Built My First Streamlight Stinger Dropin

djblank87

Enlightened
Congrats Gene on the SL Stinger drop-in those would be a great addition to you current line up. Hope to see them in production soon as I'm sure they would sell like hotcakes as always. :thumbsup:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A drop in for the SL Strion would also be nice. Maybe with a rebel 100? It seems the Strion is becoming more popular than the Stinger these days espically with police officers because of its smaller size.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
A rebel mounted on a star with the regulator tacked on the back and connected into the lamp base for the strion. Also you need to saw off the thin neck on the strion reflector. I have to get around to getting a rebel star. My strion is running a Luxeon III on a star currently.

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
My UltraStinger wants more lumens!!!!!!! Or at least the same with a much l-o-n-g-e-r runtime. I'm holding out on an incan bulb and battery upgrade to see what magic Gene can perform... My PolyStinger could use some help too.

Last edited:

crazeeman13

Newly Enlightened
Sign me up if your do a Strion upgrade. It seems to be the new choice for alot of us LEOs on the duty belt.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
As for the Strion upgrade, I am still smoothing out the kinks in the design. I have to find a way to prevent the danged emitter from shorting out on the reflector base and then I want to see if I can drill out a hole large enough in the reflector (darn you have to keep the reflector its got the threads to the head and body...) to fit an McR reflector. On top of that I need a thinner star board and a regulator board that is equally thin and will fit in the strion (aka a sandwich, but no luck for one that fits totally right). So give me a month or three ( I am a junior in high school so I am wicked busy). Eventually I think I will either utilize an RB80 star or a Seoul P4 Ubin on a star. Both will either use stock reflector with a larger hole or a drilled out reflector to accommodate an McR reflector (most likely McR10 rebel, or 16 seoul.) However, I have been finding that I like the incan beam more than the LED:grin2: personal preference, but I will be working on an LED drop in due to efficiency. PM me for further info. Thermal management is even tougher in the strion, has to live on the star board to survive.

Last edited:

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Oh crap :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez: let me emphasize a point i forgot above, no standard sandwich module will fit without impeding the reflectors ability to collect light, so really if you use a sandwich you have to use a McR and sawed up reflector:shakehead.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Now see, that just ain't right. I see Gene posting that he has the Stinger drop-in up and running only to find that this is an old thread that got bumped. Somebody's gonna get coal in their stocking for that ....

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
Yes but Gene replied as recently as 12/05 that he had some prototypes, but hadn't dedicated a LOT of build time due to other projects.

txgp17

Enlightened
I'll be more than happy to buy one when they come out. I've already bought two of Gene's M60's, and I'm waiting on the Mag-D's to get back in stock.

I gave my brother an Inova T4 last year, but he would flip out if he had a 230 lumen drop-in for his stinger.

txgp17

Enlightened
Does anyone know the rear hole diameter on the standard head.

Gene Malkoff
It's Exactly 0.200"
And it's 0.818" tall when lying with the benzyl face down.
stinger%20001.jpg

stinger%20002.jpg

Last edited:

chokker

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 or 4 stingers, I would be willing to bet that there are more stingers out there than surefire's.

thevainone

Newly Enlightened
i emailed gene after i got my m60 about 3months ago and he stated he wasnt going to produce any drop ins for the stinger due to the small pinsize light opening :sigh:

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
Say it ain't so!! Wonder if there's still hope for my Ultra Stinger? Although my poly Stinger needs help the mostest. :candle: