Can you run a lithium battery and dc battery in parallel?

mjfwv

Newly Enlightened
Can you run a lithium battery and dc battery in parallel?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Short answer:

NO

Longer answer:

HELL NO ! ! !

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

josiahg52

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I'm not being disingenuous, but aren't all batteries DC?
Is it a US expression that I haven't learned yet?
P

I was thinking the same thing. In any case, it's generally not wise or advised to run cells/batteries of different chemistries or cells/batteries of vastly different age or condition in series OR parallel.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
@mjfwv:

Please define "run".
What lithium battery? (chemistry / brand / type / size / # of cells in series or parallel)
What DC battery? (same)

If with "run" was meant "discharge" (use), then YES. For example with a diode in series of each battery & using batteries with roughly equal voltage & current capability. This has some drawbacks though - therefore more details needed.
If "direct connect, charge and discharge" was meant, then NO. Different chemistries need different charging methods. Serious troubles may result if eg. lead-acid or NiMH charging method is applied to Li-ion battery. Differences in voltage / capacity / current capability only makes this worse.

In general if 1 battery doesn't suffice then a) use a bigger battery, or b) use more of the same batteries in series or parallel.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Yes you can, I used to do it quite regularly as backup power for CMOS SRAM.

Edit: it might be worth a mention that if you Did go the Diode route, there will be a 0.7v drop across it, so your 3v will be more like 2.3v ;)

Last edited: