Caffeine pills?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
excedrin is a good source of caffeine that is dosesable and also comes with asprin which is good for you.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Lots of good advice here. The only thing I'd care to add is my own personal suspicion of tablet-ized caffeine (other than Excedrin and knock-offs). It would be so easy to ingest a very dangerous dose of caffeine that way. At least coffee forces you to spread out the dose over time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
TRC,
Your opinions, etc. about the Rx industry are understandable. Just keep in mind that 30 years ago PROPRANOLOL was the gee-whiz wonder drug.

Dave, R.Ph. (ret)

Frangible

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Lots of good advice here. The only thing I'd care to add is my own personal suspicion of tablet-ized caffeine (other than Excedrin and knock-offs). It would be so easy to ingest a very dangerous dose of caffeine that way. At least coffee forces you to spread out the dose over time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The LD50 for caffeine is quite high, I don't think you'll have to worry about an overdose.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all else fails try one of those caffiene drinks that have no sugar , and no sugar substitutes like:

AMPEHTAMINE SODA

its crisp and clean
its pure caffiene
no sugar no taste
nothing to waste
keeps you up for 20 days
improves your life many ways
get it today at your local store
be more wired than a crack whore
load your brain like a spring
in any sport improve you swing
it doesnt bubble, there is no fizz
its guarenteed to make you wizz
when you need that massive blast
Amphetamine Soda is sure to last.

Amphetamine Soda® is a registered trademark of the Daisy drug company, with no affiliation to CocaCola :)

Frangible

Enlightened
Unfortunately, caffeine isn't really related to amphetamine, and even amphetamine isn't quite that strong :p

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the caffeine pills are much too strong for one dose from my personal experience. I have read and what works for me is that smaller doses spread out over time is much more effective for continued alertness.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
like everything discussed on the internet you certainly get a lot of anecdotal information here on stuff like drugs and diet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Let me give you some more!

I have come to agree that cutting down on sugar, even if you don't cut down much on overall calories is a good thing. Fewer raging changes in your blood sugar and insulin levels lead me at least to a more balanced mental attitude during the day. I've also lost almost 15 pounds over the last few months which doesn't hurt my feelings either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif A few more months and I"m going to have to buy new pants!

I haven't done anything to cut out caffein at all though. I was never a large imbiber of the stuff, 2 cups of coffee in the morning or as I start to work and maybe a soda in the afternoon or with lunch. I've continued to drink the coffee and switched to a diet soda (if you like mountain dew, diet mountain dew, especially the code red variety really doesn't taste all that much worse in it's diet variety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

With that level of intake for me I do not suffer any ill effects by skipping a day, or even a whole weekend from the coffee and when I do that I don't supplement it with extra soda or pills or anything else. Like anything else the dose makes the poison and you need to find the place where're you're not dependent on it for feeling good, and below that threshold there isn't any evidence that it's bad for you in any way that I've ever read. Even at doses considerably above that it's not going to hurt you unless you are already prone to migraines or something like that. Caffein is one of those things that we all consume regularly and so there have been a lot of attempts to link it to something bad. There are individuals who are affected by it more, or in a more negative way than others, but for the vast majority or people it's quite safe and quite harmless. This is true of any active substance you ingest, some people will react badly to it. in this case though the statistics are on your side and it's unlikely that you will turn out to be one of those that gets their migraines or other issues aggravated by it.

That being said I'd certainly think that you won't actually like taking the pills. They are a whopping dose. My one experience with them in college was not a happy affair. Jittery, buzzy, yucky feeling, but no more awake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm one of those people for whom caffein won't keep awake, but will keep me from getting to sleep. So I'm awake and useless rather than sleeping and getting better... But feel free to experiment, a few pills will not hurt you in any way. But keep in mind that if you're not addicted to it now with the coffee and the soda you definitely will become so if you take the pills daily for any length of time and then coming off it will be harder than just cutting back a little now.

Interestingly enough, for me the sugar was actually harder to get rid of than the caffein. Switching to a diet soda when I used to drink several of them a day actually caused me MORE problems than giving up coffee for a weekend did. I was so used to getting that huge sugar rush in the afternoon that when I didn't get it I got many of the same symptoms that people can blame on caffein withdrawal or other things! I was miserable. Initially I thought I was allergic to artificial sweeteners or something, but replacing the diet soda with unsweet iced or herbal tea produced the same problems. Once I got used to not having that huge boost of sugar though, I feel much better and don't crave that soda anymore. I still have a diet one as a special treat once in a while, but caffein or not I don't crave it like I used to.

Once you get over the sugar addiction you'll start to feel much better no matter what you do about the caffein. I wouldn't worry about the caffein so much. Get some through another means, or just go cold turkey. It's the sugar thats really causing you grief I'll bet. In any case, in a few more days you'll be over the worse of either one. Even when I was drinking a dozen cups of mocha a day at one job (they had this HORRIBLE machine that made HORRIBLE coffee but you coudl also have it add cocoa to it which made something not unlike a mocha) and so addicted to caffein that skipping a dose was dangerous, it only took 3 or 4 days until I felt normal without it.

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
VidPro said:
If all else fails try one of those caffiene drinks that have no sugar , and no sugar substitutes like:

AMPEHTAMINE SODA

its crisp and clean
its pure caffiene
no sugar no taste
nothing to waste
keeps you up for 20 days
improves your life many ways
get it today at your local store
be more wired than a crack whore
load your brain like a spring
in any sport improve you swing
it doesnt bubble, there is no fizz
its guarenteed to make you wizz
when you need that massive blast
Amphetamine Soda is sure to last.

Amphetamine Soda® is a registered trademark of the Daisy drug company, with no affiliation to CocaCola :)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Thanks for the poem!!!