Coleman 325 lumen 250 meter battery guard flashlight

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After reading you had trouble I just used poultry scissors we keep handy in the kitchen for cutting zip ties, slabs of bacon in half, and opening plastic packaging etc.

Had I not read your words I probably would have tried it with a knife.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head also comes off and you can use it for a mule and the hotspot widens as you unscrew it. I think it is a hidden feature that has to discovered. If they highlighted it on the package Mr. Tony might sue them.

Also, the ml25 3c 173 lumen flashlight throws further.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
some of the older coleman battery guard lights can be locked out then a cardboard cereal box strip rolled up to take up space not taken by an 18650.
battery guard is a joke since it does not prevent the real threat to a flashlight.
leakage damage.
li ion almost never leak,you eliminate 6 points of failure in the carrier,and can get 3x capacity if you use something like a samsung 35,panasonic ncrb,ect.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the battery guard gimmick is an old ideal with a new twist I admit, but it probably works. I don't think the problem is as bad as they make it out to be since only a few flashlights do it and that can be resolved by unscrewing the tailcap. I just think they are trying what they can to make folks at least consider their lights.

I assume though on what you're talking about that sony evaloops (sp?)
can be substituted for aaa's. I'm also considering them since alkalines only lasts an hour on high.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
some of the older coleman battery guard lights can be locked out then a cardboard cereal box strip rolled up to take up space not taken by an 18650.
battery guard is a joke since it does not prevent the real threat to a flashlight.
leakage damage.
li ion almost never leak,you eliminate 6 points of failure in the carrier,and can get 3x capacity if you use something like a samsung 35,panasonic ncrb,ect.

I agree that AAAs are a lot less powerful and under a load you may be talking 4-5 times the capacity if you try and run it at 300+ lumens for long it cannot sustain it

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The old fashioned slider switch is notorious for parasitic drain. It's one reason why back in the day the batteries in the ole wack-a-palm flashlights always seemed to be dead when the all night generator konked out.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
no i am talking about 18650 li-ion cells.
1 replaces the whole aaa carrier.
Well, the battery guard gimmick is an old ideal with a new twist I admit, but it probably works. I don't think the problem is as bad as they make it out to be since only a few flashlights do it and that can be resolved by unscrewing the tailcap. I just think they are trying what they can to make folks at least consider their lights.

I assume though on what you're talking about that sony evaloops (sp?)
can be substituted for aaa's. I'm also considering them since alkalines only lasts an hour on high.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
now we have a microprocessor running them down.
when i was growing up i was called crazy when i mentioned that eventually computers would be so cheap that everything would contain one even the lowly flashlight.
and here we are!
container for storage of dead batteries because its designed to kill them.
The old fashioned slider switch is notorious for parasitic drain. It's one reason why back in the day the batteries in the ole wack-a-palm flashlights always seemed to be dead when the all night generator konked out.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
no i am talking about 18650 li-ion cells.
1 replaces the whole aaa carrier.

I know. I wouldn't go there with that light. What I meant to say and forgot was evaloops would be as high as I would go. Bykfixer ruint a ml25 by putting a lithium ion in it. I mean, this isn't one of those lumentop tool 2.0's that can take 3 types of batteries. I wouldn't try a 18650 unless they recommended it.

Just one lithium ion the size of a aaa (14500?) with the other two places in the carrier being filled with a dummy battery might be too much

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 alkaleaks or nimh= 1 li-ion.
no danger of damage.
if it goes up in smoke on li-ion it would do the same on nimh(eneloops)