Budget katanas???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I have been toying with the idea of buying a katana for when the zombies come out and 2012 and the end of the world as we know it. :duh2: :shakehead :tinfoil: J/K

Well I really want a nice sword to hang and why not take a few swings at stuff, Anyone have recomendations for budget katanas? If I'm going to get one, why not a good useful one that can actually do a good job?

I was seeing some katanas from Cheness that apparently look good and can take a beating also some from Hanwei anyone have any recomendations of a nicely built one that wont break the bank?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
budK.com has some "inexpensive' ones...

I wouldn't bet my life on one but some of them are pretty cool to look at !

Not bad for $20 !
katana.jpg

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might check out Badger Blades. They're not the cheapest, but you can get a sword that could actually take a beating.

carrot

Flashaholic
What you are looking into is what sword makers and collectors generally call "practical katanas"

They are not show pieces and are far more functional than aesthetic, but they are workhorses and should be perfect for zombie attacks. While you're at it you should also take some kendo classes, which will teach you to wield a katana properly and safely.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A guy I sit with at lunch recently told me that if there are ever any zombies, he's going to town with his two katanas.

I said, "um, ok, you do that. Meanwhile, I'll be picking 'em off with my .22 from my roof."

I truly hope that guy never sees a zed. He'd be dead. (undead? :thinking:)

roguesw

Enlightened
I practice Iaido and my advice is you get what you pay for.
Seriously, wall hangers belong on the wall only.
Please take care if you want to practice cutting. Please do it in a safe place.
If you want to get a sword for practice, spend a bit of money, because
its for your own safety. A wallhanger is not made to be used for cutting, the blade
in the handle is not made thick enough to withstand the stresses of cutting.
Even in the Iaido group, we practice the basics of cutting long before we move onto
cutting for real. So please be safe.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I would get one of Paul Chen's swords. They are all fully functional and go from 2 or 3 hundred for his cheap ones, the Practical Katana series, up to around 1000 - 1500 for his folded steal blades. All very good quality for the price. A lot of martial artists seem to like the Kami sword, but I don't like the orange sheath.
Note: it is very easy to seriously hurt yourself with a razor sharp sword unless you have been trained to use it.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, avoid aluminum. These will often be the cheapest swords. Katanas with aluminum blades are for show only. They are dull and can't be sharpened. They won't do much, if any cutting. Second, look for swords that have the blade going through to the full length of the handle (full tang, if I remember correctly). These will be the strongest built and will be made to last. Third, find out about the type of steel and how many times it was folded. Cheap steel can rust, may not hold a good edge, or retain the edge well. Study the different types of steels. The best steel is in authentic Japanese Samurai swords that took a long time to make and were made long ago. The secrets to making this steel have pretty much been lost. They can no longer be made. The number of folds the steel has been through will be a major factor in how strong the blade is. It will also be a major factor in how much the sword costs as folding the steel over and over takes time (labor). It's not uncommon for an expert sword maker to spend a month or more making one sword and charging tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars to make it. It may seem like a waste of money to some to spend that much on a good sword, but an excellent sword can cut a cheap sword in half.
I think if you want a cheap sword, the best place to get one would probably be a gun show. I have seen decent steel swords at past shows for $50-$300.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm... Good sword steal rusts easy. The old master work katanas can rust with your finger prints. The alloys that make steel rust resistant also make them more brittle. Good for knives, bad for swords.

That depends on your definition of good sword steel. The good swords don't use one type of steel. They use a low carbon steel for the core that keeps the sword from being brittle and a high carbon steel on the surface of the blade that is tougher and holds an edge better. The sword is then coated to prevent rust. However, really good swords are out of most people's price range. This is why it's important to read up on the different types of steels used. You may have to sacrifice one or more of these if you can't afford a really good sword: edge retention, toughness, or resistance to rust or corrosion. Some steels can come close to the same properties as the steels of the old Samurai swords such as Damascus steel. Look up the steels used in a sword you plan on purchasing so you know what one is best for you. This link will give you a better idea of how good swords are made:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/swor-nf.html

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly full katana sized, but I'm fond of this one...

3766894627_1121395a00_o.jpg

It's the Rodent Waki from Swamp Rat Knife Works - unfortunately, the pre-orders are closed, but if you email the owner, he might have some order cancellations and be able to sell you one. If not, they pop up on the secondary market occasionally.

Best part - it's one of the few swords you can buy with an UNCONDITIONAL lifetime warranty on both the blade and the handle. If you break it prying a car door open, Swamp Rat will replace it. Cool.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the exact price right in front of me, but I think base price was in the 350 dollar range. To upgrade to the multicolored orange/black g10 handle put me around the $400 mark.

Worth every penny - I have cut trees down with it :D

Patriot

Flashaholic
Cheap steel can rust, may not hold a good edge, or retain the edge well. Study the different types of steels. The best steel is in authentic Japanese Samurai swords that took a long time to make and were made long ago.

Any high quality carbon, non-chromium steel can rust. Some of my toughest, most expensive knife blades will rust without a protective layer of oil over them. A steel's rust resistance as nothing to do with it's quality. Some high qualities steels are rust resistance and some are not. Traditional Katanas were not stainless or high chromium steels. All of them will rust. :)

Alex GT
Typically, affordable working or practice swords are made from 1055 which is a great steel. Yes, it will rust too but it's just one of the things that you have to put up with in sword steels. Cold Steel Katana's can often be found on blowout or clearance sales at certain times of the year, sometimes under $300.

Illum

Flashaholic
Not exactly full katana sized, but I'm fond of this one...

It's the Rodent Waki from Swamp Rat Knife Works - unfortunately, the pre-orders are closed, but if you email the owner, he might have some order cancellations and be able to sell you one. If not, they pop up on the secondary market occasionally.

Best part - it's one of the few swords you can buy with an UNCONDITIONAL lifetime warranty on both the blade and the handle. If you break it prying a car door open, Swamp Rat will replace it. Cool.

this is the micarta handle or the G10?
either way it'll put you back about $400

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Mine is the multicolored g10 upgrade. For a pure user, I actually prefer the feel of micarta in hand, but the orange and black was too sexy to pass up for a zombie slayer