canadian tire flashlight?

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
well took this thing outside for the first time. the throw is very impressive for a 30 dollar light, doing a runtime test as i speak

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
so far its 2.5 hours of usable light. 50% in about 1 hour. down to about 10 lumens at 2.5 hours on dollar store batteries, not even alkaline

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's typical for 3xAAA lights, but they usually only have 5mm LEDs in them, not Cree's.

Since you want it for your car, you should be using AAA Lithium cells in it to avoid the possibility of leaks and to also work in cold weather (assuming you are in an area where it gets cold to some degree) since alkaline cells do not perform well in the cold.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
thats another thing i was wondering. if you leave an alkaline cell in your car for long lests say 3 months and its is usually -20C or colder. does this wreck the battery or just make the run time shorter. because i have a set of alkalines that i left in my old flashlight in my ca rand they stil lwork fine, even when cold, not shuer on the runtime tho

dano101

Enlightened
I actually purchased the light you first referenced and in all honesty it wasnt that bad. The purpose was to use it as a 'drunk-in-the-bush' camping light that i knew i would probably lose after several wobbly-pops. The output is ok, probably similar to a 1AA or 2AA fenix light (but with much less quality). the fit and feel of the light was ok, but did not have the quality feel that something like a surefire G2 composite would have. the beam was a bit wonky (in the most technical of terms) and colour of the beam was pretty off-putting, but it did do its job in helping me find my way in and out of the trees. Still, for the same ballpark of money as other's had suggested, id be looking at something else. Oh... and i did end up losing it prior to having to change batteries, so i really couldnt comment on the runtime or drop-off in lumens as the batteries wore down.

Dont know if this helps... but knowing canadaian tire you could but the thing, use it for a couple weeks, then return it for any reason if you are not satisfied.

Daniel

dano101

Enlightened
give it a try then... worst thing your out is a bit of gas to take it back to the store. ive returned a used hockey puck to them because it was weird to track with the canadian tire logo on the top...they took it back... theyll take back the light if your not happy.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
give it a try then... worst thing your out is a bit of gas to take it back to the store. ive returned a used hockey puck to them because it was weird to track with the canadian tire logo on the top...they took it back... theyll take back the light if your not happy.

I'm sorry but I just LMAO when I read this. You returned a used puck?
:crackup:That's awesome!

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
WOW thats awsome good eye!!! maybe the little flashlight will be going back, i mean that hid would be impractical for little emergency jobs on side of road liek engine work but still, WOW

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
can anybody give me a ballpark on run time like what are we talkin 2-3 hours? on lithium AAA. i dont need the marathon light that runs for 30 hours just a cheap but bright light with decent throw. i really do want to buy locally because if i buy online ill end up with border charges as usual.

I see that you already bought your light from canadiantire. It looks like you really wanted to buy it locally which is fine, but you seem to be worried about border charges and I just wanted to say that I've never had a package opened or taxed when purchasing from dx or kd and thats from over a dozen orders atleast. Seems to me that packages coming from the US are much more prone to taxing and brokerage especially if using ups or fedex.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that packages coming from the US are much more prone to taxing and brokerage especially if using ups or fedex.
Never use UPS for shipments from the US to Canada!!! Their brokerage fees are highway robbery.

The fee that Fedex charges is reasonable, but getting items shipped by USPS First Class International is by far the best way to go.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
In my experience, ups will cost you a ridiculous brokerage 100% of the time, fedex brokerage sometimes is charged and sometimes is not but it is never as high as ups will charge.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info and now that i think about it the price of the item would be low anyway so tax would really not be alot but i also didnt want to wait close to a month and get a light that is either DOA or dead shorty after arrival

radu1976

Enlightened
In my experience, ups will cost you a ridiculous brokerage 100% of the time, fedex brokerage sometimes is charged and sometimes is not but it is never as high as ups will charge.

Two times I got some ebay products by UPS and I wasn't ripped off .
I paied 10$ every time - once it was about a jacket , the other time a bigger parcel - But I was pissed off as I have to call them to leave me the parcels at the job .
USPS FIRST CLASS is the best...it comes even faster than USPS PRIORITY FLAT ENVELOPE

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Never use UPS for shipments from the US to Canada!!! Their brokerage fees are highway robbery.

The fee that Fedex charges is reasonable, but getting items shipped by USPS First Class International is by far the best way to go.
Yes in that USPS seems to be a safe way to ship from US to Canada without getting any additional costs compared to if you used a courier service such as UPS, FEDEX, DHL. On eBay the US seller often ships by USPS to Canada as primary or alongside UPS or DHL or Fedex, otherwise I find they often agree to request to ship by USPS if not offered originally and usually for about same cost or even less. Ironically it can easily be more expensive to ship within Canada.

They suggest to use USPS as per http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=600014592&tstart=0&mod=1235559754166

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
so ive already got a pd30 but now i need somethign cheap with good throw for my car. Canadian tire has a noma flashlight with a CREE!!! led in it. it runs off of 3 AAA and it says 140 lumens. im wondering what would you expect for a runtime from a light with these specs. also im pretty shure its an XRE.
It may even be a XRC like the Coleman lights they sell.

The Noma branded lights or usually rebranded Brinkmann lights and some other lights are or were rebranded Dorcy or such. Some stores may still carry the old Noma branded Brinkmann Maxfire xenon 2xCR123 light for $25-30.

I have the ROMISEN RC-N3 Q5....it's considerably brighter than a COLEMAN 3AAA CREE LED from CanadianTire.
Well considering the ones there are with the less efficient XRC's no surprise.

NewbieBill

Newly Enlightened
This light has a Cree Q2 in it. I am getting just under an hour at full brightness using NiMh rechargeable. This is a very impressive light, very big light output. Even after 1 hour and dropping in intensity, it still had usable light for almost 15 hrs! I would like to try a 18500 lithium-ion rechargeable battery in place of the 3*AAA cartridge. Should bring full brightness for at least 2-3 hours. The textured reflector gives great spill, great throw, no artifacts, clean white light. I use this on my bike helmet, and it's perfect, bright, small, and it weighs next to nothing. I have seen it on sale twice now for $19.99, it's a steal.
I will post some outdoor beamshots sometime this weekend if possible.

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
Hey Canadian Forces, just a note about buying in Canada - I am located in Toronto

(and my kid is in the QYRang and my nephew in the PPCLI just left for Kandahar)

I have never had a problem buying from the US (or any other country).

I have everything shipped by USPS/Canada Post - hardly ever pay duty or taxes. And, the brokerage charge by Canada Post is $5.00 - so my worst case would be $5.00 +GST/PST.

If I miss a delivery at home the parcel goes to the Canada Post contract location 2 blocks from me. Very convenient to pick up and the owners Jenny and David are very nice.

NEVER have anyone from the US send you anything by UPS - they charge HUGE outrageous fees in adition to duty/taxes.

And one last tip. Some US dealers can't ship out of the country due to distributor agreements. I have a very inexpensive PO box in the US and when shipping is US only I have stuff shipped there, and then forwarded to me in Toronto. Still way cheaper than buying some stuff in Toronto. - like in one case half the cost.

Last edited: