Christmas lights for the bike

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for battery powered LED Chrismas lights that we can attach to our bikes for the holiday season, which also happens to be the darkest time of the year.

Anyone have a recommendation where to get some good solid ones? We bought a few sets from Wallgreens in years past, but these were very cheap and broke easily.

Thanks,

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I've seen Philips brand battery powered LED strings, meant for Christmas wreaths and such, at Target.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of running to target today to check those out, but they look suspiciously like the cheap ones I got at Walgreens, which fall apart really quickly, and IMHO are not worth even buying for use on a bike.

MorePower

Enlightened
Hi from Madison...

Menard's on the west side of town had sets of Christmas lights that ran off 2 C cells. I'm pretty sure they cost less than $5, but I didn't take too close a look at them as far as construction / durability goes.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Here is another interesting option:

http://www.sollight.com/products/lc200.cfm

Uses your water bottle spots, use colored liquids and you can still drink the contents if they are potable. They sell just the cap so you could choose translucent green and red water bottles. Unfortunately, using ethanol as an anti-freeze in your water bottle is frowned upon by the authorities. Too bad, an amber wine on the down tube and a burgundy on the seat tube would light you...ooops! I mean the bike up nicely!

bikerjay

Newly Enlightened
+1 for bikeglow just some in at the bike shop I work at.
Appears to be a single led feeding a fiber optic cable. Its really cool because its one continuous string of light instead of a strand of points of light. They are quite long so one strand provides a lot of coverage and the steady, slow blink and blink settings are nice. I am hoping some one will hack one and try feeding the fiber optic with a RGB and a RGB light controller, that could really take it to another level.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for bikeglow just some in at the bike shop I work at.
Appears to be a single led feeding a fiber optic cable. Its really cool because its one continuous string of light instead of a strand of points of light. They are quite long so one strand provides a lot of coverage and the steady, slow blink and blink settings are nice. I am hoping some one will hack one and try feeding the fiber optic with a RGB and a RGB light controller, that could really take it to another level.

It's a electroluminescent wire.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
For the record, I went to Target and got the lights they had there for about $7 a bundle. I already have a lot of rechargeable AA batteries so these were the best choice for me. The are still not "heavy duty" with the same thin wires as our old Walgreens lights, but the build quality is better and the LED's themselves are MUCH brighter. Both my wife and I get multiple compliments on our Christmas bike lights on each trip we take at night. I think my wife said she got 5 compliments in her 20 minute commute on evening!

That and they add tremendously to visibility during the darkest time of the year, they're definitely a worthwhile purchase for any year-round bike commuter. 2 "strings" per bike does a pretty good job, but three would be brilliant.