Coast Lights...Thoughts?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

My local Streamlight/Surefire dealer recently started carrying Coast lights. In the usual "new product" fashion, they are really pushing these lights over other brands (Streamlight, ASP, and even Surefire). I looked up the Coast website, and they have some pretty cool models and claim to have a decent warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? Are they durable? What brand would you compare them to with regard to quality?

Thanks!

I have owned Coast lights and while they were certainly functional, I would never recommend a Coast light over a Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta, Olight or any other tactical light.

They do have some more original designs that I at least could find useful under certain circumstances even if I would more likely carry something better, but at least there are places it would be acceptable.

I think that they think of themselves as competitive with Surefire and Streamlight. They aren't. They are overpriced when compared to their actual competition.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to pass on any coast lights I come across...

I use the HX5 every day. It's only $20, so you might consider giving it a try.

Full disclosure - I don't own any Surefire Elzetta or any other tactical light.

gottabotta

Newly Enlightened
Coast is just another cheap Chinese department store brand imo. They are better than some but, no where near the lights that Streamlight and especially Surefire are. They work fine for around the house I suppose but, I would likely go with Maglite over them if I was going to stick to department store brands personally. And, I would never trust them for any mission critical task.
Coast warehouse worker here, we're our own Portland based company. Coast builds some lanterns for Streamlight (we ship those too).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Coast HP7R was dual fuel before dual fuel was cool.
It had a USB port on the body long before most others did it or the battery pack can be charged outside of the light. The battery pack is an easily replaceable 18650 inside a plastic shell to make it the same size as the 4x AA carrier.
I still use my HP7 from 2014 from time to time. It's been dropped, kicked, drown, run over by a truck and still works fine. I'd say about the only thing that could kill is a leaking alkaline.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed opinions on Coast. They have a good selection of functional, entry level and working class lights.

I carry a Coast G22 penlight in my pocket for work.

Pros: single AAA, tail clicky with clip. Cool white beam. It *doesn't* use the Coast "inspection" beam pattern (which I despise) of a solid spotlight. Instead, it has a hotspot with decent spill. I can't think of the marketing word they used to describe this beam profile off the top of my head.

Con: two modes with very little difference between them, and it looks like PWM - if I look at moving parts, I get a strobe effect.

I also have the Coast G24 in my tool bag: x2 AA. pretty bright for the power, so I don't expect a lot of life from the batteries, but good enough for my needs at work. At $20, not bad.

Suffers from some of the same problems as the 22 - not much difference between the two modes and PWM, which limits how and where I can use it.

Coast won't take the place of: Surefire, Malkoff, Fenix. But as "beater" lights, they're not bad. I'm not interested enough to look at their higher end offerings. In general, I put them at the entry level of flashlights. Moving upward, Fenix, Pelican (I use the 2315 as a daily work carry), and Streamlight. High end: the usual suspects - Malkoff, Surefire, etc.

hsa

Enlightened
I have an HX-5 that I use in the summer when I get tired of eating bugs from my headlamp. It works good for this, handheld by my side at the widest focus so there is no hotspot at your feet. The zoom feature is very smooth. The tailcap switch is a little squishy and not confidence inspiring but in all honesty it has not failed.
I have one of their headlamps because it has adjustable brightness with a lever. It also has the zoom feature. It turns out I don't like the ramping feature much and the headband is terrible so I don't use it. The light itself though is good. If you are particular about tints, don't get one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had an adjustable head lamp like you cite strapped to my hard hat with petzel clips once. It was very handy. But one year when I had dropped off my truck at a repair shop somebody broke in it and stole the thing. Worst part? They stole the petzel clips too.

When the HP1 was $10 I bought several and gave them away at Christmas. I still have one stashed in a jacket pocket of a favorite jacket. It uses an eneloop pro to hold the unregulated output more steady than an alkaline could.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually overpriced, unregulated, and not very waterproof. Other than that, if you find a deal on one or two lights at Home Depot around Black Friday, they make decent loan out lights for friends and family (as long as they don't need them for something that will get them really wet or dropped hard- caving, backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing). For headlights, best to try Fenix, Nitecore, or even something like Sofirn. For flashlights there are way more, better, and cheaper options.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
40AB3305-2D04-4050-BD1D-A3B701E7F880.jpeg

Found these in a jacket pocket today. The HP1 and a first gen Pelican 2350. Pipe inspection in daylight flashlights from several years ago.
Eneloop pro fed btw.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually overpriced, unregulated, and not very waterproof. Other than that, if you find a deal on one or two lights at Home Depot around Black Friday, they make decent loan out lights for friends and family (as long as they don't need them for something that will get them really wet or dropped hard- caving, backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing). For headlights, best to try Fenix, Nitecore, or even something like Sofirn. For flashlights there are way more, better, and cheaper options.
For better and cheaper, what would you suggest for x2 AA flashlight, one or two modes?