Combined lens/reflector optic studies

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Combined lens/reflector studies

Tomas,

Yeah, when I get a chance, I'll do just that. If I can fix the lens to the bezel ring, screwing it in and out will change the beam angle of the refractive element. I want to try placing one of these in a PM6 head where both the lens and LED placement within the reflector can be adjusted. I believe with this comb, it may be possible to adjust a beam beyond the "black hole" result of reflector only set ups.

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic

Sometimes Don just disappears, and I wonder what he's up to. Then I do a quick scan of CPF and find out.

This is a technology that the premier "focusabe" flashlight maker should be interested in! Yes, I'm talking about MagLight!

Keep the flogging to a minimum, please.

What I really mean is that we haven't yet had the luxury of a GOOD focusable beam. Then I see what Don has done and I sit here and nod my head like one of those plastic dogs on the rear package shelf of a car. This is awesome stuff that just makes me giddy.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ok,

Below are beam shots with the same light same distance to target and same manual exposure on the camera. The beam on the left is with just a flat lens and the beam on the right has the 1/2 ball optic mounted on a flat lens. The first shot is as the camera saw it and the two following images are the same image adjusted in photoshop to give an idea of light saturation.

before-after.jpg

before-after-l.jpg

before-after-d.jpg

I think it is reasonably clear how and where the added lens has re distributed the light. I just tried the light outside and it throws well with more overall light going well forward as compared to before the lens was added. There is still ample perimeter light so there is no sense of a search light with a sharp break from light to shadow.

The dang thing works!

- Don

Otokoyama

Enlightened

The "stand off" stub is a great idea. It doesn't appear that you attempted to optimally focus the refracted light, yet it beefs up the hot spot, and harnesses the side spill into a useful addition that's not completely overcome by the hotspot as the side spill usually is. Nice!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Otokoyama,

I really don't like artifacts and that is why I prefer the reflectors with an orange peal surface over the NX05 and 30 MM. I also see no advantage in projecting the image of the die (grill) in focus.

I just took a lux reading for this set up and then put a 30 mm in the head and measured it.

combo - 1410 lux
30 mm - 1800 lux

I prefer the evenness and light density disbursion of the combo over the 30 mm and it's a bonus to me that this is the closest I have come to the lux reading of the 30 mm.

It would be very interesting to see what the luminous output of the two optic packages is for an indication of relative efficiency. My money is probably on the 30 mm given my hack job. However, if I were to lift the 30 mm off the LED as some have suggested for "de focusing", all bets are off.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

If only we had a ray-tracing program that understood diffraction, and the different optical materials.

Perfect the lens designs, then ask Edmund Optical to make custom ultra-high grade optics.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The latest test case is with a PM6 hosting an overdriven 1W LD - Q4J (700 mA):

PM6-combo-1W-LD.jpg

In the beam shot below, the 1/2 ball lens shot is on the right:

PM6-combo-beams.jpg

In a relative comparison of lux readings, adding the 1/2 ball lens brought the lux from 620 to 820. I finished the PM6 module last night and was real impressed with the punch this light has. I just finished making the 1/2 ball lens today so I am looking forward to darkness once again to see how well this package works.

In the head on images above, the "dead" space around the LED can be seen on the left and I sized the 1/2 ball in diameter to roughly match this size. The 1/2 ball lens is certainly crude in respect to an optic element and the diameter of the mounting stub likely cuts down on efficiency to a good extent. I also have no idea what radius for the convex surface of the 1/2 ball would be typically ideal. The larger the radius, the wider the refracted beam and the smaller the radius, the tighter the refracted beam.

- Don

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is an impressive thread.
Although I don't understand much of what I read in it, I do understand the beamshots.
Keep up the good work and research, guys.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
....Although I don't understand much of what I read in it, ......

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, the communication is complete since I haven't a clue what I'm talking about! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

Mc Gizmo,
You're getting warmer! This is so close to my collmiflectors I have been working on that if it were a snake you would have been bitten. Would what you have done be focusable? Have you ventured the possibilities of SE, LD and HD emitters? Sorry if I missed something in the posts here I just glanced over it.

I have been able to work with the SE and LDs so far and it looks as though I am on the right track but the lack of the correct tools is really hindering my progression. My latest efforts were with the EverLeds and if my eyes are not playing tricks on me I have really found a direction to work in. I think I should be able to dial in the HDs as well but only time will tell.

Good work McGizmo!

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey all mixulators, lumixators, and DIXIE CHicks!

Very interesting thread for a layman such as myself. Wonder if one of those laberatory glasses/tubes (looks like a thin "U")could be used as a standoff between the half-ball lens and the front glass? usually they have a flange on the rim, i think, so it would have to be cut two places?
Some of them has a (hollow) half-ball-like shape at the bottom, could this be used instead of the acrylic? Then the tube would probably have to be filled with something other than air, such as? ...

Sig -

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Where did you guys get the lenses? Might it be possible to use a 22mm lens to better focus the floodlight-beam of my P61-modded E2e?

Latest posts