C2 Aspherical XR-E R2 EZ900

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I have a bored SF C2 host and would love to make it a real thrower, using an aspherical lens. I know that an XR-E R2 EZ900 is the way to go, and that can be obtained from Vinh or Nailbender. My question is can I ever get close to the lux range in this C2, as say a Dereelight DBS-T? I know that with a aspherical lense, the DBS-T does around 90k Lux @ 1 meter. What can I achieve with a basic bored SF C2 XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspherical set up, and what can I do to increase the lux to be comparable with the dereelight if it already is not?

Thanks in advance!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried this a long time ago before the Deft EDC. I used my bored our Surefire C2 as a host and Dereelight 3SD pill. To cut a long story short, I doubt you will achieve 40,000 lux.

The only way is to send your C2 to Michael in Texas. If you lucky, you may end up with 76,000 lux :)

davyro

Enlightened
If you buy the aspherical head from Dereelight it comes with the XRE R2 EZ900 installed so to get your 90,000 lux all you'll need is your body & switch

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
I tried this a long time ago before the Deft EDC. I used my bored our Surefire C2 as a host and Dereelight 3SD pill. To cut a long story short, I doubt you will achieve 40,000 lux.

The only way is to send your C2 to Michael in Texas. If you lucky, you may end up with 76,000 lux :)

Who is Michael in Texas and what exactly does he do, haha? Thanks

If you buy the aspherical head from Dereelight it comes with the XRE R2 EZ900 installed so to get your 90,000 lux all you'll need is your body & switch

Right, but I can not attach the aspherical head from dereelight with the XRE R2 EZ900 in it right onto my C2 body can I?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who is Michael in Texas and what exactly does he do, haha? Thanks

Right, but I can not attach the aspherical head from dereelight with the XRE R2 EZ900 in it right onto my C2 body can I?

That is correct, the Dereelight aspheric will not fit on your Surefire C2 body.

yifu

Enlightened
I have the exact same setup here. With a EZ1000 at 2A, it's around 23k lux, with a EZ900, it's around 27K lux. With a XPC i think it would do 30k+ lux. If you want the best performance, send it to Mike (Saabluster) to modify it into a DEFT EDC LR+, with around 70k lux. It is not a reversible mod though, as he sands down the threads to make way for the electronics. BTW im using a 27.2mm Ahorton P60 aspheric spacer kit, and you'll have to remove the lens to fit.
img00321ac.jpg

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I wonder how so much more lux can be squeezed out of a deft setup?

Yifu, how far woukd you say your C2 throws? Also, with the aspherical lense, can you still add a bezel ring, or a what about something like a cyros crenulated cooling head? Thanks!

yifu

Enlightened
Jalcon, the reason for the DEFT EDC LR+'s throw is due to a colimator type lens that traps all the spill beam and directs them to the hotspot. With a normal DEFT EDC, which doesn't have this special lens, the throw is around 35k-40k lux, which is nearly what you get with the setup im using, provided you've got an XPC pill.

As for the bezel ring, you can, and i recommend you to use a crenulated one to protect the lens from scratches.

As for the realistic throw, you can expect at least 100-150m of useful range, and more with an XP-C or if you dedome it. But the good thing about this setup is that you can have virtually any LED, from an XML (huge and bright hotspot) to a SST90 (even bigger hotspot) to a dedomed XR-E. Out of all the P60 drop ins, this has the best throw and flexibility.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
When you say, this is the.best setup, are you referring to the deft or c2 with aspherical? Is the.xp-c actually better than the xre ez900 for throw? What does dedomed mean? Thanks again for.the.newb questions! As far as 100-150 meterz, i have to say i thought itd be more.than.that...my sf fury seems.to do.around.that, i figured.an.aspherical would.totallh blow that away? Sorry for this punctuation, im on my .phone!

yifu

Enlightened
I meant the ahorton kit, as it gives you more flexibility since its reversible. However if you want ultimate throw in a P60 host, the DEFT 's the way to go but its not reversible.

