CNC XPE bike light

syc

Newly Enlightened
Looks amazingly clean! What a slick little light that's going to be. :twothumbs

ktronik

Enlightened
Looks amazingly clean! What a slick little light that's going to be. :twothumbs

thank you Syc!! Its a real team effort all round, with my engineer being the one that makes the final product look so nice!! I can't thank him enough!!

I so wish I could post pics of the new Dynamo version & other model's but I am bound by 'disclosure' contracts for now on all new models in the range...

K

Last edited:

kinda666

Newly Enlightened
Where did you het the remote leads from? Have you made these yourself, and are they available to buy on there own?? :grin2:

ktronik

Enlightened
Where did you het the remote leads from? Have you made these yourself, and are they available to buy on there own?? :grin2:

Hey Kinda666,

Yes they are made by me, and are the 'race remote' (N.O type contact) they are not for switching power just for switching modes on the bflex...made to be as lite as possible for racing, but really you could use any N.O switch...we also have a CNC unit that fits the same switch in the works...

PM me if you need.

K

Andres

Newly Enlightened
So on Cutter Electronics, are these the 'K-Light' kit they are now selling? (But with no picture)?

To make sure I've got this clear in my head, you have the triple LEDs pre-wired in series. So with the blfex, they Vf of the LEDs will be approx 3.7 x x3 = 11.1V. And you can set the bFlex to deliver constant current of 1000mA to the LEDs. So would need probably 4, 3.7V li-ion batteries in series to run it nicely, giving each LED 3.7V @1000mA each.

Might have to buy one of these, already have a bflex and one of turboferret's 4x18650 battery backs waiting to be used. Woudl just need the enclosure, optics and LEDs.

1 last question, if you wanted 2, you could just run them in parallel off the battery (obviously with half the run-time) correct?

imageicon

Newly Enlightened
what a great little light ... truly a piece of art!

andres well i wouldnt run leds rated at a maximum 700 mah at a 1000... but else you are absolutely right you will need a 14.8v lithium pack to run this trough efficiently... 3s is just on the edge i recall the xpe leds have lower forward current 3.2v or around?? so thats 9.6 + 1v for the driver is 10.6 so when the current drop from your battery it will be underpowering the leds

Andres

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good mate. I've been keen to make my own housing at my old man's workplace, but it keeps getting put off. For the price, the amount of thought that has gone into your product is phenomenal. I really like the 'upgradability' of it.

Look forward to them becoming available and will keep my eye on Cutter website (who are also a very good bunch of people to deal with).

imageicon

Newly Enlightened
KTronik i belive your right if thermal properties are right they could probaly go at 1000 mah ...

I build a light with 6 xpe in it and by the looks it have quite smaller surface area than yours... standing still itll get too hot riding at speed it seem to be fine and riding slow it gets quite warm to the touch not alarmingly thou. and thats at 750. and i must say that is ALOT of light.

dom

Enlightened
I was ordering some stuff off Mark at Cutter this arvo
and he was saying these had just arrived.

He was very impressed with the quality and "smooth as butter" threads.

Top stuff Ktronik.

Cheers
Dpm

ktronik

Enlightened
I was ordering some stuff off Mark at Cutter this arvo
and he was saying these had just arrived.

He was very impressed with the quality and "smooth as butter" threads.

Top stuff Ktronik.

Cheers
Dpm

Hey Buddy, Hows trix??

So he is happy then, all good... :)

K

ktronik

Enlightened
Very nice looking setup. How does this light compare to the other Cutter kit, the one made by Night Lightning?

They make some great stuff, & have a few different kits, but for the triple would be same light output with cree R2 but max is 700ma, (k-light) some of there units have a 1200ma max & a tighter beam, so it depends on what you are looking for...

K-light is however smaller & uses smaller LEDs & optics, thus the difference...

K

Last edited:

spyderknut

Enlightened
This is a nice looking setup except I do not like the clamp. I would prefer a clamp that does not require me to remove everything from one side of my handlebars to mount or dismount.

