Build quality of Armytek against SF/ Malkoff ??? Picky opinion please ...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Armyteks and just can say that they are all of a very high quality. The feeling of using them is anything else than massproduced budget. I am really doubtful about that Armyteks would have bad heatsinking. There are only two flashlight brands(in my collection) I would place in the same or a higher league than Armytek, and these are Surefire and Malkoff.

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Let's agree to disagree. Here are some facts to back up my viewpoint. I'll use selfbuilt's review of the Viking Pro (and I'll try to focus most of my comments on that model, if I can), as that's the light under consideration by the OP. I hope this (brief) comparison is useful to the OP. The Viking Pro review can be found here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366051

First, let's address the claim that Armytek doesn't have proper thermal design, and has a "need for stepping down the output to avoid burning up the LED from poor design." Simply check any of the regulated-runtime graphs in the review to see that this claim is plainly false. (To be fair, selfbuilt reported some strange behavior for 2 x CR123 primaries on the Viking Pro, where he observed STEP regulation when FULL regulation was selected. I'm not sure if he came up with an explanation for this, but if FULL regulation is important for use with 2 x CR123, then this light may not be a good choice. But to say that there is a "need for stepping down the output to avoid burning up the LED from poor design" is clearly false, as the light is shown to be perfectly capable of FULL regulation, with no signs of damage to the light.)

Next, let's address the claim that Malkoff and HDS are "much better in every possible facet of construction and operation."

Let's talk about operation first in terms of UI. The claim about operation (UI) seems silly to me, as Armytek's Pro models (including the Viking Pro) can be programmed to have a staggering range of settings. In fact, it is possible to copy exactly Malkoff's "tighten head for high, loosen head for low" UI. If the user doesn't like using head twists to change modes (not just lines - or sets of modes), simply opt for the Basic version instead of the Pro for a no-nonsense UI without any complications. If the quote refers to Malkoff's 361 UI, for example, then the Basic Armytek models offer a similar UI in the head-loosened state. As for the HDS's UI - that's another beast altogether. It's true that the Viking Pro doesn't have anything similar to the Rotary, for example. Other than the rotary, however, the Pro models are able to be customized to arguably the same extent as any other HDS (each has features the other doesn't, and both have tons of options!).

The next part of operation - things like how a light feels in the hand, how fluidly the UI itself works for a particular user, etc. - is largely subjective; I'll just say that I have no qualms with any of these manufacturers.

If you look at operation in terms of performance - things like output and efficiency - the Viking or Predator is going to blow many of Malkoff's offerings out of the water in terms of both total output and lumen-hours, and Malkoff simply does not offer anything with the throw of the Predator (including the Hound Dog, to my eye - though that may change if he offers an MT-G2 version in the near future!). If you further restrict yourself to the same size class, Malkoff will have trouble keeping up with the Viking in terms of both output and efficiency. See selfbuilt's review for specific comparisons between the Viking Pro and other well-known lights in a similar size class. At the other end of the spectrum, the Viking Pro claims 130 days of runtime on its lowest setting, which I believe outlasts current HDS low settings (of course, this isn't a very fair comparison - 3400mAh vs 1500mAh - but I believe the Viking's lowest setting runs for several times as long as the HDS's lowest setting) and many of Malkoff's stock options (maybe a 361 on low with a high/low ring would be in the ballpark?).

If you include, say, durability in the discussion of performance, then all three brands are known to stand up to some pretty heavy abuse. I believe torture test videos are available online for all of these manufacturers.

Finally, as far as construction goes, this is largely going to be subjective (as will part of the operation of the light - preferring electronic vs clicky switches, for example). Armytek offers thicker coatings on their lights, and pots the electronics (just as Malkoff and HDS do). As I said before, Armytek lights FEEL very high-quality to me when I hold them - just as much so as Malkoff and HDS lights - but this is clearly an opinion (for what it's worth, selfbuilt also comments that Armytek's lights seem to be of high build quality). There are probably too many design implementations in HDS lights to even discuss, and I would imagine that a detailed analysis would leave HDS as the clear winner in terms of thoughtfulness of the design - over both Malkoff and Armytek. (If you go to Armytek's website, navigate to the Viking Pro, and click on the Specifications tab, you'll see that Armytek really has put a lot of thought into the design - it's obvious from all the features they list.)

The rest of the post seems to be subjective comments about the light based on its location of manufacture. I don't think there's any point in attempting to address that part of the post.

For what it's worth, I own lights from all three of these manufacturers - and will continue to do so! But I want to make sure that the OP has accurate information in order to make an informed decision.

Excellent post Mr. Elf. I think this sums up the quality of Armtek's products quite nicely. :)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own 1 Fenix light, a TK-41. I can say that its threads feel like very good quality threads. I can also say they feel of much higher quality than standard Maglight threads. In fact, the entire light is thicker and tougher than any Maglight I have ever handled. I dont own any Surefire lights, but as has been pointed out here a million times, it often seems that Surefire is a little behind the curve when it comes to features and brightness and interface options with many of their lights. They tend to be very expensive, considering you can buy lights with better options, equal or better electronics and significantly more brightness for significantly less money. As far as build quality and toughness they are good, but I dont know that you can say that they are necessarily any tougher than many of the lights made by Fenix, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Sunwayman, etc.

If you were impressed by the quality of a Maglight when you first picked it up, I am surprised you thought that the Fenix light(although I have never handled a PD35).

MBentz

Enlightened
but I dont know that you can say that they are necessarily any tougher than many of the lights made by Fenix, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Sunwayman, etc.

I'll personally vouch for SureFire being tougher than Jetbeam.

