Calif Jury Duty - Valid Excuse

switchoff

Newly Enlightened
Don't make your excuse more complicated than need be...just tell the judge that you're a racist and hate everybody but yourself...start swearing and freaking out like you have tourette's sydrome mixed in with a little attention-deficit disorder. That should work just fine :)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Biker Bear said:
What I find interesting is how they could possibly do ANYTHING to you for ignoring the "Summons" - when there's no way on earth they can prove you GOT it. They're certainly not sent Registered Mail or anything where there's proof of delivery.
My sentiments exactly. Our mailman seems to regularly give us other people's mail, and I'm sure other people have gotten our mail. If someone gets someone else's jury duty summons by mistake and tosses it, or if it's just plain lost in the mail, or if you moved then they obviously wouldn't know to appear.

Also, I suspect that in instances where you call in to see if you need to report the state may well use that as confirmation that you received the summons. It's certainly easy enough to do with today's technology and a list of last known phone numbers. That gets the state off the hook if you're called and fail to appear. I've yet to hear of anyone, at least in New York, actually getting fined or going to jail for just ignoring a jury summons. As I and Biker Bear said, the state really has no proof you received the summons in the first place. It would probably be cost prohibitive to send these things via return receipt (and a significant number would be returned if the person wasn't home).

Nebula said:
Soapbox - Jury duty is a civic duty. Everyone should serve.
You're entitled to your opinion but others here may differ so I'll get started on my soapbox. I personally don't put much stock in trial by jury nor do I feel I have a moral right to render a judgement on a person which may cost them many years of their life, a large amount of money, or even their life in extreme cases. Second and much more important, the sheer number of both criminal trials and litigation have turned jury duty from a tolerable once or twice in a lifetime thing to an annual ritual in many localities. Sorry but most people can't devote a week every year to sitting around a filthy courtroom waiting to be impaneled. We've already seen several people here start threads on how disruptive this is. If I wanted a job in the courts I would have been a judge or a lawyer. I personally can't stand anything having to do with the legal system. I also don't feel people should be compelled to serve jury duty. Just for practical reasons I question how effective or impartial someone how doesn't want to be there will be. I think a system of full-time paid professional jurors would be much better, or better yet use lie detectors to determine guilt or innocence, and then let the lawyers argue mitigating circumstances to the judge before sentencing.

My suggestion to everyone else who feels as I do is to write your legislators often and get the laws dealing with jury duty changed, especially anything making it mandatory. Maybe if it was much harder to get jurors we would see a reduction in frivolous cases in the courts. And jury duty pay should at least equal the prevailing wage of the locality. That would be about $120 a day in NYC. Doing that one thing alone would likely result in enough volunteers to fill the needed quotas without resorting to "drafting" people.

Both federal and state law require that an employer release an employee for JD. No way around it.
Well, I had one employer that if they were in a busy time they fired you for being absent for jury duty. Of course they'll officially give some other reason for firing you. If they weren't busy you could go but you lost that day's pay and you had to give them your jury duty check as compensation for the disruption caused by your unplanned absence. It doesn't matter if it's illegal or not but many employers make life difficult if they need you at a time when you're called for jury duty. So basically for many people jury duty is a choice between getting fined by the courts for not appearing, losing pay, or losing your job. I can't respect any system that puts its citizens in such a position.

Nebula

Enlightened
jtr1962 - I have no intention of hijacking this thread but I do feel compelled to respond to your comments. I also have no expectation that I can change your mind - and frankly I would not want to even if I could. Freedom of expression is one of the many freedoms that you and I share. Our shared freedoms come from our shared Constitution. A Constitution that was crafted largely by the very men - or sons of the very men - that suffered under a legal system that existed largely as a rubber stamp to the Crown. Come to think of it, not all that dissimilar to the one you suggest. To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin "Democracy is the worst form of government. That is until you experience the others."

It is obvious that you feel that the system is broken in many ways. I have no reason to disagree. Certainly there are problems, but there are problems in any system of government. Just take a moment and give some thought to the millions of people in the world that would trade everything they have just to live in this country under our system of justice, with the right to a jury trial. You see as much as you refuse to accept that jury duty is a civic responsibility - and I might add a privilege that not every one gets -the very reasons you cite for not serving are the very reasons you SHOULD serve. Jurors deliberate. Who knows, your position might keep someone from going to prison.

BTW - Both you and Biker Bear should know that there is no requirement under federal or state law - that I am aware of - which requires personal service of a jury summons. A JD summons is deemed served WHEN MAILED. The state only has to "prove" that the summons was mailed. That my friend is easily done. As I stated above, Biker Bear got lucky.