Also, I have about 3 different bar diameters that I would want to use the same light on. Any thoughts of a quick detach mechanism and selling extra bar mounts of differing diameters?

Is the light going to be trail worthy?

ktronik

Enlightened
This is a nice looking setup except I do not like the clamp. I would prefer a clamp that does not require me to remove everything from one side of my handlebars to mount or dismount.

Also, I have about 3 different bar diameters that I would want to use the same light on. Any thoughts of a quick detach mechanism and selling extra bar mounts of differing diameters?

Is the light going to be trail worthy?

So quick to judge a product you have not looked @ properly!!

I don't mean to be rude, but you are mis-guided, as the clamp is resin, not alloy, it simply flexes over the narrow part of bar, next to the brake lever & does not require you to remove everything from one side of my handlebars to mount or dismount.

It is fully compatible with all 3 bar sizes, 25.4mm MTB, 26.0mm Road & 31.8mm, OS MTB / Road, with the use of a rubber shim to reduce to the smaller sizes...

K

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
Question via email...Quick question about the housing - how does indicator led mount?

Red LED is mounted to the board as per pic 11 & is viewed through the clear lexan rear lens / donut

or can be run out of unit by running 'ind LED +' out of the houising & hooking the 'ind LED -' to the '-' power lead, that way you are running only one wire out for external ind LED function. you could also parallel it up with another LED in the switch unit & I can offer this as a build extra.

switch can be run the same way with only one wire output & the other side to '-' power.

K

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
To clarify:

The K-light max is 700ma?
The Mini-Blaast can run at 1000ma I see. What would be the light output comparison- MB R2sat 1000ma, K-light XPE?
K-light is smaller than Mini-Blaast?

They make some great stuff, & have a few different kits, but for the triple would be same light output with cree R2 but max is 700ma, (k-light) some of there units have a 1200ma max & a tighter beam, so it depends on what you are looking for...

K-light is however smaller & uses smaller LEDs & optics, thus the difference...

K

ktronik

Enlightened
To clarify:

The K-light max is 700ma?
The Mini-Blaast can run at 1000ma I see. What would be the light output comparison- MB R2sat 1000ma, K-light XPE?
K-light is smaller than Mini-Blaast?

No Probs:

The K-light Max is 1000mA (tested), the XPE LED on paper is 700mA max, but some people will run them @ 1000mA...for testing I have been running mine @ 1000mA. it won't kill it, but it may reduce the overall '50,000 hrs before lumen degradation' factor... but really only if you run it with the thermal protection OFF & on FULL in still air. normaly, even if on 1000mA & the light gets too hot, the thermal protection will kick in cooling the light...

The Mini-Blaast is a 35mm optic, the K-light is a 20mm optic, both use cree R2 LEDs pretty much the same LEDs, but the 35mm optic goes down to 10 deg & the 20mm optic 16.4 deg, So yes K-light is smaller

So, given the same power & the same LED, given proper cooling, the light output would be basically the same, but that would be before the optic, after the optic may be different with different optics.

hope that helps

K

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Thanks, answers it all very well. 20mm- a seriously tiny powerhouse. This would be great for helmet-mounted lights.
How many lumens are you getting at 1000ma?, with good cooling airflow?

No Probs:

The K-light Max is 1000mA (tested), the XPE LED on paper is 700mA max, but some people will run them @ 1000mA...for testing I have been running mine @ 1000mA. it won't kill it, but it may reduce the overall '50,000 hrs before lumen degradation' factor... but really only if you run it with the thermal protection OFF & on FULL in still air. normaly, even if on 1000mA & the light gets too hot, the thermal protection will kick in cooling the light...

The Mini-Blaast is a 35mm optic, the K-light is a 20mm optic, both use cree R2 LEDs pretty much the same LEDs, but the 35mm optic goes down to 10 deg & the 20mm optic 16.4 deg, So yes K-light is smaller

So, given the same power & the same LED, given proper cooling, the light output would be basically the same, but that would be before the optic, after the optic may be different with different optics.

hope that helps

K

Latest posts