Congrats on the 18 smoke free months by the way. $3k will buy a lot of flashlights!

wjv

Enlightened
I'll take a Fenix over a Mag any day. . Quality, feel, run time, value. . .

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I'll take a Fenix over a Mag any day. . Quality, feel, run time, value. . .
While there are few things I would pick a Mag over, I do have to say my trusty 3C Mag feels hefty and tough. That said, I can't remember the last time I used it. ;)

ryankan1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great response guys... I might give it a go sometime, but meanwhile, after spending money twice and not getting much satisfaction (bought a Solarforce P1D and a PD35), I think I'll go the safe route and buy an Elzetta to quench my thirst for a bulletproof light!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great response guys... I might give it a go sometime, but meanwhile, after spending money twice and not getting much satisfaction (bought a Solarforce P1D and a PD35), I think I'll go the safe route and buy an Elzetta to quench my thirst for a bulletproof light!

LOL, that takes the discussion to a whole different level! You will like the Elzetta :thumbsup:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Inova lights by Nite Ize are good. They are crush proof. Very thick walls with almost zero battery rattle. I have the Inova X2 (silver colored) which runs on two AA bateries with an output of 150 ANSI lumens. The output may not be great but it practical. It has a very smooth beam pattern due to its textured reflector. Only downside is the smooth barrel and feels a bit heavy due to the thick metal. You can check the T series on this Russian video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DyiXqsLpr0 (by Miroshop.com.ua). Can't understand a word but you can pretty much understand the video.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any Surefire, but I have an Elzetta, and I like it. If I had to pick one light for durability, the Elzetta would definitely be it. But the Armytek IS definitely comparable...it feels more solid than ANY of my other lights, except the Elzetta, and as others have stated, the Armytek anodizing is literally the best out there for ANY price that I have seen. And Armytek doesn't make you take it on faith...they don't just stick to the standard ANSI 2 meter drops and IPX8 water resistance. They actually rate some of their lights for 100 foot drops, and 100 foot water resistance.

Maybe TWL had a bad experience with an Armytek light, but I can assure you they are generally very high quality, and designed with toughness as the first, second, and third priority. When you take value into account, certainly I personally think Armytek offers a significantly better value than Surefire or HDS.

Ryankan, I agree with you about the Fenix lights, especially the threads. The TK75 is pretty decent after you lube it, but still a little rough. And the PD32UE I own has very rough threads when compared to most of my other lights. I don't know that it is an indication of inferior build, but they definitely aren't as smooth...I think Fenix has just chosen not to focus on that.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little zombie thread action here, any new opinions? I ran a surefire G2L and then a G2X on my fire helmet for a few years and found both to be utterly reliable. I haven't put my AT lights through that type of use but I do use my wizard pro very regularly and so far it's been solid. Would it hold up to the same abuse as the surefire? Maybe... probably... has it for anybody?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the AT Viking Pro coming soon and an MD2. do we really need overbuilt lights like Malkoff?

Little zombie thread action here, any new opinions? I ran a surefire G2L and then a G2X on my fire helmet for a few years and found both to be utterly reliable. I haven't put my AT lights through that type of use but I do use my wizard pro very regularly and so far it's been solid. Would it hold up to the same abuse as the surefire? Maybe... probably... has it for anybody?

StagMoose

Enlightened
If you have kids you do[emoji16]

Lol. That is the truth.

It is true many people may not "need" a light that is extremely robust. If you are just camping and hanging out in the yard and your light dies because you dropped it, well use your spare or go get another one.

It isn't always about "need." No one has to justify their purchases to anyone but themselves. Some folks like knowing their stuff is durable and some folks don't care as much.

I tend to drop lights for whatever reason so I like knowing my flashlight can take that kind of abuse. I also spend a lot of time outside, in the woods, and away from the house. So to me it is important to have a durable light, especially because I tend to drop them. I have broken a lot of things by dropping them. Malkoff lights aren't one of those things. Everyone had different "needs."

I prefer to buy stuff made in the USA as much as possible. In our global marketplace that is becoming increasingly difficult, and I know, not all parts on all USA made lights are made in the USA, but it is important to me to do what I can. It may not be to others and that is their business.

wweiss

Enlightened
The Predator Pro v3 is a great compact thrower. I have the warm version and it outperforms my Malkoff Hound Dog as to brightness, configurability and utility by a really huge margin. The Malkoff seems like clunky, ancient tech compared to it. Double seals, configurabilty and excellent manufacturing make this a great value for the money.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I'd love to see some Beamshots of that light compared to your HD.

Certainly looks like it has a nice feature set at a reasonable price point. Cranking out 1400 Lumens, but no stated candela/ lux rating. I have no Armytek experience, so I can't offer any opinion on them other than I wish they weren't covered in writing. They have piqued my interest on a number of occasions though, and this one says made in Canada. Looks like a solid Hound Dog 18650 XT competitor at about half the price with some programmable configurations.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are made in China for their whole product line as far as I know. Very deceptive marketing.

wweiss

Enlightened
I will try to get an HD and PP comparison beam shot later today. A whitewall, however, shows little of the difference - I hate beamshots...

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I don't own any Armytek, but I saw this thread in the LED section: [h=1]Another one bites the dust... 7th armytek wizard crapped out.[/h]At my job, I have carried Malkoff for years and they are really used a lot and dropped constantly from different heights. No problems whatsoever. Malkoff has some E series heads that throw pretty far now in a small format as well as the larger Hound Dog. That is not where my needs lie for work, but I would imagine they are just as durable. Nothing was worse for me, than years ago when I had cheap lights, that would break in the middle of the night when I still had plenty of work left. Surefire 6P was my first smaller light and it never let me down, but upgraded it when LEDs came out with a Malkoff drop in. I definitely trust Malkoff lights.