Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said nbp! :clap:

Now I need a sandwich. Sadly all I have is a half loaf of stale Ciabatta. We may have to get creative this morning.

You can fix that stale ciabatta I'm thinking by preheating your oven to around 3-400 fahrenheit, sticking the bread in there for maybe 3-5 mins (keep an eye on it, it's hot in there) and then taking it out and letting it cool.

Remember that bread must always be BUTTERED no matter what. You can add other things like mayo etc later.

Well spoken Acid!

and that is why you have to squish it :)

I shall put my chunky butt on it :thumbsup:

nbp, I kinda think tartar sauce sucks anyway..

For me, it's a Ham, Sweet mustard pickle and Mayo.

The ham's just there so my wife doesn't think I'm odd. I'd be just as happy without it.
:crackup:

I really had no idea you were from the UK DM51!
Next you will be saying your a lady too......

If so, we shall require nekkid pictures :crackup:

By the way, I hate to say this 'cause I'll prolly get banned but I hate mustard and I don't like horseradish either. Not that the horseradish limits my choices of food a lot but I know lotsa stuff has mustard in it and about the only thing I eat with mustard is deviled eggs. Don't taste it much in there.

So, am I still a member here...? :naughty:

nbp

Flashaholic
Barely!!

I love mustard. Yellow, brown, Dijon, stoneground, spicy, honey, whatever. They're all good.

I am so hungry for a sandwich right now. This thread keeps doing that!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I once made my own Horseradish sauce, one of the old chaps at the pub told me where to look for it growing at the roadside. So, I manage to find some and then started to work. First, you have to clean and peel it (starting to get a burning sensation at the back of my throat), then you have to finely grate it (oh my God - eyes streaming, shortness of breath, the wole lot). It was the best Horseradish sauce I have ever tasted, but a lot of work and discomfort to get there.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Hmmm... personal favorite is Oroweat Country Potato bread, butter, plenty of JiF Creamy peanut butter and either sweet pickle relish or potato chips. I've never been a fan of adding anything really sweet - jam, jelly, bananas - to peanut butter. (And it's not an aversion to sweet - I'll eat raspberry jam out of the jar with a spoon. ;)

In case anyone's wondering ... both of those started out as "sides" when I was a kid - mother's homemade bread and butter pickles, originally. But as time went on they both found their way INTO the sandwich, and once mom's homemade pickles were no longer available - I went to the relish.

Qoose

Enlightened
You know, I think it's time to change ways.

For the longest time, memories dating back to elementary school, I didn't like mustard. That meant I didn't touch anything with mustard, much less stick it in mouth. These days I will tolerate it, but I would never consciously put mustard on any food item, but I have had a sandwich here that has had a dab of it, and I do appreciate an animal style double double (mustard fried burger). Good enough to get the acquired taste hopefully.

I've decided that my shopping trip tomorrow is going to include the tastiest looking jar of mustard I see. Here's to some tastier sandwiches!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Just finished my lunch of Mrs Noggins home made Quiche - yum! Oh, I had a ham and mustard roll at break time too.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
p.s. Fancy coming to the meet up in Virgina Water?

Seconded!!

No matter what the filling - if the bread's stale, the sandwich is lacking - toasting for cheese is acceptable - but nothing beats a fresh crusty large poppy seeded Bloomer IMHO.

This thread has made me decide what to have for lunch - I'm off to Waitrose for some fresh cut ham and crusty bread - I already have the mustard - Forward!!!!!!

BTW - has anyone tried smoked mackerel and plum mixed with horseradish sauce - yumsk!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smoked fish sounds good and dammit, I love quiche.

Does anyone have Panera bread (a chain) close to them? They have this quiche they make in the morning with broccoli and cheese. If you get them hot, they're amazing.

nbp

Flashaholic
Smoked fish sounds good and dammit, I love quiche.

Does anyone have Panera bread (a chain) close to them? They have this quiche they make in the morning with broccoli and cheese. If you get them hot, they're amazing.

Yup, we've got Panera. I like them, I've eaten most of their sandwiches, and have been pretty pleased with them. I fancy the chipotle chicken if you have the chance. Toasted french bread, sliced chicken, cheddar cheese, bacon, tomatoes and chipotle sauce. :drool: I could eat like three of those at a time if my metabolism would allow it. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, I was at a local restaurant, and I saw by the cash register a tin with pens in it for signing CC reciepts, and it was a big Colman's mustard powder tin. So it does exist!! I must find this mustard!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hunt for the mustard is on. Don't forget to try the little quiches or whatever they call them. Small things so you can eat two of them or so. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
I used some French's Spicy Brown mustard on my ham sandwich today. It was good, but not as zingy as the dijon. Oh well. I guess I like my mustard hot.

I'm having sloppy joe's tonight, so I am looking forward to that. Anything slathered in BBQ sauce is good in my opinion. I really like BBQ sauce.

Come to think of it, I really like condiments and sauces in general. Mayo, mustard, steak sauce, BBQ sauce, salad dressing, salsa, sour cream, butter; I like all that stuff. If I can smear, squirt or scoop a topping on something, I probably will. Anyone else a condiment junkie?

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Oh yeah - mayo, pickle, mustard, ketchup, chilli sauce, horseradish, mint sauce, chutney etc etc.....

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget Tartare Sauce!

A must with the Humble Fish Finger sandwich.

Chopped Parsley, capers, pickled gerkins, and coriander if you have any - then add some horseradish sauce and a lot of mayonnaise and a great big squeeze of lemon juice. Very nice with any kind of fish.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used some French's Spicy Brown mustard on my ham sandwich today. It was good, but not as zingy as the dijon. Oh well. I guess I like my mustard hot.

I'm having sloppy joe's tonight, so I am looking forward to that. Anything slathered in BBQ sauce is good in my opinion. I really like BBQ sauce.

Come to think of it, I really like condiments and sauces in general. Mayo, mustard, steak sauce, BBQ sauce, salad dressing, salsa, sour cream, butter; I like all that stuff. If I can smear, squirt or scoop a topping on something, I probably will. Anyone else a condiment junkie?

nbp, did you see the link?

Status
Not open for further replies.