Burnt E2e KL1 -- RESTORATION COMPLETED!!!!!

Stage Tech

Newly Enlightened
Re: Burnt E2e KL1 -> FIRE!! ** I FOUND THE HEAD!! **MUST SEE THIS

Oh...I get it now...I tought the name was too familiar with the tractor company...
Wow !
In Surefire We Trust.

Burgess

Flashaholic

R.I.P.

Rest In Pieces

:poof::(

_

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't want to be the atagonist here, but it really does take a lot to break a flashlight.

For an LED based light it is incredibly hard to damage an LED especially to damage the die and bondwires that are the heart and arteries. The electronics are a bit more fragile, but any body or tailcap can be shredded and burned but as long as it still connects from the butt to the head power will flow.

I think it's amazing to see how much damage people can do to lights, but it's not that surprising that they light up.

Az_Tibor

Newly Enlightened

I still found it kinda odd that the bottom half of the head isn't screwed to the top...more like it was glued together... or held together with the PCB. It would seem like the design compromised a weak spot on the bezel
The bottom half of the head isn't screwed to the top half of the head - the bottom half and top half both have female threads, and there is the middle heatsink piece that has male threads on both ends. In these pictures, I see the lower half of the head split in two pieces. (It appears to have failed at the point where the female threading for the heatsink and the female threading for the body meet. I'd need to do some disassembly to check one of my lights, but I think I recall that the heatsink threads have a larger diameter, creating a small ledge that holds the battery-positive terminal and plastic retainer.) You can see it in these two pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/askillet/KL1Fire/IMG_2168.jpg
Above, the inner ring with the four notches is the bottom of the heatsink, while the outer ring is the portion of the lower bezel that threads onto the heatsink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/askillet/KL1Fire/IMG_2169.jpg
Above, you can clearly see the line where the upper bezel and lower bezel meet - and as Skillet pointed out, the portion of the head that threads onto the body was still attached to the body.

You are correct that it is a (comparatively) weak spot in the design, though.

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened

I think everybody should take one of their favorite lights and do something crazy with it to see how it holds up
evilgrin07.gif
. Then post pictures(kinda like beamshots) so we can check it out. Once a week , untill everybody has done at least one:naughty: You all go first , then I've got this mag solitare that I've want to put a firecracker in for about 20 years, so I'll go last:poof: JUST KIDDING OF COURSE:shakehead

tango44

Enlightened

Send it back to Surefire and let's see what they say or do?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, just put it together as much as you can...send it in with a simple note. "Not working right...please repair, thank you".

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, just put it together as much as you can...send it in with a simple note. "Not working right...please repair, thank you".

send them a link to this thread. I'm sure if they have any questions they can check it out here. Not working indeed.

skillet

Enlightened

I got a reply from Surefire today.. They appreciated my inquiry and directed me to the new "brighter, longer running" E2L.. :)

I would also like to let it be known, that I did not contact Surefire with the intent of getting my son's light replaced. I just thought they might get a kick out of the damage. In no way was it their obligation or responsibility to replace a light that was damaged/destroyed due to my son's misfortune.

Thanks for everyones comments and the like..

Gordon aka:skillet

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a reply from Surefire today.. They appreciated my inquiry and directed me to the new "brighter, longer running" E2L..

So what does that mean? While they directed you to the "new...E2L," did SF replace your light or not?

skillet

Enlightened

Surefire is not going to replace the light... I didn't ask or expect them too.. I just thought they might like to see the destruction...

seale_navy

Enlightened

so surefire CS are not going to do anything about the burned and destroyed e2e?

they should u know. If they can replace a broken light drop from a clift.. due to one negligence, then it should be the same analogy as dropping it in the fire accidentally.

the reasoning of coming to a decision of a replacement due to the light failing from the clift.. or the torch damage in a battlefield is all accidental damage because we as user subject the light to that force. we use them in dangerous situation , odd and weird circumstances that os why we buy them in the 1st place so they are build to last.. in my humble opinion the same should be applied to accidental fire because fire is just a force of damage.. accidental is the catalyst to the force, we as human created that catalyst hence the same analogy..

anyway.. if I were in ur position, I would try to get it replaced at least with a e2e, the KL1 head let it be, a loss. at least u get something back an e2e though without the KL1. I am sure they would appreciate ur reasonableness.

though it might seem as "taking advantage" but not to the obvious extent. Surefire warranty may be seem limited and strict but at the end of the day its still at their discretion, if they replace it, its good if not.. nothing can be done..

better to try than not..

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

They won't replace or even warranty any light unless you ask. Beyond that they won't warranty any light unless you bought it from an official dealer and that you are the original owner (by your honor I guess cause they don't check). I asked them to repair a broken light once and got the run-around about buying it from the internets. I called back a few times and finally got someone who would help me. Persistence is key to getting surefire to back up their warranty. Sadly I had less trouble with Princeton Tec and Streamlight than with surefire. Maybe I'm on their poop list?

seale_navy

Enlightened

They won't replace or even warranty any light unless you ask. Beyond that they won't warranty any light unless you bought it from an official dealer and that you are the original owner (by your honor I guess cause they don't check). I asked them to repair a broken light once and got the run-around about buying it from the internets. I called back a few times and finally got someone who would help me. Persistence is key to getting surefire to back up their warranty. Sadly I had less trouble with Princeton Tec and Streamlight than with surefire. Maybe I'm on their poop list?

hey carbine15..

what do u mean by u got the run-around buying it from the internet?

Pelican warranty is the best when it comes to this situation.

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened

Surefire is not going to replace the light... I didn't ask or expect them too.. I just thought they might like to see the destruction...
I agree with you on not trying to get a new light for free. It's unfortunate that your sons pride and joy got thrown into a fire.... but thats life s--t happens. It made for some interesting pictures and comments. In my opinion trying to get them to replace it is just wrong, everybody here knows that the warranty does not cover dropping your light in a fire. I appreciate the great story and the pictures.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very sad indeed! :shakehead

You should post the pics in this THREAD

I think you'd be at the very least, tied for the most beat up light... :poke: