20MPG City

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve SFI Dual VVT-i V6
269 hp @ 6200 rpm/246 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm
CURB Weight : 3655 Ibs
CITY/HIGHWAY 19/26 MPG

Last edited:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Man, you can't go wrong with the Civvies....I have an 8 year old one (EX 2 door 5 speed) with 85,000 on it, and I STILL get 40-42 mpg on the highway (cruise-control, 65-67). On vacation trips, I used to be able to fill up and drive close about 430-450 before the light would come on. I can still go about 420 now.

One year I went to North Carolina, had the A/C on the whole time, and a mountainbike on a Thule roof rack the whole ride down. I got about 38 that trip, both down and back.

Around the city, I get about 22-26, depending on driving style and weather.

One downside is that after 8 years, it's like the car is suspended on 4 very large fresh marshmallows. handling and cornering have gone to crap, and it's not the tires' fault. I'm thinking about getting a moderate after-market suspension on it now, just to firm it up. 5 mile daily commute through pothole city streets killed those shocks and springs.

Only problems in those 85,000 miles is that the exhaust system rusted out at about 65,000 (known problem with that model year, actually) ...and the FACTORY Battery had to be replaced last year. Factory tires (freakin Dunlops) lasted to 68,000, before they started to fail the penny test. Belts are starting to slip a bit, but those are gonna be replaced around 90,000, which is I think what the manual recommends.

Seriously man, take a good look at the civics. There's a reason why the resale is usually so high, and most owners hold on top them until they need to upsize (such as work or a growing family) or they're totaled. They just work, and work well.

Added:...I do know my cars and performance handling...I went from a '96 328is Sport Package BMW to the Civvie....lost a lot of performance and handling, but the trade-offs weren't that drastic. Insurance dropped $1200/yr, and I didn't have to worry about the neighbors dinging it out of jealousy. Also went from 31 MPG tops premium to 40+ MPG regular.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a couple of years and get a diesel passenger car. I say wait because we'll then get a much better selection than what is currently available.

Much more fuel efficient and (at least potentially) a more reliable longer-running engine with higher torque.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Factory tires (freakin Dunlops) lasted to 68,000, before they started to fail the penny test
What's the penny test?

Wait a couple of years and get a diesel passenger car. I say wait because we'll then get a much better selection than what is currently available.
Much more fuel efficient and (at least potentially) a more reliable longer-running engine with higher torque.
I heartily agree.

What choices do you USAnians currently have in the diesel department?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
VW GTI (01-04)
Good power, good fit and finish, FUN to drive, parts available

Agreed, used parts are a lot cheaper nowadays

BMW 3 series and / or the A4

and Agreed

Good luck! If you were looking to drop a bit more $$ I would look at the R32 :twothumbs

I agree VERY much! :rock: I was going to buy one myself!

What's the penny test?

The US "penny", or one cent coin, has a bust of Abraham Lincoln. I believe you stick the penny next to a tread with Abe's "head" first, and if the tread doesn't reach the top of Abe's head then it's time to get new tires.

You can google an image of a penny.

I think we have a few VW's, anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Dudemar

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The US "penny", or one cent coin, has a bust of Abraham Lincoln. I believe you stick the penny into one of the treads with Abe's "head" first, and if the tread doesn't touch the top of Abe's head then it's time to get new tires.

This is a really terrible rule if you drive in the rain.

:buddies:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A Civic Si would be a good choice. Roomy (for a compact car), manual tranny, decent performance, Honda reliability.

If you want more room, and a more powerful engine, consider a Nissan Maxima w/ a stick shift.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really terrible rule if you drive in the rain.

:buddies:

Agreed. Your tires are up ****'s creek by then.

A Civic Si would be a good choice. Roomy (for a compact car), manual tranny, decent performance, Honda reliability.

If you want more room, and a more powerful engine, consider a Nissan Maxima w/ a stick shift.

Both awesome choices!

Dudemar

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heartily agree.

Very very few. Maybe a 90 HP only VW TDI, an under-powered and not very fuel efficient Jeep Liberty, or the powerful but super-expensive TDI option on the VW Tuareg. For a while, you could get a 230 Mercedes diesel, but even this was stopped back in 1999 (I believe).

Even for pick-up trucks, generally you can get a diesel engine option only for the "commercial" level trucks (so 3/4 or 1 ton grade), not for the normal (1/2 ton) pickup trucks.

All the while commercial vehicles have the diesels as options. Plus for some strange reason diesel costs more than regular gasoline!

goldenlight

Enlightened
Toyota matrix? good gas milage, lots of room for 5 people and cargo, etc.

Given the number of large SUV's on the road, I personally wouldn't go with anything smaller than a Toyota Matrix or something equivalent in size.

I was in a Honda Fit recently, and all I can say is I don't want to be in one in an accident.

Hard to go wrong with a Toyota Corolla or Matrix (identical drive trains; the Matrix has a more useful layout). The Corolla looks more conventional, if that matters.

Or a Honda Civic. A little bit better mileage than the Corolla/Matrix; a stiffer ride.

I'd go with a smaller vehicle: gas prices are only going to increase