One more thing - The use of the lie detector was deemed unreliable and scientifically inadequate by the United States Supreme Court in 1923. There are a myriad of very good reasons that the lie detector is not used in our courts. The single biggest reason is that it cannot be made to work in a scientifically supportable manner.

Believe me when I say that I know full well how disruptive jury service can be. I also know that jurors are rarely adequately compensated. There should be a system for a just and resonable compensation. Perhaps someday. In the meantime, our legal system, warts and all is still the best legal system in the world.

Last edited:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Nebula said:
BTW - Both you and Biker Bear should know that there is no requirement under federal or state law - that I am aware of - which requires personal service of a jury summons. A JD summons is deemed served WHEN MAILED. The state only has to "prove" that the summons was mailed. That my friend is easily done. As I stated above, Biker Bear got lucky.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nebula said:
You see as much as you refuse to accept that jury duty is a civic responsibility - and I might add a privilege that not every one gets -the very reasons you cite for not serving are the very reasons you SHOULD serve. Jurors deliberate. Who knows, your position might keep someone from going to prison.
The larger problem isn't the idea of citizens serving as jurors but rather the sheer number of times this duty/burden is imposed upon the average citizen. As I said, for many it has become a yearly ritual. If you happen to get impaneled then you're free for the next four years in NYS but as you said that rarely happens. More often than not the average person nowadays spends up to a week every single year going to court waiting to be impaneled. If there was a once or twice in a lifetime limitation on being called, regardless of whether you're actually impaneled, I would probably have little problems with the system. Heck, I might have even considered volunteering at a time in my life when things were slow just to get it over with. However, once a year, or even twice if the feds have you on the list also, is just too much. In the end I don't feel you and I differ much on our positions here. I just feel the frequency of jury trials these days, and hence the need for jurors, is excessive, in part thanks to the plethora of frivolous lawsuits.

I should also add that another reason I might not be able to serve regardless of any desire to do so is the filthy condition of the courtrooms. I was in court once in my life for a cycling violation. See this post. One reason I couldn't return to court besides not having the time was the filthy condition of the court and some of the people in it. I actually felt myself getting sicker as the day wore on. Next day I had a fever which took a good week to get over. From what I understand most of the NYC courts are this bad or worse. Whether or not this would be accepted as a permanent reason to be kept off the lists I don't know. Anyway, my experiences with the legal system that day removed any shred of respect I had left for it. The judge was a nasty SOB. The court workers were mostly unprofessional (I actually wasn't even on the calender for that day even though I was supposed to be). My complaints to the acting Supreme Court Justice were fruitless (I never got back my $75). My complaints about the law itself to several legislators were equally fruitless since these idiots are keen on making laws against every little thing their constituents complain about without thinking of the effects of these laws. So much for government of, by, and for the people. It seems many of those in the system think citizens exist to serve them rather than the reverse. Others have had similar or worse experiences. Remember that the courts and police only usually have at best a few chances to make a favorable impression. In that regard I give the system a big fat F.

And if the person moved, or it really was lost? That would be prosecution without just cause which is exactly something our founding fathers would be livid about. I would love for the Supreme Court to have a look at this issue. This whole thing reeks of unconstitutionality.
One more thing - The use of the lie detector was deemed unreliable and scientifically inadequate by the United States Supreme Court in 1923. There are a myriad of very good reasons that the lie detector is not used in our courts. The single biggest reason is that it cannot be made to work in a scientifically supportable manner.
1923 technology. I'm aware of modern lie detectors with 1% or lower error rates. This is way better than juries do. I was thinking of a failsafe system of three tests. Fail all three and you're guilty. Pass only one and you're acquitted. The error rate for that would be about 1 in a million. And who knows what technology will exist in the future? We may even have the means to record someone's memories in order to have infallible evidence of guilt or innocence.

Off topic but relevant-the US has a greater percentage of the population incarcerated than just about every other civilized country yet by most measures our citizens are less safe. We simply have too many laws, too many juries, too many lawyers, too many pandering legislators. Something to think about next time you defend the system.

Also, none of my animosity at the system is directed to you personally. You seem to be a very nice and reasonable person. I wish there were more of your kind in the system but sadly this line of work usually attracts sharks or people on power trips. You also mentioned that you were an engineering student at one time. That alone means your thought process is probably more logical than 99% of the other lawyers (and judges) you'll likely encounter in court. I sincerely hope you try to make the system better from within, and to make it more responsive to the concerns of your fellow citizens. It sadly seems we're heading in the opposite direction these days. The result is people like myself who are totally disenfranchised. One day soon if things stay the same I may just pick up and live in Antarctica or some other place as far away from this nonsense as possible.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Datasaurusrex said:
Easy solution. Immediately after receiving your JD notification in the mail slap a USPS form 1500 against them (against the government office that mailed the summons).

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1500.pdf

That will PROHIBIT them from mailing you another summons. If they do mail you another summons you can actually go after them for it.
What I thought was interesting was the sole criteria for being obscene is having a $ sign followed by numbers somewhere. That alone is considered basis enough for trying to sell you something obscene. So if a jury summons says something like penalties of up to $xxx for failing to appear somewhere on it you can basically block all further mailings from that court. Something to think about...

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chances are she will be dismissed after the first day anyway. If you're not selected for the jury panel of 12, or as one of the six alternates, they'll thank you for showing up and that's the end of it. Also many civil cases are settled right before trial.

Nebula

Enlightened
jtr1962 - I really do respect and appreciate your position. And I do hope that you don't head off to Antarctica. However, if you do make the move there is a real upside - more opportunities to use your lights!

Take care, and keep advocating for changing the system. Remember that Democracy is as much about shared responsibility as shared opportunity.

One day soon if things stay the same I may just pick up and live in Antarctica or some other place as far away from this nonsense as possible.

Datasaurusrex - Let me know how that form 1500 idea of yours goes over with the judge.
:lolsign:

Greta

Flashaholic
There aren't many "excuses" that are acceptable any more in most counties around the country. I received a summons for jury duty a few weeks back and called up to get myself excused. I thought I had a very legitimate "excuse". The summons was from the county. Well... I happen to be the one who runs around the county picking up dead bodies for the county medical examiner. So if I'm stuck on jury duty, who's going to pick up those bodies? Will they wait until I'm done with jury duty? I suppose... they really can't go anywhere. But they can sure get stinky. Guess the county isn't real worried about such things as dead bodies stacking up and... well... biohazard. I did get myself excused from this one particular jury pool. But I was informed that I would be thrown back into the pool for any future juries and would need a note from my boss requesting that I be removed permanently... :rolleyes: ... feel like I'm in grade school again and need a note from my mommy so I can be excused from gym class 'cuz I broke my leg... :ironic:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
You want to beat jury duty, all it takes is knowing about jury nullification.

Research SCOTUS on Miranda (the reasons why they originally said cops had to read Miranda warnings), and then look into the cases that establish precedent on why lawyers (and the courts) are PROHIBITED from informing a jurist of their rights... and enjoy the hypocrisy... the total 'inconsistancy' of logic, reason, and justness.

If they were to apply the same reasoning for Miranda to the issue of Jury Nullification, then courts would be forced to inform a jurist of their rights prior to engaging their services. Or alternatively, SCOTUS screwed up Miranda.. one or the other imho.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
First a note, then yet another opinion....

My sister in law works for San Diego County jury comish. She said they (the jury comissioners of Calif) are working to get things as standard as possible. They have anual meetings to try to sync up things. In my county there is a spot in the summons where you can request a deferrment, and it is automatic.

Now my opinion;

The legal system is run by a bunch of folks that suffer from too much exposure to criminals. They are jaded since they've heard evey excuse and seen every atrocity. These same folks tend to treat court cases as games, where they play by rules that their clients don't understand. The failure to file the right paperwork can kill an otherwise legitimate case.

So my opinion is that the jury is there to inject a little reality and common sense into the procedures. It makes the playing ground a little more even IF..... the smart folks don't make up excuses and avoid giving their input.

The problem with the California jury system is that they want unbiased folks. This means poeple who don't read the paper or watch the news. If they have heard of the alledged crime, they are excused if they were able to understand the story and formed opinions. On top of all that, the ones who make it onto jury duty are those that can't find a clever excuse.

If I'm ever on trial, I want educated, informed people who can understand facts and make rational decisions.

Daniel

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
Off topic but relevant-the US has a greater percentage of the population incarcerated than just about every other civilized country yet by most measures our citizens are less safe. We simply have too many laws, too many juries, too many lawyers, too many pandering legislators. Something to think about next time you defend the system..

An easier way to fix the system would be to prohibit representing people in court for pay. Lawyers screw with the system and make it complicated because that makes it easy for them to get wealthy. When you go into court the judge and baliff are employees of the court, and they seem to do all right. Make those lawyers civil servants who will never get rich by fsking with the system, and they will stop messing with it.

Also, any judge who found out about that refused mail trick would probably think *you* were fksfing with his work, and I expect he'd find a way to make you miserable until he got over it.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Nebula said:
Biker Bear - Just in case you find yourself in a repeat situation I urge you to contact someone - anyone - at the issuing court. You never know when some cranky old judge is going to issue a bench warrant.
Considering the amount of time that had passed, I imagine if anything were going to happen - it would have happened well before I found it. Personally, I have trouble taking a "summons" sent bulk mail terribly seriously for the reasons I've already mentioned.

In general, I agree with your feelings about jury duty - though I think the system needs to be more accomodating. One person I know who served told me that their token jury pay wasn't even enough to cover the parking fees at the courthouse! That's ridiculous - jurors shouldn't have to pay for parking at the courthouse in the first place!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to doubt I'd ever be selected for a jury. I'm a scientist, a computer geek, very well read and opinionated. ;) If the case involved some aspect in which I feel myself to be well informed - I would never, honestly, be able to 'set aside' my personal expertise if I see one side or the other making an idiotic, irrational or illogical claim.

Empath

Flashaholic
Administrative note: Some posts have been removed to limit thread disruption.

drizzle

Enlightened
I hope I'm not duplicating someone with this post. I got tired of reading through all the technicalities.

In addition to the suggestion of calling the court and asking for a re-scheduling of the JD, I would suggest immediately telling the employer about the summons and your wife's intent to try to get it re-scheduled. They may have their own ideas of what to do about it and they may actually prefer that she go sooner rather than later, depending on what her expected work responsibilities are.

By the way, I have called and re-scheduled my jury duty. The people were very nice about it. I think they are usually very accommodating when you make it clear you will serve but that now is not a good time.

Good luck!

Just my $0.02

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Her employer must allow her to go to jury duty. Short of being a student, you must show up. All the rules should be listed on the JD form. If she gets fired for going to JD, I would start suing her employer.

Mednanu

Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
...Does anyone have some solid advice on how to craft the response to the summons and request for excuse? This is State of California...

I do believe that if your wife were to answer all jury qualification questions posed to her while using a 'sock puppet' as her alter ego, that this should do the trick in getting her dismissed. Extra points are to be awarded for making the sock puppit barf in response to any one of the questions posed to it.

Sorry, I really couldn't resist suggesting this - I tried to, but not very hard to be honest.

One technicality which might help you though, is if you've moved to a different county recently ( and received a jury summons specific to the residence located in your old county ). The court won't let you serve if you reside in a county different than where the summons was issued. I actually tried to get on jury duty once when I was younger and had more time on my hands ( out of interest in experiencing the whole process ), but no matter how hard I had tried, they still wouldn't make an exception to allow me to serve due to the fact that my summons was sent to a prior mailing address within a different county. Keep in mind, if you read not too far between the lines here, there is a ( legal ) loophole available to those who look at this situation from a creative angle rather than interpreting it from a purely legal standpoint.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Jeez, why is this still going on? The thread started because of an apparent upcoming hardship from doing JD just as a new job was starting. The answer was, getting a 3 month deferment is trivial. So take the deferment, and then do the JD once the job is no longer so new. Don't avoid JD, it's good to have smart people on juries. The legal system may be screwed up but it's even more screwed up if all the smart people look for ways to escape JD.

I got a JD notice and called the number and they were very flexible in accomodating my schedule. The original notice gave a date about 3 weeks out and they asked if I wanted a later one. I said no, even 3 weeks is more than I like to plan ahead, I want an earlier date. They said "OK, how about tomorrow?". I said fine, they typed something into a computer, I showed up at the courthouse around 9 the next morning with about 60(?) other people. They played a video about the jury system (sort of interesting), then 1/2 hour later they said "will these people please go to courtroom so-and-so". They read off about 20 names so 1/3 of the room left for that courtroom. Another 1/2 hour later they did the same thing and read off another 20 people, who left for a different courtroom. They told everyone who hadn't been called (that included me) to go home. On my way out I saw one of the people who had been called to one of the courtrooms, and he said they didn't need him so they sent him home. I expect most others also got sent home.

All in all it was about a 3 hour gig, no big deal. Even if I'd actually gotten impanelled, they said most trials are just one day.

While there are many good exceptions, the legal and political systems are notorious for attracting sleazeballs. Juries composed of normal folks are one of our last defenses against that. So the last thing I want is professional jurors--i.e. full time members of that same legal and political system--deciding facts at trials. I do think jurors at civil trials should get paid a lot more, but other than that, the jury system is better than the alternatives.

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
Hear Hear.
I've seen new Hires go on vacation 2 weeks (sometimes less) after their start date. (and these are full 2 week vacations) Just tell your employer.
If a corporate employer is that flexible with vacation, you can bet they will be with in regards to Jury Duty.
Everyone get's Jury duty sooner or later, it's not something the HR dept of a corporation wouldn't know anything about.

Latest posts