Brightest Lantern?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alka-leaks will give you great runtime at low currents, but when hit hard, they can't supply high current nearly as well as NiMh, NiCd, or any of the flavors of lithium-ion cells.

What is your application?

Backyard barbecue?
Camping?
Blackout?
End-of-the-world-as-we-know-it?
Just for fun?
All of the above?

recDNA

Flashaholic
My Coleman has a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery. I use them mostly during blackouts and I seldom go to highest output. I just like the option should I need to work on something requiring bright light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My Coleman has a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery. I use them mostly during blackouts and I seldom go to highest output. I just like the option should I need to work on something requiring bright light.
I have a number of those 4.5Ah 6V batteries. I top them off every now and then, probably 3-4 times a year. People have problems with them if they put them away and forget about them.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a number of those 4.5Ah 6V batteries. I top them off every now and then, probably 3-4 times a year. People have problems with them if they put them away and forget about them.

Problems? Do they leak? Explode? Go dead and become impossible to charge? What?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Problems? Do they leak? Explode? Go dead and become impossible to charge? What?
They slowly discharge, then go dead, and lose the ability to hold a charge.

Richwouldn't did a little research and wrote more about it here:
start at post #17, then skip ahead to post #31.

I bought a Northwest Territory spiral florescent lantern with a 6V SLA battery in it, and it was fine, but MANY returned their's because the battery didn't hold a charge. They went dead on the shelf. IIRC they should be recharged at least every six months.

recDNA

Flashaholic
thanks! Sounds like I should have bought 4 x NiMH D and a charger instead of battery pack.

Now that I checked what 4 NiMH batteries and a Maha 808 costs I know I made the right decision. $150 for batteries and a charger? Nuts. I'd rather buy a new lantern every few years.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
thanks! Sounds like I should have bought 4 x NiMH D and a charger instead of battery pack.

Now that I checked what 4 NiMH batteries and a Maha 808 costs I know I made the right decision. $150 for batteries and a charger? Nuts. I'd rather buy a new lantern every few years.

I believe that the Maha is the top of the line and is about $100 or so. You can get Tenergy D NiMH for about $8 each, and a much less expensive charger.

Battery junction currently has a Tenergy combo of 8 D cells with a four bay charger for $41 incl shipping. EDIT... Yeah... that must have been a miss-print that they corrected. The charger is $29 with free shipping.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I believe that the Maha is the top of the line and is about $100 or so. You can get Tenergy D NiMH for about $8 each, and a much less expensive charger.

Battery junction currently has a Tenergy combo of 8 D cells with a four bay charger for $41 incl shipping. EDIT... Yeah... that must have been a miss-print that they corrected. The charger is $29 with free shipping.
Too bad. I'd be all over that. I don't need to pay an extra $70 for a faster charge. I don't care if it takes 24 hours as long as it is safe.