights in this site. Are they good?

Right now the BLF A6 looks the best, but I heard few bad reviews that it didn't work at all, or was missing O-ring that made the lens fall and break.

I have two BLF A6 flashlights, and one Astrolux S1. Other than a couple of drops onto the kitchen floor, I have not given them hard use. I have holsters for them that I use when they are carried in my daypack.

One of my A6 flashlights arrived with only 6 out of 7 output modes working. The sub-lumen Moonlight mode would not work, but all 6 of the other modes did. At no charge, the vendor sent me a replacement head.

I was fortunate to later have the assistance of an experienced flashlight modder. When we dismantled the "broken" head, we found nothing wrong with it. Its Moonlight mode was not working, but the explanation my friend eventually settled on was that natural variation in 7135 chips was the culprit. Those chips are running on their lowest settings for Moonlight modes. There can be significant variation from one chip to another. Evidently, mine was not outputting enough current to turn on the LED.

The maker of the A6 and S1 is Manker. Frankly, the A6 had more than its fair share of issues initially, so there were some complaints. You can, for instance, see photos of poor solder joints if you review the A6 threads at BLF. The overwhelming majority of buyers, however, got working lights.

The Astrolux S1 came later. It is the exact same flashlight as the A6. Only the name is changed. Because the S1 came after the A6, the lessons learned making the A6 have been implemented on the S1, and also on later runs of the A6.

I am comfortable recommending either the A6 or the S1. I do not have any experience, however, using them in high-shock environments such as what you get with a bicycle-mounted flashlight. The A6 has springs on both ends of the battery, so it might fare well on a bicycle, but I have never tested it there. I recall reading that others have used the A6 successfully on a bicycle.

Are the A6 and S1 as dependable as my ZebraLight SC62w, a flashlight which uses potted electronics? I doubt it.

I cannot speak from personal experience about the dependability of Convoy flashlights. As yet, I have never owned one. The folks who do, reporting both here and at BLF, have only praise. Based on that, I am comfortable recommending Convoy. As Ven points out, beware of fakes.

Last edited:

camelight

Newly Enlightened
If you buy a convoy s2+ off Simon from aliexpress(be careful with gearbest and banggood as have had copies) then for maybe $15 a nice tint and the beam is what i say a happy medium type, Reasonable reach and spill so useful, would say potentially a good light for a bike!!

Running a single 18650 at 1000lm will not be sustainable due to heat............

However 3-400lm in the woods should be enough for night adapted eyes and you wont want 1000lm on road anyway as its dangerous to traffic.

Would not get hung up on 1000lm, its how the light is put out there..........the furthest throwing LED flashlight with 1.3 million cd is a bit over 600lm !!!!

For a coke can multi cell/LED , the thrunite tn30 mini would make your day, i know over budget but will save in the long run.............just a thought and a very good value light!

Its so easy to amass lots of cheap lights, some break, other just plane *beep*, PWM like a strobe............only to add up the total cost of a lot more than one decent light.

The BLF is not a perfect light no, then again you could spend $300 on a light and it could be DOA............it happens.

Fenix do some reasonably priced dedicated bike lights, beam more ideal for riding ......just thoughts.

of course it would get hot but i can deal with it, and most of this lights 1000+ is torbu high is more like 800 that i would use more To maintain the emitter but still for riding in a dark forest or desert anything under 1000 lm is not enough

i am not looking for a thrower but if i i would you are right it doesn't have to be the brightest

well if there is something like the blf just better it would be very nice but i haven't fond one yet
overall its looks very good yea its not a fenix or olight but it looks like it have nice quality if it's not DOA
i think i would buy it but i am still happy for more Suggestions

ven

Flashaholic
You might be able to deal with it but the light will not , it will step down ......you will not get 1000lm from a single 18650 light for long periods, even 5-600lm can be quite an ask.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed.

Ven knows flashlights a lot better than I do. I will, however, say this. In most cases, you cannot go by a flashlight's highest rating. Those are usually "turbo" modes than can only be sustained for short periods. If you truly need a flashlight that is capable of sustaining 1000 lumens, you have to search for something can do twice that much in Turbo mode.

The Nitecore EC4SW and the Nitecore P36 are examples of this. Both have turbo modes that are rated at 2000 lumens. Both are capable of sustained output at 1000.

If I recall correctly, the Nitecore EC4 is an exception. It uses 2x18650 to drive a Cree XM-L2 to a maximum of 1000 lumens. That's a level it can maintain.

Peak Beam intensity measured 28400lx @1m giving a beam range of 337m.

There is parasitic drain at 315uA which will fully deplete 3400mAh cells in 1.23 years.

Output on Turbo is never stepped down (partly due to the enhanced heatsinking provided by the die-cast body) and is well regulated for the entire runtime.

NITECORE%20EC4%20runtime.jpg

[Emphasis added.]

Buch Nezzer

Newly Enlightened
I Prophesize - it will come from the Shenzhen District.:candle:

Hi.

Why not a dedicated bike light ? have you looked at the like of Bright Eyes, Ugoe, Moon Meteor etc etc . .)

Cheers.

ven

Flashaholic
Agreed.

Ven knows flashlights a lot better than I do. I will, however, say this.

Nah it's just a bulb and a tube , some go bright, others not as quite! :laughing:

;)

Agree , for around 1000lm for longer periods, then moving to dual cell is the way forward due to the extra mass available. Will help sustain higher outputs for longer durations and have more in the tank/s for run time .