As for throw, it depends on what your notion of useable throw is. Going by the golden standard of 1 lux, its around 170 metres with an XRE. A Xpc throws a bit better. As for dedoming, you remove (or get vinh to) the silicon dome of an LED. This reduces the viewing angle of the LED from 120 degrees to 90 degrees, thus increasing surface brightnessand hence throw. Lumen loss is about 20% as the controlled environment is lost.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
So is it kind of a misconception that the best drop in for aspherical throw is an xr-e ez900? Also, if the C2 aspherical I make can only do around 150-200 meters, what advantage does it really have over the Fury? i guess I assumed since the Lux of the aspherical C2 I can make is roughly triple that of the Fury, I figured the aspherical would absolutely blow it out of the water.

yifu

Enlightened
Ok, let me get this straight, a Surefire Fury is around 11-12k lux. A C2 with an XP-C and ahorton aspheric is 30k+. This 3 times increase in lux and the lack of spill makes the C2 throw much better than a Fury. Like i said, it depends on what your standard or throw is. I have seen a Fury in action and for me, i consider it to throw only 70-80 m effectively only. The XPC configuration throws around 200m by my standard. A DEFT EDC LR+ would do 400m without any problem effectively.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Ok, let me get this straight, a Surefire Fury is around 11-12k lux. A C2 with an XP-C and ahorton aspheric is 30k+. This 3 times increase in lux and the lack of spill makes the C2 throw much better than a Fury. Like i said, it depends on what your standard or throw is. I have seen a Fury in action and for me, i consider it to throw only 70-80 m effectively only. The XPC configuration throws around 200m by my standard. A DEFT EDC LR+ would do 400m without any problem effectively.

Right on, and makes sense. Thanks alot for your help on the subject. Do you the guy in this video is pretty much full of it then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dwaU6DOTU

go to 1:30 where he claims to be lighting up something at 350 yards fairy easily.

Also, it would be awesome if someone made an adapter so that you could attach the dereelight aspherical head to a SF P60 host :devil:

yifu

Enlightened
In that case, by his standards a EDC LR+ will throw 2 miles :) It depends on what defines throw. ANSI FL1 defines it as distance to 0.25lux, which is the intensity of a full moon, distance to 1 lux is considered by others to be an objective standard as well. But really there's a huge difference between knowing something is there (seeing little reflections), seeing it's basic shape and knowing exactly what it is.

As for the DBS head, the costs of doing a small run of the adapter would be too much and is unnecessary, since a DBS is 75-80k lux depending on the lux meter, which the LR+ hits just be itself in a smaller head.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Right. So again, is it a common misconception, that the bed drop in to pair an aspherical lense with is a XR-E EZ900? And that the XP-C is actually better? Also, since dedoming makes it focus tighter, is that the way to go? And is there any disadvantage to that? Other than losing viewing angle?

yifu

Enlightened
Using an XPC overdriven to 1.4A or so, you will get around a 20% increase in lux over the EZ900 die but you get less overall output (350 LED lumens vs 200 LED lumens) and the hotspot is smaller. Dedoming will give betwenn 20-70% increase in lux, depending on the LED. With XR-Es you should expect at least 30% increase. The downside is that once you remove the dome, the substrate loses its controlled environment and loses around 30% of its output due to lowered efficiency. This has been verified by my and other CPFers' tests in integrating spheres. So less lumens more lux basically, as the spill beam created by the dome is directed towards the hotspot(the focus remains unchanged).

Lastly, if you do plan on getting an aspheric drop in, the Ahorton spacer kit is really the only way to go. Don't try to skimp by buying off DX or something. The ahorton aspheric has an extremely short focal length and by that virtue is the only aspheric lens that would focus tightly in a P60 environment. It is also made of optical glass, which is clearer than the plastic variants.