Burnt E2e KL1 -- RESTORATION COMPLETED!!!!!

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
:faint: I didn't expect it to clean up that well...

Another thumbs-up for Surefire - and your Dremmel skills.
:twothumbs

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those special pieces you used on the dremel? Brass brushes? Not sure I have seen those before.... might be good to have as part of my dremel setup...

Thanks.

DM51

Flashaholic
That is amazing - I would never have believed you would be able to resuscitate it. Excellent work!

You must send this story & pics to Surefire - I'm sure they would be interested to hear about it.

Maybe this will be the start of a market for "distressed" lights - in the same way that some people buy jeans with holes etc already in them...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought SureFires look better after some wear and tear, but that's something else! Very interesting colour it has turned out, too.

Shame that the KL1 couldn't be salvaged, but that's understandable.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those special pieces you used on the dremel? Brass brushes? Not sure I have seen those before.... might be good to have as part of my dremel setup...

Thanks.
Dremel makes those and they're available where you buy Dremel and accessories for it.

Great looking light. Could the head be revived by pulling the guts out of a different head and substituted the parts into this one or is it too far gone for that?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gordon, that's amazing!
+1 on sending the story and pics to SF; it's the kind of stuff they like to hear about their lights.

Too bad the original KL1 wasn't salvageable. However, I'm sure one of the resident modders/machinists could make you a new bottom bezel part, and you'd be in business again (OK, after some gut-replacing, but at least the "shell" would be all original and charred & resurrected.

I'm amazed to see the optic survived (mostly). That's some tough material! (whatever it is).

skillet

Enlightened
Can anyone council me on how the lens comes out of the bezel.. I thought when I got some time in a few days I might try to buff the lens and see if will clear up and also clean up the bezel end as well..

That will just leave the bottom half to "replace" as GreenLED suggested...

Thanks in advance!!!
Gordon

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it would be the same as taking the head head off...by boiling them for about 5 minutes to break up the adhesive...that's assuming the galss didn't melt and "deform".

FS...E2L-BT

Great story...Love to see the persaverance of fellow flashaholics...I would never let one of my lights "die"...if it got ran over and crushed, I'd bend it back, and duct tape it up!!! Great story!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Can anyone council me on how the lens comes out of the bezel.. I thought when I got some time in a few days I might try to buff the lens and see if will clear up and also clean up the bezel end as well..

Thanks in advance!!!
Gordon
Gordon, once you get the optic out (sorry, no real suggestion as to how to accomplish that, other than what GB said), may I suggest you use Flitz polishing compound to buff out any imperfections? It works great on optics. You can use toothpaste too, BTW.

Good luck!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks in advance!!!
Gordon
I don't expect the optic to be useable... it is plastic and most everything else that was plastic on that light is charred, only thing would be "when" the head came off... The battery might have exploded earlier and sent the head away before it got damaged from basking in the heat.

Take two strap wrenches in opposite directions and use some elbow grease. It is threaded together where the seam is about half way down the head.

This thread shows a surefire head opened... to give you an idea. It's not the same as your head, I think your head only has one seam, and a screw out retaining ring holding the optic in from the inside.

skillet

Enlightened
Well, the lens and Bezel are in tact and very usable... The inside assembly that contained the optic and the LED... not so much

The optic melted and is turned to concrete.. it even ran out of the hole where the wires were connected to the circuit board... I've tried boiling and heat with less than successful results.. I guess I could just torch it again and melt the optic out.. Haven't decided.. but anyway..

Oh, by the by.. I need that little plastic piece that helps retain the clip.. Who can help me out..

I'm gonna try to contact Surefire true stories this week with the details of this light's resurrection...

Thanks everybody..
Gordon aka:skillet

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a feeling your going to win for best story this month. :thumbsup:

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Very nice resoration.

It's late in the thread for this bit of information, but for future reference, nitric acid does not attack aluminum hardly at all. I once used some concentrated nitric to eat out a busted tap in a piece of costly machined aluminum. It took a few days, but worked fine with a barely noticeable effect on the aluminum's surface finish.